Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Breeze
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
vando002
AF Regular

need tie rod help on breeze

i have a 96 plymouth breeze with over 140k and i'm trying to replaced the tie rods. the driver side tie rod end isn't unthreading from the inner tie rod so i figured i might as well change the whole thing. the inner tie rod has a boot over it which makes it impossible to take apart. anyone ever replace the inner tie rod on a breeze. any quick help will be appreciated. thanks!!

```i got the boot moved back so i could see inside it and it looks like the tie rod that's in there doesn't thread off of the steering rack but the replacement part i have has threads for it to just screw into. please, any help would be great. thanks again.

Last edited by vando002; 10-31-2007 at 03:34 PM.
vando002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 08:22 AM   #2
vando002
AF Regular

Re: need tie rod help on breeze

I FIGURED IT OUT!!!! For anyone who is trying to replace the inner tie rods on your Plymouth Breeze, DON'T TAKE IT TO THE MECHANIC THAT TELLS YOU THAT YOU HAVE TO TAKE OUT THE ENTIRE RACK TO REMOVE THE INNER TIE RODS!! The guy told me this and I couldn't believe it, it would cost me $440 to replace the inners and outers. The parts cost me $75. AND THE BEST PART, THE MECHANIC ALSO TOLD ME THAT I NEEDED A "SPECIAL TOOL" TO UNSCREW THE INNER TIE ROD!! What a crock!! I had to figure out a different way to do this. What I did was took a long, skinny screw driver to pop off the metal clamp on the inner part of the dust boot and pulled the dust boot back as far as it could go. You then can see the part where the inner tie rod screws into the rack. There was a yellow plastic ring that I had to move out of the way too, I also used a screwdriver for that. Then I jumped in the car and turned the wheel all the way to the right. I was working on the drivers side. This brought out the tie rod as far as it could go. It just so happens that the tie rod made it just outside of the wheel well. So I used 2 brand new vice grips, put one on the rack just inside the tie rod and the other one on the tie rod itself. I then broke the tie rod loose and out it came. Took maybe 10 minutes per side to get them out. And my "special tool" ended up being 2 vice grips. I just hope someone reads this if they have trouble taking out those tie rods.
vando002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 02:31 AM   #3
kyo001
AF Newbie

Re: need tie rod help on breeze

Hi, I just did this today on my 96 breeze. Was a real pain in the arse for me, only because I didnt have the right tools. Inner and outer tie rod parts from autoz*ne were pretty cheap, and I was able to rent the inner-tie-rod-removal tool, but didnt end up using it. The nut on the inner tie rod, was stuck on there real bad, took alot of short breaks and coming back to it, to finally get it loose from the outer tie rod, even used a nut de-rusting fluid.

The next obstacle I ran into was the inner tie rod dust boot. Because the nut on the inner tie rod was rusted on there solid, I could not simply slide off the dust boot, so I ended up cutting it off, then I found my last obstacle, the inner tie rod ball joint on my breeze, was completely round, no grooves at all, just a yellow plastic clip on the back, and the inner-tie-rod removal tool would not grasp the ball joint to unscrew it from the rack, so I used a vice grip and got it off eventually. Also putting a new dust boot over the new inner tie rod and securing it with a zip tie, or clamp prooved to be too tough, so I am going to have a mechanic do it, just couldnt get in the tight spot good enough to hold the dust boot in place, and secure a clamp onto the rack/dust boot to hold it in place, also, I am gonna have to get a mechanic to put grease in the outer tie rod rubber part, I do not have grease/gun.

This job ended up only costing me about $58(inner tie rod $27, outer tie rod $22, and new dust boot), and 5 hours of time(mind you, I didnt have the right tools, and had to call friends to bring over the right tools, and took alot of short breaks while trying to loosen nuts). I saved $70-$150 in labor had I taken it to my mechanic, he could not see me until mon-tues, so I figured I had to buy the parts anyways to have him put them on, I might as well try to do the work myself, this job was hard, but I knew I could do it, I have never really worked on a car, and didnt have half the right tools for the job, but I would say this is a Medium Difficulty-Easy, if you have the right tools. If I had to do this job again, I would say it would take me less then 1.5 hours to complete, and I saved alot in labor alone, I am still gonna have my mechanic look over what I did in a couple days when he can see me, but I think I did a good job. Gonna get a certified alignment when I get 2 new tires this week, I eyeballed the alignment myself, and no pull or tug when I drive. Hope this helps other plymouth breeze DIY people with tie rod issues. I know I looked and looked before I attempted to do this myself, I used ifitjams.com videos, and this post on a honda forum for detailed instructions. http://civic-eg.com/viewtopic.php?t=13588
kyo001 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Plymouth > Breeze