Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 09:03 PM   #1
turbocivic4
AF Newbie

Hondata

I JUST EMAILED A LETTER TO HONDATA INQUIRING ABOUT THEIR ECUS AND THE BENEFITS IT WILL HAVE ON MY SETUP
I MENTIONED MY WHOLE SET UP TO THEM AND STATED THAT I WOULD PERMANENTLY BE RUNNING AT 7PSI.
I ALSO MENTIONED THAT I HAD 270 CC RC INJECTORS NOT PUT ON BECAUSE OF OVERRICH CONDITIONS.
THEY GUY AT HONDATA TOLD ME IN THE LETTER THAT 270CC INJECTORS ARE TOO SMALL ?????
HE SAID THAT WITH THEIR SETUP U NEED 350CC INJECTORS OR LIKE 420 CC INJECTORS
MY QUESTION IS Y DOES HE SAY I NEED EVEN BIGGER INJECTORS WHEN THE 270CC INJECTORS ALREADY PROVIDE MORE THEN ENOUGH FUEL AT 7PSI
DOESNT MAKE SENSE IN MY OPINION?
Gude Turbo Head w/ Cam
Greddy turbo charger w/ Intercooler
Blitz Electronic Boost Controller
Weopon R Fuel Regulator
MSD Ignition w/ Coil
Bullfrog Throttle Body
Aem Underdrive Pulleys Nology Wires
AGX Suspension
Exhaust Systems
All Strut Braces
15 inch Albas w/GoodrichEuro Tires
Sparco Torino Seats
Carbon Fiber Dash
Momo Steering Wheel
Shift knobs w/ pedals
APC White Guage Faces
Custom Black Carpet
turbocivic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:33 PM   #2
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
probably because they think you should keep your injector usage to 80% or less duty. your probably overly rich right now because the fuel pressure is jacked up to high. its a whole differnt ballgame when your not using insane fuel pressure to deliver your fuel, but a hell of a lot safer and reliable.

check this out to see whats up

http://www.rceng.com/technical.htm#WORKSHEET
ric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:39 PM   #3
neouser
AF Regular

Talking

That's because you were trying to run 270cc injectors at stock duty cycle. With one of their units, you can pull back duty cycle. For instance, 270cc injectors at 43.5 psi of fuel pressure and 30% duty cycle will yield much more flow than 270cc injectors at 43.5 psi of fuel pressure and 15% duty cycle. The problem you're having with an overly rich condition stems from using the larger injectors with stock fuel maps and duty cycles. With the Hondata, you can manually program it to pull more duty cycle, allowing you to use larger injectors. At 7 psi of boost, you're looking at somewhere between 310-330cc injectors for adequate fuel flow. Hondata usually recommends that you use 440cc RC lucas disc type injectors with their standalone. On top of that, the Hondata not only has the ability to pull massive duty cycle at idle and out of boost, but it also has the capability to add more duty cycle than the stock ECU allows when you're under boost if you get the boost package for it. (signified by the addition of "b" to the unit stage. For instance, Hondata 2b, Hondata 3b, etc...)
neouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2002, 10:45 PM   #4
neouser
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally posted by i like naked girls
...your probably overly rich right now because the fuel pressure is jacked up to high. its a whole differnt ballgame when your not using insane fuel pressure to deliver your fuel, but a hell of a lot safer and reliable....
"Naked girls" makes a very good point. Is your Weapon R FPR a rising rate? If so, that's another reason why you're flooding. 270cc injectors at stock duty cycles with increased fuel pressure will definitely push you well above what you need. The Hondata eliminates the need for a rising rate FPR and keeps your fuel pressure relatively stock, say, no more than 50 psi or so. It compensates with the larger injectors and increased/decreased duty cycle. Definitely something to think about...
neouser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 12:57 AM   #5
turbocivic4
AF Newbie

k

well my regulator is not a rising rate
1.so ill be running big injecotrs 370cc etc and at 7psi my car will run better then how it is now with the stock injectors, because i feel now that my stock injectors meet the demands of the turbo at only 7psi?
2.Will the ecu tweak be worth the money/>
3. Whats the difference if i just run the 270 cc injectors have the ecu cut down the fuel flow because it will never be runned to max capacity so y should i go with even bigger injectors????????
Gude Turbo Head w/ Cam
Greddy turbo charger w/ Intercooler
Blitz Electronic Boost Controller
Weopon R Fuel Regulator
MSD Ignition w/ Coil
Bullfrog Throttle Body
Aem Underdrive Pulleys Nology Wires
AGX Suspension
Exhaust Systems
All Strut Braces
15 inch Albas w/GoodrichEuro Tires
Sparco Torino Seats
Carbon Fiber Dash
Momo Steering Wheel
Shift knobs w/ pedals
APC White Guage Faces
Custom Black Carpet
turbocivic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2002, 02:18 AM   #6
ric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to ric
Re: k

Quote:
Originally posted by turbocivic4
well my regulator is not a rising rate
1.so ill be running big injecotrs 370cc etc and at 7psi my car will run better then how it is now with the stock injectors, because i feel now that my stock injectors meet the demands of the turbo at only 7psi?
2.Will the ecu tweak be worth the money/>
3. Whats the difference if i just run the 270 cc injectors have the ecu cut down the fuel flow because it will never be runned to max capacity so y should i go with even bigger injectors????????

if your regulator isnt a boost dependent rising rate then how exactly do you have it setup? i would guess you have the pressure fairly high so you dont lean out up top? that might be your rich problem right there. if its jacked up sky high from idle then your gonna be gettin way to much fuel at idle. if you dont get the EMU i would strongly suggest you get a boost dependent rising rate fuel pressure regulator. that way at least your pressure is sky high all of the time.

1)basically it will run better because your not rely on fuel pressure to deliver your fuel so you wont have those wide rich to lean swings you get with a RR regulator. you have the ability to adjust the duty cycle dependent on where it needs to be at any given area. and with the bigger injectors you wont have the fear of running them at high duty cycles. injector failure is a bitch, when they die they stay open and just flood gas, ive heard stories about gas streaming out of the exhaust pipe. basically all in all it will help you get closer to achieving a perfect air fuel ratio through fine tuning. the one thing i hate about these kits is how they just jack up the fuel pressure on stock injectors to "cure" the fuel delivery problem when all it is, is a problem itself to just put a weak patch over an allready existing problem.

2) if you value your engines reliability and safety then simply...yes it will be worth it. not to mention with fine tuning like this you may be able to no cancel that will be able to harness more power from your pre existing setup.

3) probably because they feel you really shouldnt be maxing out your injectors or really even coming close to it.

as a side note these cars werent meant to be turbocharged, they need lots of special care as opposed to a factory turbo car that can read boost. i recommend to everyone who has any sort of forced induction on a honda to not rely on fuel pressure for to long. if you value the money youve spent thus far you'll go the extra mile to make sure it works the right way.

p.s. if your on a budget another system that us prelude people are having success with is the pms unit from efi. so far it seems to be the only one out there that can retain factory accessory systems like the sh's atts system. it doesnt replace or reprogram the stock ecu it alters the signals that leave it. the base model is like 899.00 and povides a fair amount but there is a software upgrade that makes it rank up there near the rest of them.

its wortha shot check it out
http://www.efisystems.com/pms.htm

and also an individual website from a guy with an rx7 who runs it
http://www.newwave.net/~flanham/wlanham/

although if you got the money to drop on a hondata 4b go for cause its cool as fuck.
ric is offline   Reply With Quote