Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 780
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
elnystrom
AF Newbie

740 not starting

Hello there, I am having much trouble starting my 1992 Volvo 740 Wagon. For about a week it was difficult to start and would get progressively worse (taking longer each time). Now it wont start at all. It is getting gas, air filter is clean, getting spark, battery is charged, and fuses are all good. I'm fresh pout of ideas. Help would be gratefully appreciated
elnystrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
Cyberr
AF Newbie

Re: 740 not starting

Just start problem? Not that it started, droved and died then you had to wait some hours or whole night and then it started again?

It’s tricky on newer cars.

Have you checked the diagnostic system? Small little black box next to the hood hinge on the driver side. It will blink some Morse code and inform you about errors in the main system.

It could be a trigger inside the distributor which is tricky to remove since it’s between the engines and body (tight), this can cause bad timing on the sparkplugs. An electric man can test it without removing it; I don’t know how they test it but…

It could be the air mass calculator (probably called something else in English) a electronic box between the hose and the air filter box, unplug the electric cable = engine will drive on a standard setting, but having an failing box plugged in would mess it up.

Do the fuel pumps (two, one under the driver seat, under car) sound anything when you turn the key one step? It can pump fuel but perhaps not give enough pressure with just one working pump. Or time to change the fuel-filter.

Perhaps bad compression inside the engine? Don’t think so but it’s easy to check. Have you checked that the timing-strap is okay? Well this should made the car stop directly not be worse and worse.

Water in the gas tank? I don’t know you current weather condition. Not that they should be so sensitive for that.

Could be a relay, for the injection, gas pumps, or something… Not so many, 2-3, but it isn’t fun job to find out.

Start to run the diagnostic system and see if the car will tell you the problem…
Good luck..

(780 and 740 have slightly different bodies so it’s actually the wrong category we are in now.)
Cyberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 06:30 AM   #3
StNicholas
AF Newbie

Procedure for the code extraction can be found on the Brickboard.

www.brickboard.com

From there, locate the 700/900 FAQ. My 940 was giving me sporadic problems. I cleaned the connections for several sensors and cleaned up the grounds. Even added an additional ground for the intake manifold. So far it has been much better.

Nick
StNicholas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
qtrmile
AF Newbie

try checking your alternator or wiring. Your battery might also need replacement.
qtrmile is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Volvo > 780