Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #1
DeltaTac0
AF Newbie

Question First Car

Hey guys,
So I will be getting my license soon, so I have recently been looking at cars. While looking at smaller trucks, and different cars....I happened to stumble again upon the DeLoreans. These cars have always attracted me ever since I saw them (I know everybody says that, but it's true). I didn't think that anyone, especially my parents, would take me seriously if I said I wanted a car from the 80's....but I was wrong. My mom loves them, my friends think it would be awesome, and I don't know about my dad (I guess he's pretty open). Anyways, I have been trying to locate mechanics in my area trying to scrounge up any information on the cars (I haven't found anyone who is experienced with DeLoreans, of course). I have been doing a ton of research online, and there are only a few things that make me question. First off is the reliability. Being a car from 81'-83', how do these cars hold up if I find one that has been well-maintained? How hard/pricey is it to get the worked on? What about parts (if I get in an accident, or something "blows up")? I just need some info. from people who have experience with the cars, so I can do some persuading . Also, am I stupid for wanting this as a first car? I know that is is my first car, and I'm younger and all.....but I like them too, you know! I am very serious about getting one, and speed isn't the top priority on my list. So, someone.....enlighten me with some details. Then, I need to persuade my family about the 2 seat deal....I can make that work, though (hopefully) Thank you!

Oh yeah, almost forgot! I can't spend like $25,00 on a DeLorean....obviously. I am looking for one that is in great condition (well maintained, garaged, etc...), but not souped up and ready for "racing"...anywhere from the $10-13 grand range looks reasonable at this point in time, b/c it is a first car. I have found two, that I have my eye on. Let me know of any others that you have seen for sale!
DeltaTac0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:34 PM   #2
KManiac
AF Enthusiast

Re: First Car

If you are looking to buy a DeLorean, try to find and buy one with the optional "flux capacitor". I hear that when they reach 88 miles per hour you see some serious s**t. I also hear that a hover conversion will make this car just fly.

1962 Chrysler 300 2-door hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300-K convertible/1964 Chrysler Newport 4-door sedan/1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop with Firepower 390/2x1964 Chrysler 300-K hardtop/1964 Chrysler 300 convertible/1964 Chrysler "Silver 300-K" with factory 4-speed/1964 Chrysler New Yorker Salon/1980 Dodge D-50 Sport/1986 Lincoln Continental/1989 Honda Accord DX/1989 Lincoln Mark VII BB/1991 Dodge Shadow ES convertible
KManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:49 AM   #3
malletslinger
AF Enthusiast

Re: First Car

If you are still interested...you are looking for info in the wrong place...
Try:
dmcnews@yahoogroups.com

I know this is an old thread...
malletslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > DeLorean > DMC-12