Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 04:33 PM   #1
JH32552
AF Regular

Unhappy 2014 1500 with vibration

Hey guys....

I recently purchased a 2014 GMC Sierra 1500 Regular cab with 55k miles. I love the truck but after owning it for a bit over a week, I noticed a vibration that had me concerned. The vibration occurs when you let off the gas, then give it gas very slowly. I took it back to the dealer. They replaced the Universal joint, but the vibration is still there. Is anyone else having a problem like this or do you have any idea what could be causing this? I'm afraid it could be a transmission problem. I had a GMC with a crappy tranny years ago and now I'm nervous!

Thanks for any ideas!
JH32552 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JH32552 For This Useful Post:
maxwedge (04-02-2020)
Old 03-29-2020, 11:24 AM   #2
maxwedge
A990 racer

Re: 2014 1500 with vibration

Hey, we are neighbors, Lake George area. What speed, feel it in the floor, seat, steering?
Old 03-31-2020, 07:38 AM   #3
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedge View Post
Hey, we are neighbors, Lake George area. What speed, feel it in the floor, seat, steering?
Howdy Neighbor! :-)
It seems to happen at slower speeds. I feel it in the floor and the seat. It usually happens when driving at a steady speed, then letting off the gas completely, then accelerating slowly with a very light touch. I felt it when I test drove the truck, but thought it was the road. (you know how our NY roads are this time of year, right?) LOL!!! I would say it felt like a washboard. As you add more gas, it goes away. Drive train issue? Torque converter?
Ggggrrrrr!!!!!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:41 AM   #4
maxwedge
A990 racer

Ok, sounds like a driveline issue. I think you need to have a second look at the drive shaft, make sure it runs true and of course the u joints. The joints can bind up, and most of the time we look for looseness and forget they can lock up and cause problems. Check Trans mount also.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:25 PM   #5
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
Ok, sounds like a driveline issue. I think you need to have a second look at the drive shaft, make sure it runs true and of course the u joints. The joints can bind up, and most of the time we look for looseness and forget they can lock up and cause problems. Check Trans mount also.
The service manager said they replaced a U-joint, but the vibration is still there. he also said they were going to use a Pico scope on it to see if anything showed up. They have had the truck over three weeks now, and I am getting a little perturbed at the length of time it's been at the dealership. I do understand they are working at 50% staff because of the pandemic, but damn... figure it out and fix the darn thing!

I purchased the truck out of Queensbury GMC via of my dealership up here. So, the truck is from your area. It's EXACTLY what I wanted, but I didn't want the problems! UGH!

Thanks!
Old 04-02-2020, 07:41 PM   #6
maxwedge
A990 racer

They oughta go out in the lot and switch shafts with another truck to eliminate that area.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:38 PM   #7
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
They oughta go out in the lot and switch shafts with another truck to eliminate that area.
I just got home with the truck. This is what is written on the paperwork:

"Customer states vibration in wheels Technician test drove with customer, duplicated vibration around 40 MPH under slight acceleration, inspected on lift, all okay, found rear universal joint a little binding but still operational, replaced U-joint to, issue not resolved, made appt at Chevrolet GM garage to further diagnose. Chevrolet technician test drove while monitoring system, found engine, transmission/torque converter operating as designed, found when truck activates active fuel management and switched from 6 to 4 cylinders, vehicle shakes under slight acceleration, technician found vibration caused by over sized tire causes drag when vehicle shuts down to 4 cylinders. Over sized tires enhance vibration. Tire size 275/60-20, vehicle came stock with 255/70-17. No further repairs or diagnostics needed at this time."

Driving the truck home it's now vibrating worse then when I took it out to the dealer!!!!!!!!!

I'm soooooo angry!!!!!!
Old 04-03-2020, 05:48 PM   #8
777stickman
AF Enthusiast

I might be inclined to agree with them. Stock vs aftermarket is around a 2" difference on tire diameter with the aftermarket being higher. This alters your oem gear ratio to a higher gear and more stress on the motor and power train.

I would try this: Run the truck at hiway speeds in one lower gear or maybe two. See what happens. This would tell you if it's a driveline or engine issue.

I Think there are also devises that can disable the 6 down to 4 thing out there?

Let us know.
1999 K2500 Old Body Style Suburban (Gone but not forgotten)
05 Dodge Ram 3500/5.9 Cummins
2012 Toyota FJ Cruiser
777stickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 06:22 AM   #9
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777stickman View Post
I might be inclined to agree with them. Stock vs aftermarket is around a 2" difference on tire diameter with the aftermarket being higher. This alters your oem gear ratio to a higher gear and more stress on the motor and power train.

I would try this: Run the truck at hiway speeds in one lower gear or maybe two. See what happens. This would tell you if it's a driveline or engine issue.

I Think there are also devises that can disable the 6 down to 4 thing out there?

Let us know.
I agree the larger tires would stress the motor and power train more than the stock rims and tires. However, the truck drove quite well before the dealership worked on it, except for the occasional vibration when decelerating then accelerating lightly. Now the truck's drive-ability has definitely declined a lot since the installation of the u-joint. The dealer is about 35 miles from my home, and the truck vibrated off and on all the way home! I should have lived with the occasional vibration, but was wary that it was indicative of something worse to happen at a later date. I have a guy that will sell me his wheels and tires with pressure monitor sensors off a 2020 Silverado 1500 for $1200. They are 265/65R18's with only 300 miles. I'm considering buying these to see how much it helps, if any. (It would probably need new tires before winter anyway) I've owned this truck for a total of 44 days, and the dealer has had it for 24 of those days. To say the least, I am frustrated.

Thoughts??????
Old 04-04-2020, 07:16 AM   #10
maxwedge
A990 racer

By deactivating the cylinder deactivation function you would further pin down the issue. It is possible the larger heavier tires and wheels are affecting the transition from 8 to 4.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
CapriRacer
AF Enthusiast

It sounds like that last visit to the dealer, the tech didn't actually do anything. Just a bunch of diagnostics. In spite of that, the vibration is worse?

I'm inclined to think that that this is a driveline issue. Does this vehicle have a center support for the driveshaft? If so, that was a problem in earlier model years.

Also, the pinion angle - the angle the driveshaft makes with the rear axle, may be off.

And lastly, it sounds like the dealership has written you off. Do not go back there. Find someone else who is willing to work on your truck. This may cost you money, but that is your only alternative.
CapriRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 08:46 AM   #12
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
It sounds like that last visit to the dealer, the tech didn't actually do anything. Just a bunch of diagnostics. In spite of that, the vibration is worse?

I'm inclined to think that that this is a driveline issue. Does this vehicle have a center support for the driveshaft? If so, that was a problem in earlier model years.

Also, the pinion angle - the angle the driveshaft makes with the rear axle, may be off.

And lastly, it sounds like the dealership has written you off. Do not go back there. Find someone else who is willing to work on your truck. This may cost you money, but that is your only alternative.
Thanks for your reply :-) They replaced a universal joint during this visit. That being said, they messed with the drive shaft to replace it and now it's even worse! Instead of an occasional vibration it's an often vibration. The vehicle is supposed to be covered under warranty. 30 days or 1000 miles. I've had the truck a total of 44 days and 24 of them were spent at the dealership. It has 500 miles and 140 of them were used out and back to the dealer. I don't know what to do now. I do believe, under law, I can ask for my money back. But, this truck is exactly what I needed as far as length. Regular cab and a 6 1/2 ft bed. It fits in my garage nicely, and has low mileage.
Old 04-04-2020, 08:49 AM   #13
Stealthee
Your worst nightmare

If its vibrating worse now then you might want to check driveshaft alignment. You could unbolt the shaft spin it 90 degrees bolt it back up and go for a ride.

Also the vibration could simply be the wheels/tires. Find someone that will let you borrow theres for a day and swap them out.
Old 04-04-2020, 12:26 PM   #14
maxwedge
A990 racer

You are nearing the point of filing for a NYS lemon repurchase. Let me know if you need the details .
Old 04-04-2020, 01:27 PM   #15
JH32552
AF Regular

Quote:
You are nearing the point of filing for a NYS lemon repurchase. Let me know if you need the details .
Thanks maxwedge! I so hate to give up on this truck, but I seem to be getting no where with the dealership. Today, I slid under the truck (please note, I am a woman over 50! LOL) and checked the driveshaft for damage and to note which u-joint they replaced. This little truck is in super nice shape, and I really want to keep it, but I'm truly concerned about this vibration thing. I think, because the tires aren't the greatest, I may buy the 18's off a 2020 from a guy mounted with only 300 miles on them to see if it helps. Doing the math, it should lower the truck about 1.5 inches, which is only a wee bit higher than the 17 OEM. Let me ask you this..... the driveshaft seems to aluminum (?) and has some scuff marks in it as if something got wrapped around it while it was turning. Would this happen with the u-joint replacement????

Just looking for answers and a solution... thanks!

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > GMC > Sierra