Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Lancer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:28 AM   #1
maikeru katinka
AF Newbie

Lancer cc 1994 transmission solenoid buzz

Hey guys. I recently put a used transmission into my lancer as the old one catastrophically failed (while on a date!). Everything seems to be running normally. However.

I have a lancer cc automatic that appears to have a solenoid issue, or an issue with power going to the solenoid.

When turn the power on the ignition (not starting the engine), if I shift the gear stick to drive there is a buzzing sound coming from the transmission.

Weirdly, If i slightly depress the accelerator it turns off. If I move the throttle at the engine, it also cuts the buzzing.

If I shift to Low gear, the buzz is consistent, and the accelerator pedal doesn't affect it.

The engine running or not doesn't seem to matter, the sound is there. The car runs great, and the transmission seems to be shifting beautifully.

If i disconnect the solenoid connector, the buzzing stops. There are four wires. I broke the red wire during install, and repaired it. I can now pull the red wire out, and interestingly this did not stop the buzz. I believe that the red wire powers 3 or the 4 solenoids... so possible i have an issue in the fourth.. Im only guessing..

Does anyone have a clue whats going on? If there was a problem, why does it happen when the engine is off as well!? Will it likely burn the solenoid out with all that buzzing ?

Thanks for any advice in advance.
maikeru katinka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:02 AM   #2
shorod
SHO No Mo

Re: Lancer cc 1994 transmission solenoid buzz

Since the buzzing occurs even when the engine is not running, that would suggest it's electrical in nature. A solenoid that is either getting low power, has an intermittent connection, or is receiving a pulsed signal could/would buzz similar to how you describe.

Since the only changes are the installation of the used transmission and the repaired wire, I think you are on the right track to focus your efforts there, but I would first confirm your battery is charged and you have good system voltage. Assuming the system voltage is good, then track down a wiring diagram for your car's transmission to get a better understanding of what the red wire powers along with what the other wires power to help you narrow down which solenoid is making the noise so you can further focus your efforts.

-Rod
shorod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2018, 08:23 AM   #3
shorod
SHO No Mo

I took a peek at this website and even though they don't show a listing in the wiring diagrams for a 1994 Lancer, a bit more research indicated that the 1994 Lancer is based on the Mirage, which the site does have a listing for.

After pulling up the second file of transmission diagrams for the 1994 Mirage it appears there are two different solid red wires going to the transmission control module - one for the pulse generator (pin 41 of C-17) and one for the damper clutch control solenoid (pin 1 of C-16). Do you know which wire broke and can now be pulled out of the connector?

-Rod
Old 01-01-2018, 04:39 PM   #4
maikeru katinka
AF Newbie

Hey Rod.

Thanks so much for your quick reply and research. I didn't get a chance to look at it yet, so im not sure about the wires. I still have the old transmission, so today ill go pull it apart and get the entire cluster out to have a look....

Is it a crazy idea to perhaps plug in the old solenoids to my car to see if it buzzes them. To identify if its my cars issue?

Kind regards
Mike
Old 01-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
maikeru katinka
AF Newbie

Just an update.
Ive isolated it to the blue wire i think. I believe it is the line pressure solenoid. I know they work with pulsing current, so a brief buzz is normal. Im just not sure if the permanent buzz is supposed to be there or if it is a symptom of a failing solenoid.

I hooked up some other solenoids (outside of the transmission), and the line pressure buzzed. But it then stopped. ..

Im selling the car for cheap. But i dont want to sell a car with a transmission that will die on the new person. Also, i remember the old transmission made a similar sound...

It drives so well currently so im not keen on doing too much fiddling...

Thoughts??
Old 01-02-2018, 08:50 AM   #6
shorod
SHO No Mo

I think your test of plugging in the old solenoid pack outside the transmission was a good one. Since that solenoid pack only buzzes for a short time, it seems the replacement transmission may have a faulty solenoid pack.

Is the solenoid pack something you can replace without removing the transmission? It seems like that would be ideal, but if it's more work than you want to go through, I suppose you could disclose the diagnostics you've performed and offer the seemingly working old solenoid with the purchase of the car and let the buyer figure out if/how they want to install it.

-Rod

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Lancer