Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 02:50 PM   #196
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six
Re: max speed in ur car?

yeah, my friend has a lifted 4x4 Hilux with a 5.9 in it. the handling is atrocious.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:29 PM   #197
vinnym86
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to vinnym86

what's interesting is aerodynamics on a truck are better when the gate is up then down. It makes perfect sense after you know that air traveling over the truck starts a convection flow inside the truck bed. This flow of "trapped" air acts as a smooth roofline down to the end of the truck. Opening the gate will release the trapped air and create more handling problems.
So if you see someone with their gate open with nothing in their bed, tell 'em to shut it.
The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious... He to whom this emotion is a stranger, who can no longer pause to wonder and stand to rapt in awe, is as good as dead: his eyes are closed.
Old 11-02-2006, 03:33 PM   #198
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2.2 Straight six
here it's 10%. on the basis of many speedos being 10% out.

so you can get away with 77 in a 70 zone.
i always thought it was something like 10% + 4mph or it might've been 10% +3 mph AND that was based on margin of error on equipement on boths sides.
i.e errors in the calibration of radar gun AND errors in the calibration of speedometers.

hmm, perhaps that's where the 10% in what I was told comes from.

.....and once again, a car related thread is started in possibly the wrong forum.
moving.

Read them.

Currently in the process of re-hosting my photos.
If any go missing, drop me a PM.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:14 PM   #199
BP2K2Max
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to BP2K2Max

one of the motorcycle forums i go to has a moderator who's also a cop. he says that he's told to give a buffer of 10 mph in any zone under 55mph and a 12-15 mph buffer for 55 + zones. but that's only relevant here in the states.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #200
crayzayjay
CFA

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
i always thought it was something like 10% + 4mph or it might've been 10% +3 mph AND that was based on margin of error on equipement on boths sides.
i.e errors in the calibration of radar gun AND errors in the calibration of speedometers.

hmm, perhaps that's where the 10% in what I was told comes from.

.....and once again, a car related thread is started in possibly the wrong forum.
moving.
I've also heard that 10% + 3mph is safe. 1mph above that and you're flashed. Who knows...

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #201
00accord44
High on Potenuse

Send a message via AIM to 00accord44 Send a message via MSN to 00accord44 Send a message via Yahoo to 00accord44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BP2K2Max
one of the motorcycle forums i go to has a moderator who's also a cop. he says that he's told to give a buffer of 10 mph in any zone under 55mph and a 12-15 mph buffer for 55 + zones. but that's only relevant here in the states.

It really depends on the cop and how he's feeling that day. Maybe NY cops are told to give a buffer, but I got flagged by a cop n the burbs near chicago for 8 over, 53 in a 45. But that particular town is known for its petty police force

Old 11-02-2006, 06:36 PM   #202
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

Quote:
Originally Posted by crayzayjay
I've also heard that 10% + 3mph is safe. 1mph above that and you're flashed. Who knows...
one thing i do remember is that this was only applicable to mobile police units and their portable equipment. I also recall that one of the things you should ask for if you really are innocent or only just over the limit, is to request a calibration report on whatever it was that recorded your speed because of this, to better ascertain the margin of error in the readings.
This does probably mean that it doesn't apply to the big yellow boxes though.

on the subject of camera flashing.
on the way home on the A12 last week, I was having a bit of a giggle with a bmw driver and was going mayb e 60-65mph. No big deal on a regular dual carriageway with a 50mph limit.
Thing is, it was quite apparent that the other driver didn't know where the speed cameras were and at one instance, I saw the first flash of the camera as he went through the speed trap and I am positive that the second flash occured as I was in the speed trap.
Wonder if I'll hear anything from them about that one?

Read them.

Old 11-02-2006, 06:49 PM   #203
crayzayjay
CFA

If you're only in one shot, you should be fine. Maybe it wasn't even loaded. Apparently 2/3 aren't. Fingers crossed for you mate.

This is not 'Nam, this is AF. There are rules.
Old 11-02-2006, 06:53 PM   #204
drunken monkey
Razor Sharp Twit

well, thing is, they need two clear shots to work out the speed.
if the camera was legit and the images gets processed, they'd get one shot of a BMW 3 in one shot and magically, a Yaris in the second shot.....

Read them.

Old 11-02-2006, 07:06 PM   #205
daddy0_4
AF Newbie

63 Bonneville Convertible, 389, 4bbl, 4spd Auto. Speedo Maxed At 130, Pegged Speedo
Old 11-02-2006, 08:55 PM   #206
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

update: i went 112 in my accord today on my way back from university.
got pissed because these people changed their plans, originally we were supposed to go to Hull (just across the river from my city, about 15 minutes away) where the drinking age is 18 (its 18 in 3 out of 10 canadian provinces) but instead they decided they'd go to somewhere in ottawa (my city) but i don't have a fake ID so i couldn't go. i wasted 30 minutes to university, 30 minutes back, an hour i spent waiting around not being able to get ahold of anyone, and a shitload of gas. i could have gone faster but there was a turn coming up. i suspect my car tops out at 120mph.

Mr. T speaks only when necessary. His main form of communication is folding his arms and slowly shaking his head. And regardless of the situation, he is always understood.

On the A-team, Face , Haniabal, and Murdoch were all masters of disguise. Mr T didn't have to wear a disguise. The bad guys didn't recognize him out of fear.
Old 11-03-2006, 03:39 AM   #207
2.2 Straight six
That thing got a Hemi?

Send a message via AIM to 2.2 Straight six Send a message via MSN to 2.2 Straight six

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunken monkey
well, thing is, they need two clear shots to work out the speed.
if the camera was legit and the images gets processed, they'd get one shot of a BMW 3 in one shot and magically, a Yaris in the second shot.....
they'll see a picture with a yaris doing 65 and think the camera's broken...
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #208
jveik
AF Enthusiast

i suspect that there are a lot of stories like this one here in this thread...

i did about 350 mile an hour one time and then right afterward i went to this huge party and banged like 80 chicks that were NFL cheerleaders and then i drove off a flatbed towtruck and got airborne like the dukes of hazard and came crashing down and didnt even have a scratch!!!!

-translation... went 80 before car ran out of power, got drunk and probably hit on a bunch of fat chicks, then ran into the back of a flatbed truck as i left thier crappy apartment and totalled the car that was only worth 500 bucks anyways...
Old 11-03-2006, 02:42 PM   #209
bjboertje
AF Enthusiast

haha
and about the ~80hp civic (was that the car?) at 2200lbs. my aspire was 63hp stock, but mine had issues so more like 55hp, and 2000lbs going 95 down a hill shaking like crazy.
btw, i was following another aspire
Rainbow CMX 265 front stage
Stock 5X7 rear fill
Hifonics BX1505D
TC-5200
Old 11-04-2006, 02:58 PM   #210
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by beef_bourito
i could have gone faster but there was a turn coming up. i suspect my car tops out at 120mph.
You have a 92? I had a 90 Accord EX Auto w/ I/H/E and topped it out at 128mph a few times. It is possible there may have been a slight downhill slope, but I don't recall. But I did it at least 2 or 3 times.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General