Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 05:15 PM   #16
SteveZ
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Rear Sparkplugs 3.3 Liter V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelien
Thanks so much!!!!!
You're welcome. Sorry I did not have time to track down the pics, I travel a fair amount in my business and dont have access to them at the moment. I'll post a link when I do; I took shots of the plugs from start to finish, especially the PITA with the Alternator Bracket.

Steve
SteveZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2005, 05:52 PM   #17
jerryk955
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Rear Sparkplugs 3.3 Liter V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by porcelien
Thanks so much!!!!!
wow strange I should see this post as I just finished the front 3 plugs and was scratching my head about the back 3. seems to me the only thing to do is call garage for an appointment, but then again it does run better with front 3 replaced. hmmm wonder if the back have EVER been done..lol
jerryk955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 05:45 PM   #18
bjaymo3
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to bjaymo3
Re: Rear Sparkplugs 3.3 Liter V6

[quote=Norm Petersen]Probably too late on this subject, but have you tried buying one of those

3/8" inch or 1/2" inch Flexible extensions about 8-12" inches

long or longer. They are Awesome for hard to get at places, like them

spark-plugs !!! :flash:

Don't know if you're still around but you hit the magic combo. The flexible extention worked like a pro on the back middle one (#6 I think).
bjaymo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 PM   #19
SteveZ
AF Newbie

Re: Rear Sparkplugs 3.3 Liter V6

[quote=bjaymo3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Petersen
Probably too late on this subject, but have you tried buying one of those

3/8" inch or 1/2" inch Flexible extensions about 8-12" inches

long or longer. They are Awesome for hard to get at places, like them

spark-plugs !!! :flash:

Don't know if you're still around but you hit the magic combo. The flexible extention worked like a pro on the back middle one (#6 I think).
The entire shaft is flexible? I was just putting a new 2.5" SS Header in my '91 SE-R and could have used one of those. I have a lot of flex joints and such, but a long continuous flexible shaft would be better for many bolts.

Who makes them? Mechanical or air powered?

Thanks!

Hmm...2005, those platinum plugs should still be good in the Caravan...Phew.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:27 PM   #20
SteveZ
AF Newbie

Smile Re: Rear Sparkplugs 3.3 Liter V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveZ
No I just missed this the first time.

Yes on Airbox (air filter box) but not air intake (did not remove the plenum or cast intake). Not needed. Nor did I remove any body work or anything around the wipers. On the 1999 the removal of the air intake to me is just overkill and you would then have a lot more to be careful with, working with a cast Al piece that certainly could crack easily from overtightening, or require careful attention to even torque across all its bolts, etc. Another PITA I did not need!

No I did not remove the exhaust, I was mostly coming in from above and if I recall the exhaust was not an issue coming in from below, it was something else in the way...coming up from below was not happening.

#1 is the dog, just push the alternator out of the way and unbolt its bracket. I did use multiple flexible extensions (short flex + med extension + short flex on the socket). Much of the problem here would have been much easier had the plugs not been so stubborn to get out due to corrosion and heat. No one used any anti-seize on the set put in OEM.

I took photos of intermediate steps just in case I ever had to do this again, not sure where they are at the moment (digital).

Steve
Guess I was pretty busy. Summary -
- vacuum out the dirt and sand if any around the boots/plugs or it will fall into the cylinder (DOH!)
- front 3 are a piece of cake (duh), back 3 are hard and #1 is the hardest
- Don't take apart the sill area, don't remove the exhaust, work mostly from above
- do remove the airbox
- in 2 year hindsight this would have been much easier if I sprayed a little PB Blaster at the base of the plugs, part of my problem was access, part was corrosion - I swear by PB Blaster as the best penetrating oil/lube on the market - I just used it on header manifold bolts rusted in place, let it sit a day, did it again, 3rd day the bolts were a piece of cake.
- take the tension off the S-belt and push the alternator back, unbolt it from its bracket - that gives you more access to the backside of the motor from the left side when facing the engine
- A more flexible extension as described above would be helpful
- Use anti-sieze when putting plugs back in, much easier the next time.

'04 G Coupe 6MT, Brembos, JWT FW/Clutch, K&N, F&R Sways '03 350Z Superblack Base (sold), '91 B13 SE-R former Sport Compact Car Project Car, '95 Nissan U13 Stillen 4:1 header, JWT PopChgr, STB, KYB's Eibachs, Sways, VRS 2.5" SS, '03 RAM HEMI QUAD CAB, My Homepage Photo Albums