Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
shineofleo
AF Newbie

Advice for painting top studio small connectors

I think many of you are familiar with Top Studio and its detail parts. For example, TD23010 and TD23011 are small connectors, quite useful. On TS home page there is some information, but I am not quite sure about the procedure so you advice is appreciated! Here we go...

* They are resin, do I need to coat the prime first?
* TS tip4 say using Mr. hobby SM01 as the base coat. After the first question, is it applied by airbrush or hand painting? I just want to be lazy since these are very small parts anyway...
* So what is your optimized procedure with these tiny parts? They are small, but really need to be treated well to have a 'metal feeling'!

Thanks!
shineofleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 01:55 PM   #2
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Re: Advice for painting top studio small connectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineofleo View Post
I think many of you are familiar with Top Studio and its detail parts. For example, TD23010 and TD23011 are small connectors, quite useful. On TS home page there is some information, but I am not quite sure about the procedure so you advice is appreciated! Here we go...

* They are resin, do I need to coat the prime first?
* TS tip4 say using Mr. hobby SM01 as the base coat. After the first question, is it applied by airbrush or hand painting? I just want to be lazy since these are very small parts anyway...
* So what is your optimized procedure with these tiny parts? They are small, but really need to be treated well to have a 'metal feeling'!

Thanks!
I do prime, as resin can "suck" paint up and require multiple coats.

It depends on what color you need to paint them, bronze or black. If black, just a semi-gloss or flat black will do. If bronze, I usually use a gold over black and it tends to work well. I normally paint them before removing them from the sprue.

I've used them a bunch and that's what I have found successful. You can even use a toothpick or a fine wire to paint them once on the model if you're ambitious!
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 04:06 AM   #3
shineofleo
AF Newbie

Thanks. In some tutorial they paint transparent color on the silver to create something like 'gold' (silver + clear orange on it) effect. But again, this can be good to do big parts, for small part, I think it is too complicated.
Old 04-08-2011, 07:38 AM   #4
racer93
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineofleo View Post
Thanks. In some tutorial they paint transparent color on the silver to create something like 'gold' (silver + clear orange on it) effect. But again, this can be good to do big parts, for small part, I think it is too complicated.
Yep, the clear orange over silver trick does produce "gold". I've seen it work beautifully. However, it's easiest to put the *least* amount of paint you can on a small part to try and not cover details. It's easy to do with acrylic or enamel paints that tend to go on thick.

Daniel
racer93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:09 AM   #5
shineofleo
AF Newbie

A quick one: which one is preferred, hand painting or airbrush the clear color?