Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
roysleight
AF Newbie

Locked out with engine running

I can't find anything about this doing a thread search so maybe someone has an answer. My daughter has a 2002 Outback wagon LL Bean edition and left the car to get something and it was running in park. She doesn't recall whether she hit the door lock switch or not ( I suspect she did). She was locked out with keys in the ignition and engine running. Is this normal for that to be possible? Our other cars won't let that happen.
'83 Toyota 4X4 Pickup ----for hunting and plowing
roysleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:35 AM   #2
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

Re: Locked out with engine running

I don't have an outback but my 03 Dodge Ram can do that. start, open door, hit central locking, slam the door. Truck running locked.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
MikeCStig
AF Regular

*Disclaimer: I may come off as a complete asshole here, but sometimes the truth hurts.*

Anyone who walks away from their car while it's running with the keys in it and leaves the car out of their sight is bit of a moron. I'm surprised there isn't something guarding your daughter from locking the car with the keys still in the ignition, most Japanese cars have systems that stop that from happening, but regardless... if you leave your car, shut it off, and take the keys with you. If she had done that in a major city, the car would not have been where she left it...
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #4
aleekat
AF Enthusiast

If I leave mine running, remote goes with me and doors locked. Of course I don't live in Detroit, Chicago, Atlanta to name a few.
Old 04-17-2015, 12:52 PM   #5
roysleight
AF Newbie

Curious how some people will contribute constructive info pertaining to the topic and some just want to vent their frustrations or tout their opinions. Anyway, thanks for the pertinent reply's. Our Avalon or the Dodge truck will not lock the doors if they're running. The bottom line here is if there is something wrong with the Subaru to allow that to happen. Think the dealer should check it out?
'83 Toyota 4X4 Pickup ----for hunting and plowing
roysleight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2015, 10:23 PM   #6
MikeCStig
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysleight View Post
Curious how some people will contribute constructive info pertaining to the topic and some just want to vent their frustrations or tout their opinions. Anyway, thanks for the pertinent reply's. Our Avalon or the Dodge truck will not lock the doors if they're running. The bottom line here is if there is something wrong with the Subaru to allow that to happen. Think the dealer should check it out?
I gave you constructive info, I said in my first response that most Japanese cars (Subaru is a Japanese company in case you didn't know) have safeguards that stop people from locking their keys in their cars whether the engine is running or not. Maybe there is something wrong with that system.
Here's the thing, when you leave your car parked and unattended outside of your own garage or driveway, you shut the damn thing down and take the keys with you... that's driver's ed 101, and also COMMON SENSE! Don't ask a question if you can't take the answer.
"Ok, systems check; the battery is discharging, the oil temperature is very high, the oil pressure is very low, the engine temperature is off the end of the scale, I'm running out of petrol... but the clock is correct!"
-James May, in an old, worn out Lamborghini purchased for less than £10,000.
MikeCStig is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > General Discussion