Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 07:34 PM   #1
wagsGTI
AF Newbie

Exclamation Cheap Horsepower

Hello,
I have a 96 GTI VR6 with 60000 miles on it. I custom made my intake and I did a frickin good job. But anyway I was just wounderin if anyone had any advice on the cheapest form of horsepower? Im thinkin maybe an exhaust by Pacesetter Monza and some chips but I need some advice b/c Im not that experienced in VW's? Advice would be helpful!!!!
wagsGTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 09:19 PM   #2
FahQ
AF Newbie

Re: Cheap Horsepower

The VR is an awesome platform to begin modding

~A nice catback exhaust would help the breathing now that you have the intake, and should cost roughly $500. If you can - increase the piping about 1/4" and get a hi-flow cat - this will bump the cost about $200
~You should also increase "fire" to go with that extra boost of fresh oxygen
A performance tune-up or even an MSD ignition, can remedy this and also cost roughly $300-$600 depending on what you get.
~Timing is crucial and can be bumped up a bit by adding a mild degree camshaft, adjustable cam sprockets and an underdrive pulley kit. This is a bit more expensive but awesome gains throughout the revs. Guesstimate this at about $1000
~It doesn't increase HP and TQ, but a shortshift kit will get you through the gears faster - which means you get to peak RPM ranges faster.

Chipping it would be good but I personally would "build" the motor before chipping...less chance of having to keep reprogramming it.

BTW - "Cheap" is a dangerous word. But here is a tip. Always base your mods on about a $500 budget. On most mods - anything cheaper probably means shortcuts where taken which could possibly cost you more in the long run. It's best to do things right the first time.

If you want the uber-cheap mods - lighten the weight....remove any unnecessary loads in the trunk - sub boxes, spare tires...hell even carpeting, rear seats, and any sound deadening materials get removed by the ultimate speed freaks. The motto..."what doesn't make it faster - can stay off the car". I've seen people strip the entire interior (including the dashboard) with the exception of the driver's seat. Hell - the AC was removed

"Ambition is the last refuge of failure"
-Oscar Wilde
FahQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #3
wagsGTI
AF Newbie

Hey FahQ, Do you know anything good about the Pacesetter Monza Exhaust? Would it be good for my car. I really hate that ricy sound!!!
Wags
Old 02-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #4
FahQ
AF Newbie

PaceSetter has been around for years.....never heard anythng bad about them.

"Ambition is the last refuge of failure"
-Oscar Wilde
FahQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 07:56 PM   #5
wagsGTI
AF Newbie

Well if I was to install an underdrive pulley, how hard would that be to put on b/c I know the belt is really close to the fender-well, but i didn't know if I could get to the pulley being replaced, by the bottom of the car. Is it something I could do in my garage??? OBX makes an underdrive pulley that gains approx. 5-10 HP. Any info would be appreciated!!!
wags
Old 03-02-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
veedubmechanic
VDUBMAN

get a techtonics exhaust.

chip with giac software

put on a bored out intake manifold (of do it yourself its pretty easy just google vr6 intake manifold mod)

install 264 cams and new chains, tensioners and new clutch
veedubmechanic is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > GTI