Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 04:13 PM   #1
GardensRNice
AF Newbie

Pop Noise When Turning

I recently replaced my Front Lower Control Arm and Ball Joint Stabilizer/Sway Bar End Link and Inner and Outer Tie Rod Ends. As soon as I replaced those my 1999 Windstar began making a loud "POP" noise when I turn. It happens whether I turn left or right. It is not a continuous noise, it only happens once in a 90 degree turn. If I do a figure 8 and continue the turn it will make a PoP a 2nd time. It's quite loud and I can hear it from a distance. It's just a single "Pop" noise. Any idea what could be causing this? Thanks!
GardensRNice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 07:29 AM   #2
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Re: Pop Noise When Turning

Man, I wish I knew ... as I have the same thing going on. I have looked underneath while wife oscillated the steering wheel ... never seems to happen then. I figure it will get bad enough that I can find it someday.

My current guess is the strut bearing mount on top of the RH strut. The front struts are not that old, but perhaps the bearing failed early. Anyways, just yesterday I picked up a replacement bearing from O'Reilly's. Yet to put it in. Stay tuned!
12Ounce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 01:55 PM   #3
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Since you replaced several front suspension components, I'd start by checking that all the bolts are properly tight.

A couple that seem likely are: frame to control arm bolt, strut to knuckle bolt, pinch bolt, and stabilizer link bolts.

Also, with the lower control arms, the pinch bolt that tightens the steering knuckle tight to the ball joint pin must be able to squeeze the gap down without any interference in the gap. I once had this problem where the gap was damaged keeping the pinch bolt from closing the steering knuckle down on the ball joint pin, and it seemed to cause a "pop" when turning, starting, and stopping.

It seems like it is something that is stable, until the lateral forces of a turn are seen.
tomj76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tomj76 For This Useful Post:
GardensRNice (10-30-2019)
Old 01-31-2019, 05:15 PM   #4
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

One of my front end noises turned out to be a "close call". This happened a while back. Suddenly my Winnies front end had some steering looseness .. it was weird as occasionally the steering wheel would have an fixed offset of approx 20 degrees, and then this offset would disappear. But never would the steering feel as tight as it should. I inspected several times, and when I finally saw the problem I thought "how did I miss this?".

The rear cross member of the subframe supports the steering rack, and there are bent metal supports at each end that support the sway bar bearings. In my case the left end of this crossmember, several inches of weld, had broken. The left end of the rack and sway bar were still tied together ... but both together loose from the subframe. Occasionally the loose end would hand-up /stick about 1/2" inch out of location (this caused the offset). Dangerous! If the other end, now under some added stress, had broken ... well, who knows?

Mind you, this on a vehicle that is totally free from corrosion and rust.
The Following User Says Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
GardensRNice (10-30-2019)
Old 02-06-2019, 03:11 AM   #5
azharj
AF Regular

Hi! It could be the problem which I had and tackled as in my post http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul....php?t=1059167
The same I did on the driver side also and but this time I simply placed the one cm. ring above the mount.
azharj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 11:40 AM   #6
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

The strut mount spacers are a good idea (if you can even find them now).

I had one that was tough to track down; turned out to be the subframe bolts weren't fully tightened due to lack of threads (hard to tell at first because they weren't noticeably loose.) A couple of shim-washers later, they're tight and the nasty thunk went away completely.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scubacat For This Useful Post:
12Ounce (02-11-2019)
Old 02-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #7
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I already have the spacers on top ... now will try the sub frame support bolt washers.
Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 AM   #8
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

I've done some more work and more searching... looking for noise and resistance to turning. And some progress made.

I jacked up the front end and removed the wheels and disconnected the outer tie rod ends. Turning the steering wheel now offered no resistance ... nothing wrong with rack obviously. I was surprised to find I could easily turn the RH steering hub by hand whether a jack compressed the strut or not ... so nothing wrong with upper bearing mount (this was really a surprise ... I had already bought a replacement bearing. Oh, well!). The LH was similar except for the brake backing was bent in such a fashion that if rubbed against lower control arm. This problem corrected by removing damaged potion of backing plate.

While accessible, I replaced the rear engine mount ... sure enough, the old one was broken. Good move!

The Winnie now drives a bit better, but the noise during turning is now more predictable. I checked the sub frame support bolts per Scubacat's suggestion. Bolts are OK, but I realize these isolators probably have over 300K miles on them .... so I've ordered new ones (F68Z5C148AA and AB)...$250 with taxes and shipping. Arrives next week. Stay tuned!
Old 03-03-2019, 02:01 PM   #9
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

Getting close .... very close!

Before those expensive Ford parts arrive, I thought I might try a bit of gerry-rigging to see if the problem could be identified for sure and perhaps do a bit of correction. I made some rubber washers from gasket material (6"x6"x1/8"...Lowe's #PP25547) ... approx 3 1/2" OD, 2 1/2" ID. I installed one at each sub frame corner under the sub frame ... to offset compaction/distortion that had occurred in the original rubber parts. The LH rear corner was extra worn, so it got an extra washer above the sub frame.

Much improved! The front end is tighter and quieter than it has been for years ... and I have to have things just so to hear the faintest noise now. I probably should have installed two washers on the LH front corner. But this faint noise may be somewhere else entirely ... its so small I doubt if I will ever find it ...or care too.

I'll just put those new parts away for some later date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 12Ounce For This Useful Post:
GardensRNice (10-30-2019), tomj76 (03-06-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 10:07 AM   #10
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

FINALLY!

After installing the new upper and lower sub frame bushings, and going over every suspension fastener again with the torque wrench, the front end of my Winnie feels tight and makes no mystery noises. It can be difficult getting 100 foot lbs while lying on back, but using a wrench extender ... I was able to do it.

...now to work on the EVAP system!
Old 04-18-2019, 08:30 AM   #11
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

Did you happen to replace the strut bar bushings as well (shown as #4 in the link below)
https://oem.alpics.info/pics/FORD201...G001603903.gif

I haven't been able to break that nut free on my vehicle!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:02 PM   #12
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

No, my '99 uses the wishbone styled lower control arm, so the strut rod doesn't exist.
Old 04-23-2019, 11:51 AM   #13
tomj76
AF Enthusiast

OK. I tried to get it off once, but the rod wanted to turn with the nut, even with some significant attempts to hold it. I gave up trying rather than causing more problems...
Old 04-23-2019, 03:14 PM   #14
12Ounce
AF Fanatic

If new parts are available, including new nuts, you might consider cutting/grinding the old rod in two.
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 PM   #15
scubacat
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomj76 View Post
OK. I tried to get it off once, but the rod wanted to turn with the nut, even with some significant attempts to hold it. I gave up trying rather than causing more problems...
You might try holding it with an 18" or 24" pipe wrench wedged against the frame or the ground. You can get some cheap ones that are decent for occasional use like this on amazon or harbor freight.
scubacat is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
1999 , noise , pop , turning , windstar
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > Windstar