Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > Lancer
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 04-03-2002, 11:32 AM   #1
wired
AF Newbie

Question How to bypass stock immobiliser?

Does anyone know how to bypass or disable the stock immobiliser in a '97 Lancer CE? I'm thinking of installing a remote starter myself, and obviously the stock immobiliser would be a problem.

I've figured out the wiring for the ignition keyswitch, but it would be useless if the immobiliser is still active.

I found the plug that connects to the coil around the keyhole, the only thing I measured was a (iirc) 450kHz signal that is active only when the ignition is turned to ON. The engine will crank but won't start if the right key isn't inserted... it controls the fuel pump I guess?

Hope someone can help me.. I'm not trying to steal a car for those cynics out there.

thanks!
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 06:11 PM   #2
phillbo
AF Newbie

Re: How to bypass stock immobiliser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wired
Does anyone know how to bypass or disable the stock immobiliser in a '97 Lancer CE? I'm thinking of installing a remote starter myself, and obviously the stock immobiliser would be a problem.

I've figured out the wiring for the ignition keyswitch, but it would be useless if the immobiliser is still active.

I found the plug that connects to the coil around the keyhole, the only thing I measured was a (iirc) 450kHz signal that is active only when the ignition is turned to ON. The engine will crank but won't start if the right key isn't inserted... it controls the fuel pump I guess?

Hope someone can help me.. I'm not trying to steal a car for those cynics out there.

thanks!
did you find ount how to do this cause its happened to me and i would like a solution .... if you know that is ... thank you
phillbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 02:26 AM   #3
wired
AF Newbie

Re: Re: How to bypass stock immobiliser?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillbo
did you find ount how to do this cause its happened to me and i would like a solution .... if you know that is ... thank you
The quick and dirty way - cable-tie a spare key near the immobilizer transponder's coil, under the steering column's plastic shell of course. Your insurance co probably wouldn't like it though.. although i suppose if you were putting another immobilizer system in it might be ok.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:57 PM   #4
barrenjoey
AF Newbie

Hey Wired,

I am facing the same problem.

Where exactly did you place the original key as I cant seem to find a spot where it will kick the engine over
barrenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 12:15 AM   #5
wired
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrenjoey View Post
Hey Wired,

I am facing the same problem.

Where exactly did you place the original key as I cant seem to find a spot where it will kick the engine over
Wow, that was over ten years ago!

Hmm.. I can't remember the *exact* spot, but from memory, the transponder coil is inside a white ring that goes around the keyhole. I cable-tied the head of the key to the white ring, which worked.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:59 AM   #6
barrenjoey
AF Newbie

Thanks Wired

Found the spot and it starts fine

I snapped the original key and got a key cut for peanuts but it wouldnt kick the engine over as the keys are chipped. I called Mitsubishi but what they quoted was absurd. You just saved me $160

Much appreciated
barrenjoey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 01:00 AM   #7
wired
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrenjoey View Post
Thanks Wired

Found the spot and it starts fine

I snapped the original key and got a key cut for peanuts but it wouldnt kick the engine over as the keys are chipped. I called Mitsubishi but what they quoted was absurd. You just saved me $160

Much appreciated
No worries, glad to know it helped someone even ten years later!