Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Impala | Impala SS
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 03:30 PM   #1
sstart01
AF Newbie

Exclamation blower fan won't ever shut off??

I have a 2004 Chevy Impala and my blower fan motor keeps running and constantly blows air out of the vents even when i shut my car off and take the key out. It will drain the battery dead unless i take the fuse out under the hood from the fuse box. I checked all fuses and none of them are blown. Has anyone had this problem before or know how i could fix this?
sstart01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:07 PM   #2
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Re: blower fan won't ever shut off??

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstart01 View Post
I have a 2004 Chevy Impala and my blower fan motor keeps running and constantly blows air out of the vents even when i shut my car off and take the key out. It will drain the battery dead unless i take the fuse out under the hood from the fuse box. I checked all fuses and none of them are blown. Has anyone had this problem before or know how i could fix this?

this is usually the blower relay defective. this should be at the blower resistor assy...
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 06:24 PM   #3
danielsatur
AF Enthusiast

The blower motor control module is connect to a bat fuse under the hood.
Isolate bat fuse until blower turns off.

The owners manual will not tell you what fuse # is for the blower, but it will show you the bat fuse's.
danielsatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:35 AM   #4
irawilkerson
AF Newbie

I just had this problem with my 2010 Impala, warrenty sucks so I fixed it myself., Advanced Parts # BR263 / $46.99+tax . This is not easy to get to but I did it under 1 hr, I would suggest in buying a dremil tool or have a bullet die grinder bit for a drill, thats what I used. The origional part has one 5.5 mm bolt and 2 plastic studs that was melted to form a rivit like hold to keep the module /Resistor in. Remove the kick panel passengers side, 3 plugs and its out, the module is way in the back , unplug the connector, remove the 5.5 mm bolt grind out the plastic plugs and the unit can then be pulled out. Now you will need a extra bolt since it only had one, I found a 1/4 head screw to go in its place, and used that dont use to big of a bolt/screw make sure it fits before reinstalling the module. Put the Module back up in the area make sure you get it in the correct way you took the old one out, put your bolts in and plug it back in. Replace the kick panel and you should be ready to go. Replacing this will also help if 1-2 positions on than fan dont work.. I hope this helps,
irawilkerson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
awesomepossum
AF Newbie

I had the same problem and isolated it to a 30A battery fuse.

Can i drive the care with the fuse out?
awesomepossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Tech II
AF Fanatic

When you jump on a thread like this, you have to be a little more informative....

While you may have the same problem, you may have a different year vehicle, and you may have a different system.....

Some cars have resistor blocks and a high speed relay, while others may have a blower control module......

Can you drive the vehicle with the 30 amp fuse disconnected? Sure.....only question is, does that fuse also feed another circuit? If it does, you lose that circuit.......so your options are, leave fuse out, or disconnect the harness to the blower motor.......

This is for a 2004 model.....But with summer coming, you want that blower motor for cooling.....it's either the control head or the blower control module.....easy to determine......put the 30 amp fuse back in.....key off...open door...does blower run?

If yes, then remove the RADIO, HVAC, RFA, CLSTER ALDL fuse(15a) from the I/P fuse block......if the fan continues to run, it's the blower module....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 02:53 PM   #7
jpwhit243
AF Newbie

Hi..... So I have a 2012 Malibu and I am having the exact same issue. Blower fan won't turn off, fan speed won't change, and I have to pull a fuse to turn it off. Is the fix listed above something that would also work for my Malibu?
jpwhit243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwhit243 View Post
Hi..... So I have a 2012 Malibu and I am having the exact same issue. Blower fan won't turn off, fan speed won't change, and I have to pull a fuse to turn it off. Is the fix listed above something that would also work for my Malibu?
not sure on a 2012 Malibu BUT I would drop /remove the blower motor and see if its got burned up wiring and connectors etc at the motor connector and resistor assy next to the motor.

post back why it is bad . if it is burned up report to the dealership and NHTSA.
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:33 AM   #9
Tech II
AF Fanatic

The solutions are different for different vehicles, depending on if you auto temp controls or manual controls......

Auto temp, could be a blower module.....

Manual, could be a stuck high speed relay....
Tech II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #10
Pinedaj831
AF Newbie

I have similar problem. A.c. and heater works fine but when it's on off you can still feel air coming in. Only when pressing the gas. I checked and everything was off any idea what it can be ? It's a 2009 2.4 eco tech.
Pinedaj831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #11
Desiree77
AF Newbie

I also have a 2004 Chevy Impala and this problem just started. I will turn the car completely off take the keys out of the ignition but my fan for the AC and heat will not shut off. It would keep going for hours and hours if I would let it. I knew that the battery would go dead so I went to my local O'Reilly's and nobody there knew what was going on but one of their workers came out and took the fuse out and the blower went off but as soon as we put the fuse back in the blower came right back on. And that was with the car off and keys out of the ignition. A friend removed some type of relay or switch or something from the panel on the driver side beside the steering wheel. But whatever he did it didn't fix it. If anyone knows how to fix this I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you for reading, I would appreciate any help I can get on this subject.
Desiree77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 04:59 PM   #12
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

Its the blower resistor. They fail in many different ways and this is one of the ways.