Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 08:53 AM   #1
CindyLynn
AF Newbie

Question Quad 4 engine: good or bad?

I have a 1995 Chev Monte Carlo V6 3.1 L with 224,200 miles on it. It has a blown head-gasket. I am thinking about trading it for an 1997 Pontiac Grand am that has a Quad 4 (4-cylinder) engine that has 176,000. My question is which one has the better engine/is the better car? I have heard mixed reviews on the Quad 4......PLEASE ADVISE!!!!
CindyLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #2
Groffeaston
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to Groffeaston Send a message via MSN to Groffeaston Send a message via Yahoo to Groffeaston
Re: Quad 4 engine: good or bad?

Hello everyone!

I am by no means an expert when it comes to car engines. But what I would suggest is this:

1) find out how much it will cost repair your current engine.

2) Find out How much to get a replacement of the exact same type engine you have now in your car.

3) Find out how much for the other car and engine as is and then how much to repair it if it needs to be repaired or replaced.

4) do some internet searches on both engines.

5) also do some internet searches on other options as well, like a different engine than the ones you have mentioned.

Also one warning be careful of the engine you do decide to go with. You may have to get an adapter for your current transmission to fit properly to the engine. Or you may have to get a different transmission to fit the engine you do go with.

Let us know what you decide to do or what you did decide to do if you already done it.
Groffeaston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
waycool9
Technician/ Designer

I'm a mechanic, personally I've never worked on one, but the cylinder head issue is very common and I'm pretty sure all ive heard about that engine are bad things.
waycool9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 07:47 PM   #4
RahX
AF Enthusiast

The Quad4 was pretty decent. The ignition system was weird, and the coil covers were prone to cracking. A couple of the vacuum lines broke ALL the time and made em run like crap (easy and cheap to fix). The water pump SUCKS to change. Other than that, it is pretty peppy and good on gas.
RahX is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts