Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Car Modeling Share your passion for car modeling here! Includes sub-forum for "in progress" and "completed" vehicles.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-19-2006, 09:38 AM   #16
labandabonnot
AF Enthusiast

Re: Aston Martin DBR-9 (1:24) by Renaissance - Kit Review

I just hope Rallyraider will buy one, build it this year, and win the next AFMOTY with it! lol
At least, the overall quality of the kit seems pretty good (as I'm actualy looking at it on my shelf), and the build will surely provide the usual resin kit pleasure: flash sanding, fitting, photo-etch and vacuform cutting, etc...
So, for me it's ok!
But if another manufacturer proves me he can do better, I'd be happy to buy him (another) one! lol I just mean: I can't understand how someone can create such a kit starting from nothing, and without using computer help: it's just too amazing for me, so I really can't criticise. I'll just try to do my best on this one.
And I hope some skillfull builders will show us how good this kit may be!
Old 02-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #17
Vric
AF Fanatic

Send a message via ICQ to Vric Send a message via MSN to Vric Send a message via Yahoo to Vric

Don't get me wrong, I have some Renaissance kit too and I'm very pleased with the quality (the Porsche in my sign is a Renaissance product). But those body measurement problem is just too much for a 160$ kit. I will have to wait to see it completed, but I don't think I will pay 160$ for this one with those problems.
Vric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #18
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vric
Don't get me wrong, I have some Renaissance kit too and I'm very pleased with the quality (the Porsche in my sign is a Renaissance product). But those body measurement problem is just too much for a 160$ kit. I will have to wait to see it completed, but I don't think I will pay 160$ for this one with those problems.

... exactly what I think, however I have the kit and will wait for the first built kit with corrected mistakes
Old 02-19-2006, 04:40 PM   #19
Samurai75007
AF Enthusiast

wow, not good out of the box...
Samurai75007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 12:20 AM   #20
geronimo77
AutoWeek Magazine Vendor

Send a message via MSN to geronimo77 Send a message via Skype™ to geronimo77

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportscars24
Hi,Micha

Yes there is a other Manufacture of the Aston Martin DBR9 in scale 1/24.

Spark Models will bring this out next month.The car is build up,but the quality look perfect.

Regards Roger
How do you know that the quality will be perfect? But it is a diecast not a model!!
geronimo77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 03:21 AM   #21
ED59
AF Newbie

Hello all...

Just come back from Retromobile show...

Please note that Spark will only release built-up models, no kits.

And Yes, there are some mistakes. as usual from mine, lol. Perfection doesn't exist, but if someone could do better, he just have to do it...
ED59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 04:42 AM   #22
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

I want one of these and I will for sure get one of these (when I can afford it ).

I hear you Micha on what you are saying but as an Aston hungry fan and, above all, a modeler not aspiring to your level of skill, I can't be anything else but happy it's now available. I just hope that I will have the opprotunity to follow your build thread first though beofore I start on it !

Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!?

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:37 AM   #23
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by klutz_100
I want one of these and I will for sure get one of these (when I can afford it ).

I hear you Micha on what you are saying but as an Aston hungry fan and, above all, a modeler not aspiring to your level of skill, I can't be anything else but happy it's now available. I just hope that I will have the opprotunity to follow your build thread first though beofore I start on it !

Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!?

Hi Steve,

yeah, lots of modelers are hungry for this Aston Martin, but I guess I will finish lots of models before I start this "body-correcting project". It is not just correcting the body, you need new side windows when lifting the roof, probably new rear window, the cage must be lifted to reach under the roof, etc, etc....

(BTW: what do you mean with: "Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!? " )
Old 02-20-2006, 06:00 AM   #24
klutz_100
AF Fanatic

Send a message via Skype™ to klutz_100

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportracer02
(BTW: what do you mean with: "Now, what about that PP transkit!?!?!? " )
Sorry Micha, I wasn't very clear with that - it was meant for ED59
I am waiting on the PIkes Peak transkit almost as long as for the AM

"I have a plan so cunning, you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel" - Edmund Blackadder
klutz_100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 02:03 PM   #25
ED59
AF Newbie

Quote:
A very important thing is the roof: I calculated, that it is ca. 2,5 mm too narrow, further it „falls down“ to its rear right side (looking from front to rear)
Hmmm... where did you get information from?

Quote:
The top of the left and right front wheel wells/fenders don´t have the same hight,

Interestin' way to do... I have never use this to measure heights, luckily.

Quote:
from the Naca inlet to the outside of the rear fenders the is more than 1 mm difference between left and right side,
Right; I just forget to modify fender width on RH...

Quote:
the nose seems not to be peaked enough,

the rear wheel wells appear not equal on left and right side.

The fender in front of the doors should be vertikal. The left side tends to the middle of the car,

the area at the end of the front wheel wells (where the side skirt starts) should be corrected too. It appears too flat.The rear fenders around the Naca should be higher, also the wheel weels to get a good stance in relation to the front wheels.The side skirts in the direction backwards to the rear wheel wells should be reworked, the opening in the rear skirt over the diffusor appears too small.

The lower part of the rear fender (black ares) is too staight , they must fall under the car.
Your opinion. Not mine. By the way, I'm making a model not to get it exactly correct, but to get a feeling of the real thing. I'm not counting rivets, nor need the last millimeter.

And if you modify, you could destroy the balance of the model as it's now, so have to modify the whole thing.

If you can do it better, let me know or show to me, I could do some things...

Quote:
There is no hint what colour to use for the body or how to mix it ……….
What better than the right (works) one? I could give my mix, that will not be good for TS or enamels users...
Old 02-20-2006, 03:18 PM   #26
puffyrs
AF Regular

Be careful not to criticise the manufacturers of this model. If they read feed back that indicates to them that people are not going to buy their models, they may decided not to manufacturer them anymore. At the end of the day, we want these rare models that only about 100 are made off as opposed to only being able to buy the plastic models which are made in their thousands. Yes, it may seem that it is alot to pay for a model that you still have to do work too. But ask yourself, what kind of models do we want. We want these and should encourge the manufacturers to carry on producing them so we have choice.
puffyrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2006, 05:30 PM   #27
sportracer02
AF Enthusiast

Hi ED59,

nice to hear from you more than just the short answer from 10.21 AM

Reading your mail gives me the impression that you live the easy (French) way, and I think that is ok, good for someones mind

In my collection there are several Renaissance transkits, and I think they are great, otherwise I did not buy them. For that reason I ordered the Aston without seeing it before.

I build models, but I also know how to build a model starting with raw materials.
So I know that the measures of a model are NOT just a 24th of the real car, some lines have to be changed that the model looks correct.
I know that some details on pictures can be seen/built in different ways and I know that for these reasons there will NEVER be a perfect model .

You made a long awaited model and nobody would criticise some small mistakes, because this way of modeling is eyeball-engeneering, yes -you and I, we know that by experience (you more, I less ).

You mentioned several times, you are not a rivet counter. You don´t see some of the things I would correct, if I built the model, that is absolutely ok for me (-> eyeball-engeneering....)

However I – and probably some other modelers - expect at least a symetrical body, but I see different sizes on left and right side without measuring (the ruler is just to make the differences visible).

My information conerning the roof is measuring and calculating first class photos from different angels to get the hight of the side windows .

You agree that you forget to correct some things and this fact makes me , because this could be avoided.

I think it is not YOUR style, just to say: "hey, I made this kit, if you don´t like it, make it better" because on the other side I see you admitting mistakes in your thread and you made really good trans/kits in the past.

So, hey, next time send me a body when finished, four eyes see more than two
Old 02-23-2006, 03:31 AM   #28
ED59
AF Newbie

Hi,

Quote:
My information conerning the roof is measuring and calculating first class photos from different angels to get the hight of the side windows .
So difference comes from your opinion/calculation...

Quote:
You agree that you forget to correct some things and this fact makes me , because this could be avoided.
Yep; but I was in hurry, not only because of Retromobile show, but also because of a fellow German guy asking for body for slot racing project... and I know that, when in hurry, mistakes always happen, especially if you're spotted by Murphy's Laws.

Quote:
I think it is not YOUR style, just to say: "hey, I made this kit, if you don´t like it, make it better" because on the other side I see you admitting mistakes in your thread and you made really good trans/kits in the past.

So, hey, next time send me a body when finished, four eyes see more than two
Some people here saw the model, no one told me about these. So why not? but I can't send the prototype (pattern), maybe you'll have to come?

Etienne
Old 02-23-2006, 04:51 AM   #29
sjelic
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via Yahoo to sjelic

this is why I don't like boards, it always turns out wrong. Micha made a nice review pointing out the flaws (from his point of view) and I may or may not accept them. At least I am kind of person that always need to confirm everything by my self (that is why I have many scares ). I folowed the build up on Mautomobile from the start and I truly admire it (more then the product itself), personaly I will probably buy this kit (because of the previous sentence ).
The thing that is wrong in this thread (like I said "the board thing") is that poeple likely say yes or no, I mean Mick build fantastic models, made so much on some of his projects, but he clearly sais no to this kit (I mean that he didn't think no but maybe just like me) and all of the suden lot more tell they will not buy (which is wrong) and on the other hand French guys are angry (I can understand that fully) but this only couses more and more tension and of course Etienne writes some things that he normaly wouldn't (I am not telling that for sure but I think so).
So from normal review we have highly tensioned argue and if Micha and Etienne were in the same room when Micha checked the kit they would probably agree on most of the things and Micha would start another great progress thread.

SCALEMAKERS

MK Grunf modelling club Croatia
sjelic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 09:56 AM   #30
MickSz
AF Regular

I did voice my concerns but I don't think I said "no".

On the contrary, I ordered one 3 days ago and I'm looking forward to getting my hands on it

I am much more concerned with the overall "look" of a car and not measuring it down to the last millimeter. I'm certain my ultra builtup GT40 has many glaring errors, if you measured it with a ruler, but thats not why I model a specific car. It's the essense of the car that matters.

Mick Sz.
MickSz is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling