Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2004, 12:48 PM   #1
biffs
AF Newbie

Need Help chosing Mid-size SUV

Hello.

I currently am driving a 98 Mazda Protoge with >215k on it.

I'm married and have 2 kids, and the little car just isnt cutting it anymore. So im looking at getting a used (2002 and on) mid size SUV. I am looking at a few models:

Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy
Honda Pilot
Isuzu Ascender/Rodeo
Nissan X-terra
Hyndai Santa Fe
Suzuki XL-7

I have NO idea which models are more reliable, which cost more to maintain, etc, etc. All i know is with my mazda now, im constantly bringing it in for something that will just not go away and im sick of fixing it.

Things that are important:
We do alot of driving. both on the highway and City
Cost is important. Cheaper the better
We are an active family - go camping during the summer, etc
Where my parents live we sometimes cant get up a hill in the winter, so good traction control is a must
Lots of interior room for 4 ppl and luggage
Good towing - trailer, boat, etc

anyways, if there are any models im missing, let me know, and post your opinions on what i mentioned.

thanx
biffs
biffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 05:57 PM   #2
mason_RsX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to mason_RsX
Of those I would 100% put the blazer on the top of the list... My friend's dad has about the same needs as you do and his blazer has never let him down... It drives well in all terrain, isn't to expensive and pretty reliable, has great off road capabilities (hes pulled his neighbours explorer out of the woods, in the winter), its got alot of space, and it can tow boats without any problem....I would also consider the Pilot for its easy driving, and reliability

I also have to say that the blazer is the only one in the list I have been able to see in the conditions you are talking about
mason_RsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
dbebesi
AF Enthusiast

Re: Need Help chosing Mid-size SUV

ok. kick out the santa fe, xl-7, and rodeo, right now. FORGET them. ok, now we have the blazer, xterra, and the pilot. pilot's going to have the best gas milege, and least power (towing capacity), and prolly best reliabilty, and most likely the most expesive. the xterra, i know little about, but they can't be that bad on power, and gas milege. my pick however, would be the blazer. the body is out dated, and the interior is drab. but if you take care of a 4.3 vortec (the only motor avalible), it will run forever. blazer's have there known problems, temp controls, wiper motors, ac compressors, but the later model one's fixed a lot of that, and the parts are a lot cheaper if something did go wrong. gas milege wouldn't be as good, but you could find a 02 or 03 4x4 around here in ohio for 15,000 easy. a lot cheaper than the pilot or xterra, and the towing capacity would be the best with the blazer. it's a shame gm is doing away with the 4.3 v6, i've owned two personally with over 300,000, and two in the family over 200,000. good running shit. anyhow, any of those three i believe would treat you well.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 AM   #4
blindside.AMG
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to blindside.AMG
I'd choose a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I think it's a better vehicle all around than the ones listed. If I had to choose one off the list I'd go with the Xterra based on looks, off-road capability, and I haven't heard too many bad things about reliability.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:19 AM   #5
Jimster
Here for the pussy, man.

Send a message via ICQ to Jimster Send a message via AIM to Jimster Send a message via Yahoo to Jimster
Re: Need Help chosing Mid-size SUV

I'd have a Santa Fe, it can handle certain off road duties, but would be destroyed if it ever went anywhere like Rock climbing etc. So yeah, I'd take the Santa Fe.

2007 Audi A4 3.0 TDI Le Mans
Jimster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 10:04 AM   #6
del
móddə rąytər

since you have a family, i would put the pilot at the top. 3 rows of seating, the most reliable out of the bunch. it's a "softer" SUV and not very rugged, not gonna climb over rocks as well as others, not gonna tow the heaviest of trailers but for the average family it'll do fine in all those areas, has the car-like ride, a lot of room inside - the most room in this group, and it's practical to say the least. looks bland and boring but i think out of these SUV's, for a family with your uses, it's the best excuse for not buying a minivan.
del is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2004, 01:44 PM   #7
biffs
AF Newbie

Ok, yeah I didnt thing the XL-7 was going anywhere... lol

I am kind of leaning towards the Honda Pilot. I really like how it has that 3rd row of seats. I couldnt find it anywhere, but can you remove the 3rd row seat, like in a suburban, or does it only fold down? Also, how reliable are Hondas generally, spefically the engine & tranny?

About the Blazer, yes its a nice truck, but i find it a bit small and the looks, well there drab.

I find the Jeep Cherokees are fairly expensive compared to the rest.

This may be a stupid question, but does the Kia Sorento fall into the same category as the XL-7 & Isuzu?
biffs is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons