Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
noemie
AF Newbie

impala 3.4 vs 3.8

hi i want to buy a 2001 impala 3.4 l
i was told that the 3.8l was much better and had less problems...now i dont know much about cars can someone tell me what the 3.4l motor has in terms of problems...
thankyou so much!!!
noemie
xxx
noemie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 10:02 AM   #2
impalalover
AF Newbie

Re: impala 3.4 vs 3.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by noemie
hi i want to buy a 2001 impala 3.4 l
i was told that the 3.8l was much better and had less problems...now i dont know much about cars can someone tell me what the 3.4l motor has in terms of problems...
thankyou so much!!!
noemie
xxx
the 3.4 is a better engine they only had problems with the head gaskets in 2000-2003, the 3.4 is lot smother,better on gas and can keep up side by side with a 3.8 on the highway,we have the 3.8's in our police crusiers and they keep blowing up

Last edited by impalalover; 01-16-2008 at 04:20 PM.
impalalover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 06:19 PM   #3
wafrederick
Banned

The 3.4 have problems with intake gaskets also.Fel Pro makes metal intake gaskets for them in place of the plastic intake gaskets.They are more money than the plastic ones and are a lot better.The 3.8 has has problems with the upper intakes and most parts stores stock them.
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008, 11:21 PM   #4
phewop118
AF Regular

3.8 is a hundred times better. 3.4 sucks in every way. Weak at all speeds, noisy, coarse at speeds above 3k rpm, known oil and coolant leaks, mainly due to bad intake gaskets and often times head gaskets. It also doesn't get the greatest gas mileage. Occasionally, it can start really hard too.

The 3.8 is definetly more powerful, enough for a car as large as the Impala. Its smooth at all speeds, great on gas, completely reliable, and cheap to maintain. The only thing that can go wrong is the upper intake.
2005 GMC Yukon XL SLT w/Autoride 86k miles
2007 Pontiac Grand Prix GT 77k miles
2007 Cadillac DTS Lux II 47k miles

In Limbo:
2003 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 - got side swiped while parked, waiting on insurance decision

Recent Past:
2007 Hummer H3 5-speed Lease was over 7/17/10
phewop118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
cbmcleaning
AF Newbie

I bought a used 2003 Impala...3.4...and it is VERY VERY strong and fast.

I have built up a few hotrods...my last was an IROC Z that I put a PAXTON SUPERCHARGER setup on.....so I know what speed is..

My Impala...is so smooth at ALL RPM ranges....and handling is awesome....and the quick jump off the line...is unmatched...in it's class.

I think the problems that have been spoken of here come mainly from ABUSE of the cars..and LACK OF MAINTENANCE...which will happen in any model car.

You must take care of your ride..and your ride will take care of you....!

THE 2003 IMPALA is an awesome car.....for the money especially...!!!
cbmcleaning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 09:25 PM   #6
phewop118
AF Regular

Every 3.4 built through 2003 will experience gasket problems that can lead to major engine problems if not taken care of rapidly. Most 3.8's will also have similar problems. However, all in all, the 3.8 is a much more reliable and durable motor. While most 3.4's will never make it beyond 120k miles, the 3.8 is generally good for 200k+ miles.

I don't know what 3.4 you are talking about, but smooth and powerful do not apply. Perhaps if you are comparing it to an 80's car or a 4 cylinder, but no way is it even close to being as smooth or powerful as most modern motors. The 3.8 is one of the best for smoothness (though occasionally it can sound loud at redline) and has great power up until about 90 mph, at which point it no longer will pull quite as strong.

In Limbo:
2003 Oldsmobile Aurora 4.0 - got side swiped while parked, waiting on insurance decision

Recent Past:
Old 01-19-2008, 01:14 AM   #7
cbmcleaning
AF Newbie

whatever... my Impala ... is strong and works like a charm ...you think I'm dreaming or making this up...give me a break.

If you don't like the car... go on down the road....I'm telling you...the engine is STRONG..and .... the power is clean and strong throughout the RPM...range..

My car is WELL maintained.... and strong...

to each his own.....

Old 01-19-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
cbmcleaning
AF Newbie

Every DAY...I'm leaving all makes and models behind....quick takeoff...good gas mileage..... strong. pulll of the line...

hey I know what.... bring on whatever it is you are driving...and meet me at the stoplight...OK...

Put your money where your mouth is...

Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 AM   #9
impalalover
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by phewop118
Every 3.4 built through 2003 will experience gasket problems that can lead to major engine problems if not taken care of rapidly. Most 3.8's will also have similar problems. However, all in all, the 3.8 is a much more reliable and durable motor. While most 3.4's will never make it beyond 120k miles, the 3.8 is generally good for 200k+ miles.

I don't know what 3.4 you are talking about, but smooth and powerful do not apply. Perhaps if you are comparing it to an 80's car or a 4 cylinder, but no way is it even close to being as smooth or powerful as most modern motors. The 3.8 is one of the best for smoothness (though occasionally it can sound loud at redline) and has great power up until about 90 mph, at which point it no longer will pull quite as strong.
I have 12 friends here where i am living with same car with the 3.4,8 of them are taxi drivers using the 3.4 and as for the engine not making it past 120 km's,bull, they have anywhere fom 350 000 km'sto the last one having a 620 000 km's and that impala has been on the rd since 2000 when they first come out,not only that we get six months on harsh winter with temps going as low as -35 to -40 in newfoundland
Old 01-19-2008, 06:58 AM   #10
impalalover
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmcleaning
whatever... my Impala ... is strong and works like a charm ...you think I'm dreaming or making this up...give me a break.

If you don't like the car... go on down the road....I'm telling you...the engine is STRONG..and .... the power is clean and strong throughout the RPM...range..

My car is WELL maintained.... and strong...

to each his own.....

Ya i agree with you,the only people who have the impala with the 3.8 shoot the 3.4' down because they have'nt had one
Old 01-19-2008, 07:50 AM   #11
57chevyragtop
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to 57chevyragtop

Well, I might as well join the fray...I have had my 02 imp 3400 for 2.5 years. 61k at purchase I have put 12k on it in that time and had (0) engine problems. It is plenty strong for my taste, but then I am 58 so the younger guys may want more as the 3.8 does have....I am sure they are similar in maintenence costs as far as oil and coolant needs, and tuning. Regular oil and filter changes, and coolant every 2 years, trans filter/oil 60k intervals will keep you on the road with either engine you choose. I have had to replace the battery, rotors and pads 65k...one wheel bearing front, and plugs and wires......Oh, one windshield....and one coolant flush and refill and one air filter and one cabin filter (under pass side cowl). Nothing there you couldn't have with any make or model car on the market in todays offers. The only complaint I have is the noisy valve train and not so great in town mileage. In mileage disscussions in this forum it is said many times the 3.8 does better in this category....but driving habits play a big role in these claims and for sure determination is not possible in this matter.
57chevyragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 07:47 PM   #12
phewop118
AF Regular

As for the comment about taxis, I believe any Impala that was ordered with the Taxi or Police package included the 3.8 and an HD transmission + HD suspension, despite having the base Impala looks.

As for those of you who think the 3.4 is so great, go drive a 3.8 and it will knock you to the floor. I owned a 3.4 (Venture) a few years ago and currently own a 3.8 s/c (Grand prix) and the difference in refinement and power is incredible. But that's comparing apples to oranges. I've driven many 3.8 naturally aspirated vehicles, including several Impala LS's. The 3.8 is hands-down one of the best engines ever made. The 3.4 is a real crappile in comparison. Trust me. I've driven them both alot. I know. I also see in daily life the miles that 3.8's can put on, whereas 3.4's won't last nearly as long.

In Limbo:

Recent Past:
Old 01-21-2008, 07:34 PM   #13
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

As mentioned above, a vehicle will usually last as long as the maintenance and timely repair will take it. That said, the 231 Buick V-6 is probably the best all-around V-6 ever made. It has been in use since the mid '60s in everything from sports cars to sedans to Jeeps to vans to commercial engines. The rotating assembly is massive for it's displacement, the valve train is bullet-proof (not so easy to say about the 3.1/3.4L Chevy V-6), the block has superior web design between banks, and the wider main journals (15mm vs. 23mm) spread out the forces over a larger area, making bearing life far superior. As a result, they don't suffer the notorious piston slap and rod knock that so many of the Chevy V-6s do. They have also been boosted to levels that would shred the block on the 3.1/3.4L Chevy engine, namely in Turbo Buick like the GN and Pontiac TTA, and to even higher levels of power by custom builders. They seem to get along just fine making 500 HP, where the Chevy V-6 would not last long at that rate.

Again, for a normally street driven engine, timely maintenance and repair should take either to very high mileage, but the Buick just has the design which makes it inherently more stable and robust, giving it a distinct advantage in survival.
Old 01-22-2008, 05:06 AM   #14
57chevyragtop
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to 57chevyragtop

Blue Bowtie, Very well written and easy to understand. Thanks for the post and for mentioning the idea here for the most part, concern is for the street use vehicle. Kudo's from Southwest OH....!
57chevyragtop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Wolverine416
AF Newbie

IMO most of the 3.8 i know of wih propper care go well over 150k
Wolverine416 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS