Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #1
cosmogony
AF Newbie

99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in "limp mode"

I have a 1999 Grand Caravan Sport and I noticed somebody had similar problems that I have, except for the error codes on the sensor.

Problems:

(Different code read out P0500, speed sensor, and P1698 auxillary input.

1. CEL(Service/Check Engine Light) is on.

2. The speedometer doesn't work, it stays at 0 all the time.

3. The odometer doesn't work either.

4. While driving on the highway, it sounded like the engine was in a low gear the whole time, and I was pushing 3200 RPM or more just to keep up with traffic.

5. When i shift into and out of reverse gear, the car shakes more violentlly then ever before.

I understand the transmission is in "limp mode" and there is a lot of different reasons for this problem. I changed the speed sensors, and the transmission sensors and the same problems still exists.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions, I am stranded.
cosmogony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 12:07 AM   #2
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Re: 99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in "limp mode"

make sure that when you put in the new sensors, you didn't mix them up; there are two that control transmission output; the input speed sensor and the output. Generally, they're not interchangeable, but I have seen people mix them up.
theFREAKnasty82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 09:05 PM   #3
cosmogony
AF Newbie

99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in limp mode

Thanks for the response, I made sure that I placed the sensors in correctly; however, this was not the problem after I double checked. Please feel free to let me know if you have any other suggestions.
cosmogony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Lui340
AF Newbie

Angry

Hi Guys
I wasdriving downtown, when I was coming to a stop, I felt a little jerk.
Then when the lights were green and I wsa ready to drive the CEL came on and the tranny went on limp mode, next stop I noticed that all transmisson markings were lit on the instrument pannel but that went off by itself shortly after. Later I retreived the error codes P0500,p1698 Haynes book said that code 66 on mil code may mean P1698 or P1695 which means (no messages from the BCM) while the other means no messages from the TCM.
However after driving back to my house, the tranny went normal in shifting and was as smooth as ever, looks like I`m gonna have an intermittant problem. I`d appreciate any suggestions
Lui340 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2005, 11:46 PM   #5
Lui340
AF Newbie

Re: 99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lui340
Hi Guys
I wasdriving downtown, when I was coming to a stop, I felt a little jerk.
Then when the lights were green and I wsa ready to drive the CEL came on and the tranny went on limp mode, next stop I noticed that all transmisson markings were lit on the instrument pannel but that went off by itself shortly after. Later I retreived the error codes P0500,p1698 Haynes book said that code 66 on mil code may mean P1698 or P1695 which means (no messages from the BCM) while the other means no messages from the TCM.
However after driving back to my house, the tranny went normal in shifting and was as smooth as ever, looks like I`m gonna have an intermittant problem. I`d appreciate any suggestions
I forgot to mention that my van is a sport 1996,3.3L engine. Thanks
Old 02-10-2005, 02:36 AM   #6
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Check your PCM and TCM and make sure that your connections are good going to the modules. A bad connection will cause a communication code.
Old 02-10-2005, 09:02 PM   #7
B33p3r
AF Regular

For some reason I seem to remember a post or 2 some time back with similiar "LIMP"mode issues. If my memory serves me correctly there was a Ground problem. The ground for some strap for transmission electronics was dirty. Sorry I can't be more specific. But it would be worth a shot to clean up the ground connections on the transmission sensors
B33p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 11:31 PM   #8
Lui340
AF Newbie

Re: Re: 99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in "limp mode"

Thanx for ur reply, but did u mean check the connections of the BCM and TCM or u have another check on ur mind???? Appreciate ur reply
Old 02-11-2005, 04:27 AM   #9
theFREAKnasty82
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Re: 99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lui340
Thanx for ur reply, but did u mean check the connections of the BCM and TCM or u have another check on ur mind???? Appreciate ur reply
Just check your connections at your powertrain control module and the transmission control module; make sure nothing's loose. The body control module doesn't really have anything to do with your problem, from what it appears.
Old 02-11-2005, 07:35 AM   #10
Lui340
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Re: Re: 99 Dodge Caravan transmission is in

Quote:
Originally Posted by theFREAKnasty82
Just check your connections at your powertrain control module and the transmission control module; make sure nothing's loose. The body control module doesn't really have anything to do with your problem, from what it appears.

Nevermind I just went to the van pushed a bit on the BCM connections, then checked the connection on the TCM, then started the engine,,and what do you know"the CEL went off and the van drove like a butter".
Thanx a million Freak you are a experienced genious.
Old 02-26-2005, 09:02 PM   #11
Si Integra
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Si Integra

Where is the bcm located exactly?
Si Integra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 07:49 AM   #12
Vats
AF Regular

Could be the coil pack. I had a similar problem last year. 3 places told me the transmission neded replaced. You should be able to clear the fault codes. If the codes can't be cleared, it may be an electrical fault. With mine the coil pack was shot.
Vats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2006, 08:28 AM   #13
tjpank
AF Newbie

My 2001 Dodge Caravan goes into limp mode and won't go above 2nd gear, the headlights go out, the fan won't blow, the speedometor goes up and down, and the drive, park, reverse lights all light up. If I knock on the fuse box it snaps out of it. It won't snap out if I just shut the car off. Any suggestions? They tell me they can't fix it enless it is acting up. It never acts up at the dealership. Only when I am driving with my children. Help this new mom
tjpank is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Dodge > Caravan | Voyager