Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 10:20 PM   #1
mrsmaddmaxx
AF Newbie

Easy care extended warranty

I am new and may have not found the fourm yet, I am looking for someone to sell easy care plan extended warranty at a reasonable price. My dealer wants $1,365.00 . Any one know if this is an average price? Thanks! I am looking for 7/100k or something similar. for an 2003 T&C with 27300 miles.
mrsmaddmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 09:39 PM   #2
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Are you sure your dealer will honor this type of warranty if you purchase it somewhere else? Beware of aftermarket warranties. MAKE SURE the repair shops and/or dealerships you plan to use for service will deal with the warranty company. Most are a total PITA & shops wont even deal with them. You wind up paying 100% of the bill yourself, then hashing it out with the warranty company to get reimbursed. Buying a warranty from the dealership you bought the car from usually works out fine. You can usually bargain a bit on price too!
G/luck
Joel
rodeo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 01:56 PM   #3
Deano
AF Newbie

Re: Easy care extended warranty

My dealer quoted $1500 for a similar warranty, so the $1365 is at least comparable.

What I find interesting is that the vehicle already has the 7/70 power train warranty, so I'd be buying double coverage on the power train!! Chrysler should be creative and sell a lower cost warranty that excludes the powertrain.

I used to have a GE warranty on a Ford SUV and that worked pretty well - reputable company, widely accepted, etc. Cost was about $900 if that helps.

Dean
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 02:28 PM   #4
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Easy care extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano
My dealer quoted $1500 for a similar warranty, so the $1365 is at least comparable.

What I find interesting is that the vehicle already has the 7/70 power train warranty, so I'd be buying double coverage on the power train!!..... .

Dean
14yrs/140Kmi for $1500?? Now that's a bargain! Are you sure that extended warranty isn't just an extension of the factory b/b & p-train coverage? They typically extend your bumper to bumper from 3yrs/36Kmi to 7yr/100Kmi & your p-train from 7/70 to 7/100. Like you say, you are already getting 7/70 p-train, so you are paying for only 30Kmi more. IMHO- it's still a good deal if you plan on driving the van for more than 7yrs.
G/luck
Joel
Old 02-10-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Deano
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Easy care extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodeo02
14yrs/140Kmi for $1500?? Now that's a bargain! Are you sure that extended warranty isn't just an extension of the factory b/b & p-train coverage? They typically extend your bumper to bumper from 3yrs/36Kmi to 7yr/100Kmi & your p-train from 7/70 to 7/100. Like you say, you are already getting 7/70 p-train, so you are paying for only 30Kmi more. IMHO- it's still a good deal if you plan on driving the van for more than 7yrs.
G/luck
Joel

Double Coverage = Redundant Coverage, as you said. My feeling is that the $1300+ is still pricey considering you already have p.t. coverage, and especially compared to other manufacturers' vehicles and plans which typically extend the warranty on a vehicle that doesn't already have the p.t. coverage. But then again you have to consider the recent mechanical reputation of the T&C, which is why they offer the 7/70 p.t. in the first place.

And why do you think its only a good deal if you drive MORE than 7 years? At 7 years the warranty expires, so I would say its a good deal if you plan on keeping the vehicle UP TO 7 years, unless you're aware of an option that covers more than 7 (?).

I'm gettting another quote on the extended warranty tomorrow and will post if I made any progress on the price.

Dean
Old 02-11-2004, 06:07 AM   #6
rodeo02
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: Re: Easy care extended warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano
...And why do you think its only a good deal if you drive MORE than 7 years? At 7 years the warranty expires, so I would say its a good deal if you plan on keeping the vehicle UP TO 7 years, unless you're aware of an option that covers more than 7 (?)...Dean
If you plan on dumping the van in 7yrs or less, why would you pay for extended PT. warranty? You already get 7/70 for free? If your goal is to extend the bumper to bumper from 3/36 to 7/70 or higher, that's another issue. An HVAC or electrical accessory problem beyond 3/36 COULD easily run into a $1000 repair bill, but then again, you may not have any problems until beyond 100Kmi when the warranty expires- in which case that $1300 "extended" warranty was a waste of money.
G/luck
Joel
Old 02-14-2004, 04:11 PM   #7
digimon
AF Enthusiast

You should check out this sight http://www.lemonaidcars.com/chrysler.htm and make sure that you skrole down to "Extra Warranties Not Always Needed"
This whole sight is very interesting and you look over the sight but the before mentioned area deals with what you had asked about. Ride On, digimon
digimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 08:09 AM   #8
Deano
AF Newbie

Dealer re-quoted me $2300 for a 7/100 bumper-to-bumper Chrysler warranty.

The price varies of course due to the different variables, including tiers and deductibles.

I came across a site that seems to have the same pricing figures the dealer is using - www.servicecontracts.chrysler.com

-Dean
Old 01-17-2005, 01:15 PM   #9
mitch35
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to mitch35

the cost on that warranty is $1831. That is for Total care. Take that price and run with it.
mitch35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2005, 09:53 PM   #10
Matimus
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Matimus Send a message via Yahoo to Matimus

For my 2002 Town and Country Limited, it cost $790 to extend the Bumper-to-Bumper Warranty from 3/36000 to 7/70000 with a $100 deductible at the dealership. The original warranty included the 7/70000 Power Train.

When I bought my 1992 Dodge Grand Caravan, I offered the dealer half of what they were asking .... and they TOOK IT!

Good Luck Bargaining!
Matimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #11
legal-lady
AF Newbie

Should I buy extended warranty from another company instead of Chrysler dealership?

I have a 2002 T&C with 34,000 miles on it. The factory warranty will be running out soon (expires @ 36,000 miles) and I want to get an extended warranty. The Chrysler dealership offers an extended warranty for $1,823, but Warranty Activation Headquarters, a company in St. Louis, Missouri, offers an extended warranty that covers more for $1,600 and it is for a year longer or 5,000 miles more than Chrysler offers. Has anyone out there ever purchased an extended warranty from this type of company? If so, please let me know of your experience with that. Did you have any problems with all mechanic and/or service depts. honoring the warranty? Also, if I were to decide to go with Chrysler instead, how much would be reasonable to talk them down to? Thanks!
legal-lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2005, 08:35 AM   #12
Matimus
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to Matimus Send a message via Yahoo to Matimus

Hello Legal-Lady,

I can't tell from your post whether you received a quote for 70,000 miles or 100,000 miles or whatever! The quote seems high particularly since you should still have DriveTrain coverage until 70,000 miles unless you bought one of the earliest T&C's. Personally, I would over them half!

Mr. Ed
Matimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2005, 02:26 PM   #13
HeadlessHorseman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to HeadlessHorseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmaddmaxx
I am new and may have not found the fourm yet, I am looking for someone to sell easy care plan extended warranty at a reasonable price. My dealer wants $1,365.00 . Any one know if this is an average price? Thanks! I am looking for 7/100k or something similar. for an 2003 T&C with 27300 miles.
Chances are you WILL blow a tranny before 100K and when you do, it will probably cost more than $1,365 to fix it... Read the agreement carefully... I bought the 7yr/100K extended warranty from Chrysler and it excluded plastic parts inside the cabin (many of which broke and I had to pay out-of-pocket. "Bumper-to-Bumper" does not mean what it should mean. There may be other exclusions as well.
HeadlessHorseman is offline   Reply With Quote