Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
stan64572
AF Newbie

94 safari,no shift,no speedo,abs light

my 94 safari was running fine when parked.,stayed parked about a month.when ready to use replaced battery to crank but on driving discovered trans. wont shift out of low and speedometer dont work,also anti-lock light is illuminated. wiring to speed sensor on trans. seems fine.no blown fuses found,dont know what might have happened while it sat. please help.thanks
stan64572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM   #2
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: 94 safari,no shift,no speedo,abs light

double check your "brake" fuse-it is toward lower part of fuse box. Mine did what yours does - and my ABS module was shorting out the speed signal circuit- so I cut the ABS feed and the fuse no longer blows (no ABS now) but at least it shifts and I have a digital speedometer.....It is a 15 amp and when it blows it does everything you described--primarily not shifting. I would guess your ABS module (too expensive for me to replace) has an internal short. If yours is like mine-it will blow the fuse again in a few days- so keep some spares-- I finally gave up and traced it to the ABS module and cut that hot wire so my van will shift, have a speedo etc.. just no ABS brakes==makes it like a '91 van when there was no ABS brakes- not worth fixing as far as I'm concerned..bb
'99 GMC Yukon
'95 Chev 3500, 454 Dually Crew Cab- 145k miles-
Wife's Camel trailer puller.
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'94 Firebird Formula- 5.7L 180k miles- gone-
'92 Chevy Lumina Van 3.8L 264k
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
'87 Buick Park Ave . 187k
'86 Buick Park Ave 3.8L 199k miles- gone
'77 Chevy Vega- 2.5L 175k miles gone but not forgotten
'68 Camaro 396 4 spd RS/SS -72k miles-
brcidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 10:09 AM   #3
stan64572
AF Newbie

safari ABS control module

can anyone tell me where the abs control module is located and what it looks like? It has been suggested that I cut the hot wire to disable. I would like to try this to see if it will solve some of the other problems, but I dont know what to look for.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 AM   #4
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

Re: safari ABS control module

Was your 15 amp brake fuse blown? You did not have to create a new thread- it is best to keep the discussion going in the same thread to get the entire story and circumstances so others can learn....

Anyway- ABS module is under master cylinder-outside under hood beside battery. To test for this as the source for a blown fuse-- merely unplug the module and see if fuse remains intact (no longer blows). the connection has several wires in it and is a fair sized plug.... always test first- before making disabling decisions
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
Old 02-10-2008, 01:01 PM   #5
Blue Bowtie
Registered Offender

Depending upon your model year, the ABS power relay may be under the driver's seat, tucked inside the left subframe rail. You can disconnect the electrical connector there to isolate that as well.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:13 PM   #6
stan64572
AF Newbie

I am new to this site so not sure if replying right.but anyway,the fuse was blown and will blow another as soon as key is turned on. I have checked wires to both front wheel speed sensors and wires to the speed sensor in trans, all seem ok. I disconected both wheel sensors and control module,still blows fuse immeaditly,checked wiring into fuse block from behind battery nothing found.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
stan64572
AF Newbie

Im sorry blue bowtie,but its a 1994 gmc safari,with 4.3,auto trans. all three things happened at once brake fuse blew,anti-lock light came on speedo quit and trans wont shift. I would be happy just to get it to shift.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM   #8
stan64572
AF Newbie

the 1994 GMC safari with no speedo or trans shift.... I just found that by unplugging the flat harness that is plugged in to the brake light switch,I now have speedo and will shift, but of course no brake lights. does anyone know how I might can get the brake lights back working without the other problem, in othe words which wire can I eliminate.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:21 PM   #9
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

As I stated before- the ABS module is shorting internally- by unplugging the brake pedal switch you have disconnected the ABS hot wire feed (purple wire)so that the fuse no longer blows-- as well as your brake lights-- so if you want brake lights please plug that switch connector back in and unplug the ABS module plug out under your hood- under the master cylinder below and to the left of your battery--- also note that your ABS light will remain on all the time-- but you can always put some black electrical tape over it.....not the right way to fix things-- but who has got $1100 for a new ABS module???

If the brake lights were shorting- they would blow an entirely different fuse- (the stop lamp fuse)-- so to elimate just the offending element- just unplug the ABS module- or cut the purple wire in front of it - if you can't get it unplugged-- cutting the purple wire at the brake switch connector would do the same thing- but may interfere with your TCC release.....

.been there done that-- I didn't get 360,000 out of my '94 Astro without learning some tricks along the way.......
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 PM   #10
stan64572
AF Newbie

hi brcidd, thanks again for your excellent help with this safari so far,but I did unplug the module first at least I think I did, I found the module and there was a harness running to it that contained many wires,I couldnt get my hand down to the connector to unplug there, but the other end of the harness ran behind the battery where it connected with a weatherproof connector which fed to the back of the fuse box this is where I unplugged ,then still blew the fuse which is located at the bottom and to the right of the fuse box labeled brake i understand that I may cut the purple wire off the brake light switch connector to solve problem, but what is the TCC release you refered to?
Old 02-12-2008, 09:50 AM   #11
brcidd
AF Enthusiast

To make things simple--if you can't unplug that ABS module connector at the connector- then snip the purple wire at the ABS connector, not at the brake pedal- make the cut at a point where it would be possible to splice it back at some time later. The purple wire at the brake pedal switch also feeds back to the PCM which would tell it when to release your transmission torque converter lock-up mechanism (basically keeps the tranny turning the same speed as the engine to improve mpg). If this was not active- then your engine would stall at stop signs-- so don't cut it att he brake pedal-- I did nnot have any trouble unplugging my ABS module connector- but I often use dental picks and the like to pull back on plastic tabs....
'99 GMC Yukon
'94 Astro- 370k miles
'86 GMC S-15 - 2.8L 154k
Old 02-12-2008, 06:07 PM   #12
stan64572
AF Newbie

thanks brcidd, I just got home from work and read your last post,I will try that as soon as I get a chance,its dark and stormy here now.let you know how it turns out,Im going to try harder to get the wires unplugged at the abs module..
Old 02-17-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
stan64572
AF Newbie

I now have the 94 safari going that wouldnt shift and no speedometer, blowing fuses. I cut the purple wire going into the brake light switch connector at the connector itself. The van will now shift,I have speedometer, the brake lights work, and dont blow the fuse,of course no antilock brakes
Old 04-15-2010, 09:06 PM   #14
MN Safari
AF Newbie

Help! I am having this very same issue and tried disconnecting the ABS connector as well as clipping the purple wire with no success (fuse still blowing when braked pedal is depressed). I noticed that there are 3 connectors that plug into the ABS module- one on the right side (power?) when in the middle and one on the left side. I have unplugged both the one on the left and the middle (same time) and still blowing the brake fuse when the brake pedal is depressed. There is a flat 6 blade connector on the side of the brake pedal. Blades 1 & 2 and blades 3 & 4 (when linked) have continuity when the brake pedal isn't pressed while blades 5 & 6 have no continuity. When the brake is pressed the opposite occurs - blades 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 lose continuity while blades 5 & 6. Blade 5 has 2 orange colored wires and blade 6 has a large white color wire. Any ideas what these two wires lead to/from? Any other suggestions what may be blowing this fuse?
MN Safari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:01 PM   #15
wireit
AF Newbie

Hi all, I have been having the same problem with my 1994 GMC Safari and when I located the ABS Controler under the break system there are 3 seperate harnes plugs attached to it. One of them has exposed cable and I can see the Purple but verry hard to get at and want to make sure the other 2 don't have a Purple cable also.
Also I haven't found a blown fuse and checked them all but canot pinpoint which fuse is for the ABS Controller.
Any help!
wireit is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Astro > M Bodies