Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #1
seventieschild
AF Newbie

2002 Chevy Astro Wiring Issues-Please Help

I'm unemployed and trying to start over so I bought a used Astro and 3 days later I'm having wiring issues. I have posted before in this section and I thank you all for your replies.
My battery keeps draining so I used a 12 volt test light in series with the negative on the battery and the ground (disconnected) The hot is still on the battery. I get a draw through a 10 amp fuse under the driver's side that is marked " radio batt". It has a hot direct from the battery to the radio and instument cluster. I checked ALL the fuses including under the hood and there is no amp draw except through the "radio batt " fuse.

When I pull the fuse the test light goes out however I lose power to my PRNDL light, gas gauge and speedometer. Also the flasher relay buzzes like a chainsaw when I removed the fuse. I replaced the flasher relay with no luck. What could it be that is creating a draw here? There seems to be nothing on or working yet when I place the probe on the ground cable and the clip on the negative terminal I get a light until I pull the radio batt fuse. Thanks...
seventieschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
gmtech1
AF Enthusiast

Re: 2002 Chevy Astro Wiring Issues-Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by seventieschild View Post
I'm unemployed and trying to start over so I bought a used Astro and 3 days later I'm having wiring issues. I have posted before in this section and I thank you all for your replies.
My battery keeps draining so I used a 12 volt test light in series with the negative on the battery and the ground (disconnected) The hot is still on the battery. I get a draw through a 10 amp fuse under the driver's side that is marked " radio batt". It has a hot direct from the battery to the radio and instument cluster. I checked ALL the fuses including under the hood and there is no amp draw except through the "radio batt " fuse.

When I pull the fuse the test light goes out however I lose power to my PRNDL light, gas gauge and speedometer. Also the flasher relay buzzes like a chainsaw when I removed the fuse. I replaced the flasher relay with no luck. What could it be that is creating a draw here? There seems to be nothing on or working yet when I place the probe on the ground cable and the clip on the negative terminal I get a light until I pull the radio batt fuse. Thanks...
The Radio/Batt fuse supplies power to the IPC and the Radio. Not sure of the connection with the flasher. You could unplug the cluster and radio one at a time and see when the light turns off. Is the test lamp bright or dim? I imagine a small amount of current draw from the radio is probably normal, I'm talking milliamps. My best guess is something in the radio is causing the draw.
gmtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:26 PM   #3
seventieschild
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmtech1 View Post
The Radio/Batt fuse supplies power to the IPC and the Radio. Not sure of the connection with the flasher. You could unplug the cluster and radio one at a time and see when the light turns off. Is the test lamp bright or dim? I imagine a small amount of current draw from the radio is probably normal, I'm talking milliamps. My best guess is something in the radio is causing the draw.
I did disconnect the radio and still a draw. I have not tried the ipc yet. Funny, there is nothing on in the panel. What could be causing a draw?
seventieschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Truck
AF Regular

The Anti-Theft is run through the radio. Check your owner's manual. There will be instructions how to turn it on/off. (Mine does the same thing.)
Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
94&92Astro
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truck View Post
The Anti-Theft is run through the radio. Check your owner's manual. There will be instructions how to turn it on/off. (Mine does the same thing.)
I have an 02 and had these (and every other kind) of issue. This is what my problem was which may not apply but thought I would pass it on. The main connection (red wire) on my starter kinda melted loose and created havoc in my electrical system. Like you, I was checking this and that--tracing wires and found this strictly by accident because the van would still start. After changing my alternator with a new one and throwing my jackstands 30 feet down the driveway, I noticed this connection wiggled which wasn't supposed to... Long story short, changed the starter and everything went back to normal--All test lights, fuses, testers back into the tool box to await my next issue.
94&92Astro is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies