Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 09:12 AM   #1
tomclewes
AF Newbie

Loud tapping Sound Coming From Engine area - Anyone Give Suggestions?

Hi
Car: VW Golf 2002 Mk4 1.4 Match model.

I recently brought a car from a dealer in Frome to later find a distinct tapping sound coming from the engine. This tapping sound increases as the revs increase, it basically does not sound healthy. Took it to VW for a quick listen and an independent garage and they both said it needs repairing.

VW suggested "bottom end bearings" and the independent garage suggested "tappets".

Below is a similar clip of the sound I am hearing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIf5eGsHGTo

The car has oil, athough i doubt it was regulary topped up.

I have taken it back to the person i brought it off and said I want it fixed, which he agreed to do with his mechanic. His mechanic has said that it is coming from the bottom end shells as he currently has the engine stripped? He said that they are worn out and the copper layer is showing which is giving the tapping sound. He also told me it wouldn't neccesary cure the problem, it could quieten it, or even make it louder.

Mechanic told me that he plans to replace all the shells, and that there is no wear around where this problem resides.

Would you say this is a temporary fix or will it last a while? Only reason I ask is because I only just bought the car (hoping to sell in October when I can afford a higher engine), and if its a temp fix I will be demanding a full refund from the car dealer I bought it from under the sales of goods act which entitles me to a refund in the first 6 months.

Im a little wary as its the person who sold it to me's personal mechanic so he might of just said "just make up any horse crap"

My main question is are the bottom end shells prone to tapping? and how much are we looking for an official VW part as he said he could source some from "a mate that works with race cars"

Any suggestions or help are kindly appreciated, thank you
Old 03-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #2
MagicRat
Nothing scares me anymore

Re: Loud tapping Sound Coming From Engine area - Anyone Give Suggestions?

Please do not post the same question in multiple locations.

Here is the current thread with a brilliant reply
http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1125679

This thread will be closed.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
engine , golf , tapping , volkswagen
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volkswagen > Golf