Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:23 PM   #1
1313joe
AF Newbie

Question unable to open hood 75 vette help

i just got a 75 vette and the hood release on passanger side is locked cable is broke in center not sure how to get hood open, can pull steel cable and hear it moving but wont release latch...any ideas please let me know...already tried to go from underneath but unable to get to cable???
1313joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 10:19 AM   #2
VETTER47
AF Newbie

Re: unable to open hood 75 vette help

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1313joe
i just got a 75 vette and the hood release on passanger side is locked cable is broke in center not sure how to get hood open, can pull steel cable and hear it moving but wont release latch...any ideas please let me know...already tried to go from underneath but unable to get to cable???
Joe, I have found an 81 vette that I am contemplating buying but have the same problem that you had with this 75 vette and cannot get the hood open to see what problems the engine may or maynot have. Have you solved your problem and can you let me in on the secret as to how you got your hood open. Thanks for any advice you or any of the other readers can give.
Email me at Prosup1@aol.com
VETTER47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 08:46 AM   #3
Ecordeddie
AF Newbie

I've been looking at this post for some time and hope it never happens to me.... in the mean time I've been restoring the interior of my '79. I've got the entire interior pulled out including the dash.

I've studied the problem somewhat and the only solution I can think of is destructive. That is, to saw the hood around the latches by the windshield.

You can't get to the hood latch bolts from under the dash...
You can't get to the hood cable from under the car unless you've got plastic arms...

You may be able to remove the hood by taking off the front hood latch bolts behind the headlights attached to the frame...but this is a big if.

You may be able to saw a hole in the floor/driver side wheel well and get to a portion of the cable and pull on it from there....

Other than that I can't see another sollution besides sawing a hole....
Ecordeddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
dnewman
AF Newbie

Smile Re: unable to open hood 75 vette help

I have a 79 and was able to reach up from under the pass side of the car and snag the cable with a hanger and open it. The bracket that holds the wire had broken but the wire was still in tack. If the wire had broken it would not have worked.

After getting the hood opened I noticed that there was a rubber hole plug placed from the engine side just at the rear of the hood lever. I suspect that with the hood stuck closed you could punch out the plug from the window side with an angled tool then press down on the release to open the hood.
dnewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:34 AM   #5
sub006
AF Enthusiast

Thirty-plus years ago, the hood would not open on my wife's '66 coupe. I jacked it up, placed it on stands and crawled underneath. With a trouble light and a LONG screwdriver I was able to reach and pop the latch at the driver's side firewall corner of the hood (That's where the hood release cable comes through).
sub006 is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette