Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 01:21 PM   #16
TheDevilIKnow
AF Newbie

Re: 97 Dodge Caravan, starts, runs for 2 seconds, then dies

Hi All
In the interest of keeping this thread helpful these problems have been arising for years with Voyagers and Caravans.The Instrument Cluster connector develops fractures at the circuit board causing all sorts of grief with intermittent starts and guage components not working, ETC.This requires the dash to be disassembled to get at the instrument cluster and resolder the connector pins. Please see "98T&C"'s excellent slide show on how to do this repair. Go to: www.flickr.com/photos/landar/show/with/3474557830

For bucking and jumping also check your Fuel pump.
Make sure your charging system is good with Alternator and battery in good condition.
TheDevilIKnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #17
autotech234
AF Newbie

autotech234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:17 PM   #18
akaJJ
AF Newbie

Just wanted to say thanks for saving me all kinds of time and money. I followed the link provided by THEDEVILIKNOW and the slid show was fanastic! I'm no mechanic but with the step by step photo's it was a snap to get to the circuit board. What I found was the exact same problem solder joint on the bottom right pin as shown on LEAIRD's post. It's been about a week since the repair and so far so good!

Thanks for the effort folks!
akaJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 02:49 AM   #19
soyelmismotony
AF Newbie

Smile Re: 97 Dodge Caravan, starts, runs for 2 seconds, then dies

The p1698 code means either that there is no digital data communication from the the transmission controller OR from the body controller that is being received at the powertrain control module. Could be nothing more than a loose wire or can be a bad sensor. the bang on the cluster could cause this. disconeted battery erease code. also some dodge pop this code when time to change transmision oil or transmission oil is low. connectors next to battery can be broken or loose. lose wire loose conection. good luck.
soyelmismotony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:10 PM   #20
MelissainFLA
AF Newbie

Had this same problem, replaced the MAP sensor, did not fix the problem. Thought it might be the PCM replaced that, the vehicle ran for about ten minutes then stalled. Would start and run for ten seconds then die. After checking the wires closely, noticed that the wires for the main harness for the injectors (located behind the coil pack) were totally bear due to oil dripping on them and burning off the protective coating. Put new wrap, heated them to shrink and the problem was solved.
MelissainFLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:25 PM   #21
autotech234
AF Newbie

Glad we could all help
autotech234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:49 AM   #22
drucemeister
AF Newbie

On the 11/07/11 i attended NAG (Nepean Auto Group) for an intermittent fault with my 1999 Chrysler Voyager’s warning lights and ignition system.
This fault caused the car to start and cut out moments later, or the instrument cluster would fail while driving and not start the next time. The remedy that i had been using prior to taking to NAG was to disconnect the battery for 1+ hours and the problem seemed to go away for varied periods of time. This remedy i discovered after charging the battery when the fault first appeared any eliminating the fact that the battery was already fully charged.
After having the car for 4 days NAG contacted me and i was told the car was ready to be picked up but further work was needed as they had not fixed the problem and were in fact not sure what the EXACT problem was. i attended, paid and attempted to start my vehicle. This was to no avail, the car would not start. A technician came out to the vehicle and tested it again with some sort of computer and said that there was nothing he could do and that i needed to order the parts suggested on my receipt. (See attachments)
I disconnected the battery and an hour or so later reconnected it, started the car and drove home.
Not wanting to spend $287 plus labour and probably $2213 plus labour as recommended in the receipt from NAG, on a car that now has a market value of approx. $5000 I persevered with disconnecting the battery.
The fault increased in frequency to the point that it was happening every day until on the 30/09/2011 the car failed to start at all and was towed home by NRMA. When the patrolman attended he informed me that that the fault was the immobilizer and i should see an auto electrical company to look at it. I told him the story from NAG and he said that VERY RARELY do computers and skims need replacing and that by his testing it was most likely the immobilizer.
By chance that night while looking for a local auto electrician on the internet I found the following information. (Links to these pages and information listed and the end of this information)
My summation of this information is that there is a COMMON fault in the Chrysler 1997 – 2002 model Voyager WORLDWIDE as listed in all the links and blogs I attended. This common fault is the same as my vehicle was displaying.
I note that a number of these stories included people spending 1000’s of dollars/pounds replacing the exact parts recommended to me to be replaced by NAG.
Using the steps and procedures listed in these web pages I fixed my own car in an hour and a half by locating a loose terminal as described, located behind my instrument cluster. The problem is now GONE.
A number of other further websites and blogs spoke of other wiring issues, all including earthing issues behind the instrument cluster or in different locations behind the dash, BUT ALL OF THESE WIRING FAULTS HAD THE SAME OUT COME. Car starts and then cuts out with warning light on dash.

I approached NAG in good faith, believing that they are the foremost authority on the operation and service of my 1999 Chrysler Voyager and asked them to diagnose the fault in my vehicle. They failed to do so correctly and in turn I was charged $143 to be told I needed to spend another $287 plus labour and if that did not fix the problem another $2213 plus labour.
Clearly in hindsight this would not have fixed my problem.
I contacted the service manager at NAG and explained my situation. I requested that my $143 be refunded due to the reasons listed above and in turn offered him the details of the web pages and blogs that let me fix my vehicle so that that he and Chrysler may better service their customers in the future with this particular fault.
He refused a refund but was more than happy to take the information.

LINKS
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/po...ex.htm?t=56470
http://en.allexperts.com/q/Chrysler-...mmobiliser.htm
http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/g...problems-4653/
http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/c...rn-over-12222/
http://www.chryslerforum.com/forum/c...-issues-12052/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/landar/...ith/3474557830
drucemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:26 PM   #23
RIP
AF -Advisor

A common fix for an all too common problem. The solder joint issue should be considered anytime instruments go erratic or die and/or engine stalling is the issue. Thanks for describing your situation.

07 Fusion / 06 RAV4 / 06 Accord / 96 Gr Caravan
RIP is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager