Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons
Car Comparisons Compare any cars and find out what every body else thinks. Just refrain from making stupid comparos like Viper vs. Geo Metro :)
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2002, 09:38 PM   #1
ZV3
AF Newbie

Uh, why do you guys even bother racing F-Bodies/Mustangs? I mean...

honestly, who cares what a guy in a cheap dime-a-dozen Mustang or Crapmaro thinks about you if he *might* win a 0-60 race? I used to own a 300ZX and now have an M3, and those Camaro guys constantly want to race and I just nod and go about my business. If I had one of the nice, new 350 Z's I would not waste my time on those type of cars.
By the way a guy here at work just bought one, and it's very nice, much better looking in person but has a smallish interior. Anyway, if I was a Trans Am/Mustang owner I would not come to this forum and brag about beating a new Z by a tenth of a second or so. A V-8 against a six cylinder, and all you can manage to do is *barely* beat it? Shameful.
Imagine if the Japanese decide to make a performance V-8? 8 against 8 I would put my money on the Japanese to win by a large margin. American cars are simply unreliable crap. Hell, the new BMW M3 has only 10 horsepower less than the Vette. The M5? More horsepower than the regular Vette. Anyway, I would not waste my time racing those
American F-Bodies/Mustangs because what kind of bragging right is that?
"Hey Joe, I beat a Trans Am today!" I REALLY dislike those cars, no refinement at all. A 0-60 race is only less than 1% of the time we spend in our cars, the rest is DRIVING so for me to put up with American bad reliability, rattles and shakes, all that exhaust racket, bad interiors and plastics, and the dime-a-dozen depreciation and satisfaction of owning a cheap vehicle that everybody and my Grandma owns, well it's not worth it just to say "I beat that Z car by a tenth of a second, but I can't corner worth a damn!" Those American Iron boys need to get a clue, it's not about 0-60. Hell, I bought my M3 so I could cut through mountain passes
with the precision of a surgeon, not for 0-60 races which are hard on vehicles. They can keep that. Heck, if your a good driver you can make up for that couple tenths of a second against those guys anyway!!!
ZV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2002, 03:27 AM   #2
stacEbabe
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stacEbabe
You go man!!! He.He. I completely agree with you. My boyfriend has a '94 camaro and is thinking that he could beat a Z. I dunno, I think that the Z would do well in races, that kinda thing is fun for me. But you're right about the majority of American made cars, not all, but most are P.O.S. You have to drive a car for more than just racing. :smoka:
stacEbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 12:41 PM   #3
warpedmindZ
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to warpedmindZ
i own a 350 Z and i can tell you that this car will out perform almost any of the american v8s on the road. not only does it handle much better and get much better gas miles. it has a much sexier look than those damn mustangs that people by because they thing that they are getting a high performance car. if they were to drive a Z for one day they would most definatly change there mind about the hole american made only thing.
warpedmindZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2002, 01:50 PM   #4
stacEbabe
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to stacEbabe
Hey Warped,
I'm still trying to decide whether to buy a Z or not. I've been hearing mixed opionions. Do you have any problems with the Z? Like maybe stereo or blind spots? Those are the most common complaints that I hear. :silly2:
stacEbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2002, 01:04 AM   #5
sportsfan
AF Newbie

Uh ZV3
Its not about 0 to 60 its about the 1/4 mile. its the rumble of a V8,not a 6 cylinder. Its the feel of pound feet of torque planting your butt in the seat. The loud exhaust ringing in your ears. If you don't get it you just don't get it. I drove a friend of mines brand new 350Z and i will tell you thats a mighty fine piece of machine they made. The body work,the wheels, the handling,the inside was awesome,all in all great car. I on the other hand drive a 2002 Trans Am WS6 LS1. Traded my 99 Camaro SS in on it. Mine 32k his 37k I love my car plastic and all. His didn't plant my butt in the seat, mine does. thats what i wanted thats what i got. i dont go lookin to race 350z's i want some competition like say a 03 Cobra,or a C5 Of course i had to add a little extra goodies like 3:73's a yank 3500 TC, SLP lid, loudmouth exhaust, etc etc etc but i knew that goin in. Its what you want from the ride. if you enjoy the Z thats great but no reason to put down f-bodies.:sun: Go ahead and dis the stangs though i'm all for that.
sportsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2002, 11:43 PM   #6
Spazpilot
AF Newbie

don't dis what you don't know

my 350z at the track ennis tx. 14.6 at98.7 a new ws6 13.5 at 105 new mustang cobra 2003 12.9 at 111. saw these times my self all stock and pretty close to road and track times and all about the same price. its all what you like.
Spazpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2002, 01:45 AM   #7
Sick TypeS
AF Newbie

i'll race anyone in any thing...i don't care...it's all for fun, when i'm lined up at the track with a vett or grand national or something, i know i'm gonna get burnt, but who gives a fuq really???

...comparing mustangs to almost any import is like comparing apples and oranges, they were designed for different purposes (in a racing point of view)...

p.s. why are you so pissed off at mustang/domestic car owners anyway? did something happen in your past that you would like to share with us?
Sick TypeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2002, 06:28 PM   #8
TOO Z MAXX
AF Newbie

Thats right, dont bother racing an fbody because you know you will get your butt handed to you. In a sraight line that is.
Dont jump all over me , I am considedring buying a new Z and either keeping my SS or selling it. I really like the new Z's and since I have really got into auto x lately I think the Z might be a better car for that. I am really looking forward to seeing one at the auto x and see how they compare to my SS.

ZV3 you kind of sound like a sore looser.
Old 12-07-2002, 07:43 PM   #9
Lord Rahl
AF Newbie

Once there's an aftermarket I/E/H for the 350Z those f bodies are'nt even gonna hang in 0-60 let alone in handling.
Lord Rahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 12:55 AM   #10
New2Zcars
AF Newbie

Muscle cars and sports cars are apples and oranges. F bodies are great. American V8's have very flat torque curves which make them great for hauling boats, work trucks, even rockcrawling, etc. The new LS6 from chevy is a world class engine. There's a reason the vette is always mentioned in the same sentence as the high dollar sportscars. 1/3 the price of a Ferrari and can still hang... I have an old chevy 400 easily cranking out 425+h.p. with minimal $$ invested compared to what it takes to get power out of a smaller engine...especially high dollar import upgrades. I can pull my own engine, rebuild it completely, drop it back in, and have it fired up in a lazy weekend...or one day if I were pressed. There are advantages to antiquated american technology. Granted the LS1 engines aren't anywhere near the same as my old small block.

I'm planning to get a Z soon because for the money I think it is the best sports car available. If I get smoked by a F body oh well...I could hypothetically just go home, fire up the old chevy, and hope to run into him again. But I certainly will not belittle his choice of car because I lost a sophomoric freeway race to him. I know a guy who beat a Ferrari in an S2000! So you never know, the Z car might just spank the F body under the right circumstances and with the proper driver. But I will defend the latest generation of F bods as being very competent MUSCLE cars.

What's better.... a jet ski or a ski boat? Depends what you consider fun for the money. What's better...a sports car or a muscle car? I assume since this is a Z car forum everyone here prefers sportscars...but why trash musclecars? America makes the greatest straight line rolling missles on the planet. And I'm proud of all our long straight desert highways that let american musclecars shine in all their linear glory.
New2Zcars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:18 AM   #11
Jay!
Horizontally Opposed

Send a message via AIM to Jay! Send a message via Yahoo to Jay!
Moved to Car Comparisons; title tweaked slightly...
Jay! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay! For This Useful Post:
markothemechanics (06-18-2016)
Old 12-08-2002, 10:58 AM   #12
toothlessracer
AF Newbie

In regards to blind spots, it depends what kind of cars you've driven in the past. I've had Camaro and Ecli;se and the Z's visibility is about the same. But if you've never driven these types of cars it will be hard at first to bet used to it. Expecially backing up and lanes changes. So far I have 1100 miles on mine and I've raced a 300 ZX and two Mustangs on my brother-in law's and my boss. Beat all three. Not bad, I figure the car will get quicker once I have more miles on it. For those guys who like stop light races. Turn off TCS and lauch @ 1800 - 2000 RPM you'llget a little wheel sping on first and also when you first get into second. But you'll get those 0-60 in about 5.4 or 5.5 I mesaured by latter G got a .96 which is great on Pirelly P-Zero.
toothlessracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 01:56 PM   #13
ox03
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to ox03 Send a message via Yahoo to ox03
Careful ZV3...
ox03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:09 PM   #14
WakkaWu
Banned

Send a message via AIM to WakkaWu
You people are crazy.A Z WILL not beat a 2002 Camaro or Mustang or Vette.All of those would BURN the Z.I see you guys are more import freaks that are under the impression that they are the best.NEWS FLASH!!!:Your wrong!!!!!!!Dont get me wrong,imports are great beutiful cars and I love them but they arent the fastest cars on the road.
WakkaWu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2002, 04:14 PM   #15
Moppie
Master Connector

Send a message via ICQ to Moppie Send a message via AIM to Moppie Send a message via Yahoo to Moppie
Since when was the Z an import?
It has more American than Japanese infulence in its design and enginering .

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Comparisons