Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-12-2001, 04:36 PM   #1
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Engine cuts out, then comes back on... why?

Hey all, I've been driving my grandma's 87 Toyota Tercel (auto) for a month or two, and for the last couple weeks, its been acting pretty strange.

Sometimes it will run perfect, you step on the gas, and it shifts into the passing gear, and speeds up, keeps its speed, etc. It seems to run the best after its been sitting for a day or two.

Other times, it takes forever just to get up to 45-50 mph, and when it does get there, the motor will just cut out if you take your foot off the gas a little bit.

You can press the petal to the floor, and the motor doesnt do anything for a few seconds, then the motor comes back on and makes all kinds of noise like its in the passing gear, but I actually lose power. If i back off the gas a little bit, I can feel it start to speed up a bit.

My boss at work who used to be a mechanic said it might be the ignition coil, but I wanted to get some other opinions before I go out and drop the cash on a coil that might not even be the cause of the problem.

Thanks in advance for any help...

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2001, 05:05 PM   #2
Grendel
AF Enthusiast

Stuff gets pushed to the bottom quick here eh? :P

-Grendel
Grendel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2002, 07:26 PM   #3
Integrator
AF Newbie

I just got a 90 tercel for a winter beater it had the same problem until one day it would only run for about five minutes and then it would stall. I ended up taking the carb right off and cleaned it very good and put it back on. After that the car runs absolutely perfect. Try spraying some carb cleaner in the carb without taking the carb off and make sure to check all vacuum lines and fuel lines for leaks.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:16 PM   #4
bmxfaith45
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bmxfaith45 Send a message via Yahoo to bmxfaith45
timing seems to be the problem of the trecels, but it could also be the valves, i replaced all the valves in my trecel now it rus great. that is the reason all trecels smoke, the valves go out after about 100g miles, you could get your spark plugs checked, maybe the wires or distributor, most likly not the battery but there is a chance. there u go, now go get your car checked up on by a profesional
bmxfaith45 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > Tercel