Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Crown Victoria
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
skinnyhoover
AF Newbie

Loose transmission linkage

Hey everyone. I have a '93 Crown Vic and it seems that the linkage between the shifter on the column and the transmission is gradually slipping. Wasn't that bad at first, but now reverse is somewhere between park and neutral and to get it into park you need to literally "slam" it to the left. Drive seems ok, but for all I know it could be going into 2nd or something. It's actually slipped out of park before and rolled across thparking lot (luckily not hitting anything)! Anyways, it's been getting progressively worse, and I was just wondering if anyone knew where to start on the diagnosis or what it would take to correct this problem.

Thanks!!!
skinnyhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
Wheel7
AF Newbie

Re: Loose transmission linkage

I don't know if this is your problem but there are 2 bolts which may be torx head under the steering column where the shifter cable attaches to an arm on the column. They have a reputation for coming loose and if one drops out, it is almost impossible to shift. To see it you have to remove the plastic cover under the steering column, I don't remember but you may have to remove a metal cover too.
Wheel7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wheel7 For This Useful Post:
94&92Astro (04-22-2011)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:18 PM   #3
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via MSN to olopezm Send a message via Skype™ to olopezm

I think it is a Torx 10 head; It is not 100% necessary to remove the metal cover, but it might help to get more light down there.

Once you're down there check the BOO switch too, it is located in front of the brake pedal and it might be sticking since the car shifted out of park (which shouldn't happen unless the brake pedal is depressed). See if the car shifts out of park without depressing the pedal, if it does taking out the boo switch and giving it a good clean might do the trick after all it is a spring-loaded contact.

Best regards,

Oscar.
olopezm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 08:32 PM   #4
skinnyhoover
AF Newbie

Hey, thanx guys I just now got to it, and it was the 2 torx bolts you mentioned. Lucky for me the plastic and metal cover were both missing (old cop car) so it took me all of 5 min. Shifter's nice and tight now, better than when I bought it. Thanks again!!!!
skinnyhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 04:39 PM   #5
Mdvanpelt
AF Newbie

Same thing happened to my '93 Crown Vicki. Tightened the bolts and she drove like a dream for about two weeks. This week, got in, started the car, went to put it in gear and heard a loud "thunk" sound and the gear shift was loose--couldn't put the car into gear. Had to have it towed home. What should I look for or do now?? Thanks.
Mdvanpelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

There is a cast aluminum shift tube that is bad about breaking. Remove the lower portion of the dash, then be sure to take the gear indicator string loose. Remove the 4 bolts holding the steering column and lower it. Remove the plastic trim around the column. Look at the part that holds the shifter in place. it probably has a break in it. I think dealer is only place to get a new one.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:43 PM   #7
Mdvanpelt
AF Newbie

Thanks. I'll look tomorrow. Dumb question--will a Ford dealer sell me the replacement tube?
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 PM   #8
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdvanpelt View Post
Thanks. I'll look tomorrow. Dumb question--will a Ford dealer sell me the replacement tube?
That's right, you can get it either at the dealer or a junkyard, just make sure it's in good condition and has no cracks.

Best regards,

Oscar.

EDIT: Sorry I didn't read your first post about towing your car home, disregard anything about the bolts. Good luck!

BY THE WAY WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Old 01-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #9
Mdvanpelt
AF Newbie

Thanks again for the help. We it tore apart and sure enough, it was the shift tube--broken in two at the gasket. Paid $65.00 (including tax) for the new shift tube, a plunger which sits inside the tube and two new gaskets from our local Ford dealer. It took us about 2 1/2 hours to replace but that included breaks to warm our hands and the rest of us in the house.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:50 PM   #10
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Thanks for the fix reply. We do not get enough of those.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #11
Djandreau
AF Newbie

Hi, everyone, I have a '93 Automatic Crown Vic myself, and I am having some problems. One, I don't know how many miles the car really has, the numbers have been the same since I got it from my mother-in-law, who's son had it, and his uncle had it before him. Well, the care has been perfect till up to a month or so ago, I mean there were some problems, but I didn't think nothing of it, 'cuz it didn't act up... now its bad.

I am having the same problem, where my shift seems to be in park, but slips into neutral or reverse. I have to "slam" like stated in another post, just to make sure it is in park, but then also have to put the E-brake on(this is because, I was getting out once, and the car started rolling, and luckily I was able to jump in and slam on brake.) There's times also, where I will shift into reverse and I'm stuck in neutral, same if i go into Drive. Can I be having the same troubles as the other two?

Also, if I could maybe get some help on another problem... There are a lot of times while I am driving, that my car will sputter... like its having troubles moving forward, and during this it fights to gain speed(this is worse, when I got to make a turn into traffic or get on a main road!) I noticed a clunking sound also while it does this, and to me is seems like its fighting to shift into another gear... This is hard to explain really... but maybe you will understand. I am no good with cars, but I hope I can get some help. I also just replaced oil filter, and fuel filter, put new oil in. Checked Tranny Fluid and it looks alright. I also used some Fuel-Injector Cleaner.

Thank you.
Djandreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:05 PM   #12
olopezm
AF Enthusiast

Hi Andreau welcome to the forum!,

First of all I would advise you to use the E-brake at all times instead of putting the weight of the car on the transmission; this is not a good idea as it might cause long term damage.

If the shifting lever wobbles all the time and is hard to move, it is very likely that the Torx bolts holding the lever to the linkage are loose and need to be retightened. You need to take a look under the dashboard (remove the kick panel) while moving the lever or ask someone to do it. You will see where the problem is very easily. As stated before I think the Torx bit size is T10 or T15. Just thighten the 2 bolts and you should be good to go.

About the other problem I'm pretty sure the EGR channels are clogged. It is a common problem with 91-95 4.6L engines.

Take a look at THIS LINK

Also pay attention to a rubber tee connection the PCV valve (on top of the passenger side valve cover) to the back of the throttle body. This is another common problem on 91 to 94 and some early 95 models.

Oscar.