Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-29-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

I have had 4 Caravans, and I still have 3 of them, one hit a deer and was just beyond repair . . .
I hear a lot of complaints about the tranny's, I have had 1 go out out of 4, had to be rebuilt, failed again 3 weeks later, had to be rebuilt again. That was in the 88 Caravan. I have 2 89 Caravans, never had a lick of trouble with the tranny's in those. I have a 1994 Caravan, starting to have some minor problems with it's tranny, but like most of the problems you see with these, I believe it to be electrical or electronic, not mechanical. I have had to replace CV joints on all the vans, I think they probably go out more often than they do on most cars. I also have to replace brakes very often, maybe every 8 months or so on all of them. Other than that, though, they are great vans, I obviously like them since I've bought 4 of them. I've had to do regular infrequent repairs like you have to with any car, a water pump here, an alternator there, that sort of thing, but the brakes and CV joints are the only things that stand out as unusually prone to breaking on these in my experience. I think the tranny's are too, but I think they are more a luck of the draw thing, some of them last forever, and some of them just go. All of mine are over 200K miles, and 2 are perfect, 1 has minor problems, and 1 had to be rebuilt twice, once at 160K miles, and again (free the second time) at 160,800 miles . . .

Hope this helps.
HiRez_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 AM   #17
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

Oh, yeah, I forgot the paint, I have had paint peeling and fading issues with all 4 of my vans. I hear that Chrysler finally has the paint problems licked, but they sure sucked at paint for at least 10 years or so . . .
Old 01-03-2005, 12:41 PM   #18
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HeadlessHorseman
Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Bought my Grand Caravan LE brand new in '96 for $29K+ (such a deal)... Since then...

3 replacement transmissions/torque converters @ $2200 on average, each, the last of which included a sheered CV Joint - kind of surprising because my Caravan came equipped with the "Heavy Duty Towing Package" which included extra/big oil/trans coolers, trailer wiring harness, heavy-duty suspension, shocks, whatever, etc.

"Heavy Duty" - my butt.

1 drivers side power seat @ $999 - give a break. My dealer said I should get it replaced because it was a "safety issue." I said if it's a safety issue, Dodge should fix it for free. Dodge did NOT fix it for free and this is just one of countless reasons why I will not buy another Caravan. I am convinced that Dodge couldn't care less about "my safety" and unless they are forced to issue a recall notice or cover a fix under warranty, Dodge won't pay to fix ANY issue, safety-related or not.

Well, @#$%&! you too, Dodge.

"Fixed" Door lock system 3 times (under warranty)

CD player stopped working after 3 years (never bothered to fix it.

Airbag clockspring replaced under recall warranty (airbag light went on and stayed on) - safety hazard

Fuel rails replaced under recall warranty - fire hazard

Fuel tank/door/nozzle/something replaced under recall warranty - explosion/fire hazard

Rear washer fluid tank decided one day to empty itself (I couldn't turn it off) - disconnected and never fixed

Replaced Heater Blower Motor every 65,000 miles or so (I'm on my third)

Parking Brake - replaced FOUR times (teeth keep breaking off the catch wheel)

Paint is peeling off the body and roof rack BIG time - screw it, it's a Viking Burial for this pig after it's dead.

Just for the heck of it, on just one of many occasions my Caravan was at the dealer for repair, I asked that they replace the burned-out license plate bulb in the rear...

So, here's a Dodge joke for you...

QUESTION:How many Dodge mechanics does it take to "screw in a light bulb?"

ANSWER: I don't know, but I DO know it costs $6 for the bulb and $8 to screw it in...

C'mon now, that *IS*

I could've done it myself, but I just HAD to know the answer to the joke. Now YOU know... what a rip off.

And then there are the "little" annoyances like the van will power down in the middle of traffic - engine off, no power brakes or steering every 3 months or so (you get the picture) and windshield wipers (front AND rear) flapping back and forth for no reason (I AM able to turn them off by putting their switches into the ON position - go figure).

BTW, We bought the 7yr/100,000mile "Bumper-to-Bumper" plan for $2,600 when we bought our loaded '96 GC for $29,000. Three years later at 111,000, the tranny/torque converter blew. A word to the wise: Dodge wouldn't sell YOU something if it weren't profitable THEM. The "Bumper-to-Bumper" thing is a load marketing B/S. There were plenty of things that broke inside the cabin, all plastic, like the CD storage unit door, that was NOT covered by the plan. It cost us $40.

These are just a few ditties that I can recall off the top of my head... the point is I've paid between $9,000 and $10,000 for repairs - and if you add my cost of the 7yr/100,000mile Bumper-to-Bumper Plan to my overall costs, it's between $12,000 and $13,000 ON TOP OF the price I paid for my Caravan in the first place.

My $29,000 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan actually cost me around $42,000.

This is why I am an unhappy camper and why it is VERY unlikely I will buy another Caravan. Ever.
To sum up my experience...

Last edited by HeadlessHorseman; 01-07-2005 at 08:03 AM.
HeadlessHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 02:37 AM   #19
jagplates
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiDnIgHt RuMbLeR
I am looking at purchasing a 1996 dodge caravan or voyager and was just curious as to what common problems these vans have. What should i watch out for when buying a 96 and at how many kilometer's do things tend to break down?
I have friends with Ford Windstar & GM vans, and they have the same complaints as Chrysler van owners. They all blow head gaskets and eat transmissions.

My recommendation: if you are going to buy a 96 - 00 Chrysler van, get the 4 cylinder (unless you travel in hilly country alot.) The 4 cylinder has 150 HP, same as the 3.0L six, but without all the aggravation of the 6 cyl. The 3 speed transmission supposedly holds up better than the 4 speed. My 1997 4 cyl actually has a lot of power, but it doesn't like hills. It can get up them, but it is constantly shifting and trying to find the right mix of engine speed and gear selection.

I bought mine 6 months ago with 146,000 miles. I spent about $500 doing preventive maintenance and getting it the way I wanted it. I don't drive it much (only about 3,500 miles so far), but I really like it. No problems.
jagplates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 03:40 PM   #20
derewho
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to derewho

hello, just thought I would add my 2 cents worth, we just bought a 96 voyager in june of 03 when our 89 areostar decided to quit for no reason, we have to replace the coil pack and now I am having trouble keeping the battery charged, dont know what is causing this problem.anybody have any ideas The main problem I have is trying to get the engine codes read, in our location dealers charge you 75 dollars just to hook up and hopefully they can tell you what the code is for, I love the van for its looks and the way it drives but Im a do it yourselfer and unless I want to shell out a lot of money trying to maintain this vehicle is to costly. I have a 86 model GMC VANDURA but the cost of gas keeps it parked.
derewho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2005, 05:25 PM   #21
jagplates
AF Newbie

Code readers are available for $99 - $139 at automotive chain stores such as Autozone, Grand Auto, Pep Boys, etc. It is well worth the investment, especially if you are going to pay $75 just to have the codes read once.
jagplates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 10:40 AM   #22
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

DOn't pay that much, an OBD II/OBD I scanner can be had here for $29:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...gId=-1&TID=100
Old 01-10-2005, 10:53 AM   #23
cary leonard
AF Newbie

i have a 98 voyager 4 cylinder, 113,000 miles. the only problems have been relatively minor. the oil pan threads stripped twice (alum pan, soft threads) and pans had to be replaced. the dealer stripped them out, so be careful there. my front right speaker stopped working (and i need help getting off the dash to check it out)

just regular maintenance like brakes, wipers, etc and nothing big has gone bad. None of the transmission problems like others posted

i am very good with preventive maintenance and i guess this helps. maybe i've been lucky too.
cary leonard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 11:03 AM   #24
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

I have a 94, 2 89's and an 88, and on all those you can access the front speaker by popping off the plastic panel covering it. Did they make it hard to get at on the 98's?
Old 01-10-2005, 04:22 PM   #25
Mbriggs
AF Newbie

The panel comes off, it's just hard to do. Don't try it on a cold winter day or it will most likely crack! $7 speaker from Walmart fit almost perfectly.
Mbriggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2005, 06:01 PM   #26
HiRez_L
AF Enthusiast

Sweet! I usually get replacements from Radio Shack, I think last time I paid $12. I'll have to check Wal-Mart.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:13 AM   #27
scottw
AF Newbie

I have a 99 Sport.
- It has interior leakes that I have been battling for 5 years, one in the rear and one from under the dash. Its been to the dealer at least 7 times, they can't find either one. I have defeated one but am still battling the other.
- If you hit a bump while turning left the keys fall out of the ignition.
- Dash lights, speedo, fuel guage all die on cold days.
- Windshield wipers make one sweep whenever they feel like it, usually when starting or turning off or hitting a bump.
- Interior lights work some days, and don't on others
- Interior lights will come on for no reason
- Rear vent windows work some days, and don't on others.
- Closing slider on drivers side will sometimes cause all doors to lock
- AC smells like death
- Brakes are very short lived.

Other than that its a fine automobile.
scottw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2005, 11:47 AM   #28
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: 1996-2000 Caravan/Voyager issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagplates
I have friends with Ford Windstar & GM vans, and they have the same complaints as Chrysler van owners. They all blow head gaskets and eat transmissions.
If that's true, then there is something seriously WRONG and everyone needs to go back to their friggin' drawing boards and start over.

Before I spent four times more on my new GC in '96, I drove a 1986 Toyota LE Van for 197,000 miles and replaced ONLY a starter (once), an alternator (twice), and an idler pulley (once). Period. It was a five speed manual and I never even had to replace the clutch!

I refuse to accept Chrysler's pathetic track record for dependability as "normal."

I do NOT believe it is normal, for example, to replace a transmission every 65,000 miles or 3 years at $2,200 a pop, whichever comes first. I do NOT think it's "normal" to replace a driver's-side captain's chair for $999 after it breaks in 4 years. It is NOT normal to replace a parking break 4 times (and it's broken again) when the catch-wheel teeth keep breaking off. It is NOT normal for a CD player to crap out in less than 3 years. My list is nearly endless.

And to add insult to injury, my dealer had the cajones to charge me $100 for a broken CD storage door and those two tiny broken plastic straps that retain the glove box door - so much for Dodge's bullshit "Bumper-to-Bumper" Warranty. It isn't "Bumper-to-Bumper."

I bought a '96 GC and I read the horror stories. After nearly 9 years, Dodge should have most of the bugs out of the machine. They don't and I don't see it getting much better. I have embraced the horror - it is verrrry doubtfull I will ever again buy another Dodge POS.
Old 01-14-2005, 10:52 AM   #29
dholly
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiRez_L
DOn't pay that much, an OBD II/OBD I scanner can be had here for $29:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...gId=-1&TID=100
If only that were true! $29 is for the EZ-PC 500 PC LINK CD only. The OBD I & II scanners cost $529.99 and $699.99.
dholly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2005, 04:39 PM   #30
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2001CHY
Stay away from the 2000-2003 if you can. Nothing but electrical problems! The only way to fix it is GET RID OF IT!!!! The dealerships NEVER find anything wrong. Back to Pontiac SV6 or Honda for me.
I'm with you, brother. It kills me to think I'll be looking at Toyotas and Hondas again. What else can I do? I gave Dodge nearly 9 years to prove their product and service and, sad to say, they didn't measure up. I have no choice but to vote with my wallet. I hope some Dodge engineer visits this site and reads these testimonials because I really do want Dodge to build a better minivan so I can buy it.

I am going to hold off until 2006 and see if Daimler is able to pull some kind of miraculous engineering rabbit out of its hat with Chrysler transmissions. And then, that's it...

Last edited by HeadlessHorseman; 01-16-2005 at 06:58 AM.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager