Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #1
jarl
AF Newbie

'94 3800TS: power steering and coolant leaks

Hello again,

I have enjoyed my van for a couple of months since I replaced the intake gasket. The oil and coolant leaks were stopped, and life was great. There was still a leak on the power steering system, but nothing too bad to justify messing with the car in a summer day.

Now my TS is leaking coolant again, this time from the driver's side of the radiator, and the power steering leak has worsened to the point I need to do something. The leak seems to be directly (+/-) below the power steering pump, but the pump and tank look fine. The car's engine bay is a royal mess because of the previous oil leaks, but I have not found a *legal* and safe way of washing the engine yet (how/where do you wash your engines, btw??? I don't like the idea of oily residues running down my driveway and straight into the local rivers)

So, to the point:
- Are there known, recurrent issues with these car's radiators? I hate (and can't afford) to start replacing things to see if a problem is solved.
- Ditto for the power steering. My guess is a seal (or several) is worn on the steering rack. Is this a common failure?

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #2
500hpgtx
AF Regular

Re: '94 3800TS: power steering and coolant leaks

I had the steering rack rep-laced on our 95 TS 3800 about 3-4 months ago.
There is about 130k miles on vehicle now. I would think that 15 years is a long time on a steering rack.
Our radiator has had a leak about 3 inches from the top for at least 7 years.
Works fine even when down a few inches. I tried the aluminum powder repair, and probably clogged my rear heater system which required alot of engine flushing last year. ......Still a great vehicle that withstands the sands of time! KEV

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
coolant , leak , radiator , steering
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > Trans Sport