Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > General Discussion
General Discussion All general comments or enquiries go here. Website, club oriented, or general Skyline banter.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-31-2003, 12:14 AM   #1
91VR-4boy
AF Newbie

licensing and unlicensed skyline

I've read all the posts (all of which basically say the same crap anyway) about importing. This question hasn't been answered yet (even in the sticky announcements by the mods).

I'm in the military, so i can get my skyline shipped from japan free of charge... I know i can import it as an unlicensed vehicle (not legalised, only for show/track), but i have to drive it off on a trailor.

My question is can i ship it home (to mississippi), leave it there for a year or so (getting stationed overseas again), then when i return from my overseas assignment, get it legalised. And if so, would i have to ship it all the way back to motorex. I'm just not sure if i could get it licensed after i import it as unlicensed.

Also, where do i take it to get it tested for emissions/safety? Will any certified testing place have the ability to make it legal by passing it or what? (i mean, i'm sure they aren't going to crash my skyline and then tell me, yea, it woulda passed too).

I hope this topic aint as redundant as those others, i don't think so, but i'm not a mod........thanks in advance.
91VR-4boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 03:05 AM   #2
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

This is a really good question.

What ever you do make sure you have all your documents with the car! All Dereg papers, shipping docs, ownership docs, etc.

I would contact the DMV on this, or Department of Transportation actually. Get it in writing what ever the call is.

also if you could please let us know the outcome of what they say. It would be greatly appreciated.
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2003, 07:10 AM   #3
sami
AF Enthusiast

What I've read about this topic is that once you bring it into the country as a show or race vehicle (not as easy that you would think), you cannot legalize it for road use anymore.

As for the legalization process, you would have to take it to Motorex.
Old 07-31-2003, 01:50 PM   #4
Gtr2.7L
AF Enthusiast

Re: licensing and unlicensed skyline

Quote:
Originally posted by 91VR-4boy
I've read all the posts (all of which basically say the same crap anyway) about importing. This question hasn't been answered yet (even in the sticky announcements by the mods).

I'm in the military, so i can get my skyline shipped from japan free of charge... I know i can import it as an unlicensed vehicle (not legalised, only for show/track), but i have to drive it off on a trailor.

My question is can i ship it home (to mississippi), leave it there for a year or so (getting stationed overseas again), then when i return from my overseas assignment, get it legalised. And if so, would i have to ship it all the way back to motorex. I'm just not sure if i could get it licensed after i import it as unlicensed.

Also, where do i take it to get it tested for emissions/safety? Will any certified testing place have the ability to make it legal by passing it or what? (i mean, i'm sure they aren't going to crash my skyline and then tell me, yea, it woulda passed too).

I hope this topic aint as redundant as those others, i don't think so, but i'm not a mod........thanks in advance.
Your best bet is to have the gov't ship it straight to San Pedro and Motorex. The military will NOT ship it to Mississippi on their bill......they will ship it only to the CLOSEST port of Entry.....that would be San Pedro. I went through this myself.

The military also WILL NOT ship the car unless you have a CONTRACT with an RI. It's in the legalease.....read it.

It is going to take AT LEAST 6-9 months to legalize the car AFTER it arrives in the U.S. You might as well ship it directly, so the car is ready when you get back. I'm sure Hiro and crew will be happy to ship it to your home of record (and then you can charge the military up to $75 bucks a month to store it)......

Once you import the car under SHOW/RACE auspices...it cannot be then converted for road use.
Gtr2.7L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2003, 09:38 AM   #5
luvmyGTR-33Vspec
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to luvmyGTR-33Vspec
i heard of a man in NY that was trying to get a 1yr bond to take his skyline out of port in FL. He wanted to use it as a show car but that is new info to me that once under show car you cant legalize it. Whose rich enough to start a motorex like company and charge 500 dollars???
luvmyGTR-33Vspec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2003, 01:36 AM   #6
racingbreed20
AF Enthusiast

Give it time guys. Motorex will not have exclusive rights to legalizing Skylines for much longer.....and then other companies will jump in prices go down etc.
racingbreed20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
Gtr2.7L
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by racingbreed20
Give it time guys. Motorex will not have exclusive rights to legalizing Skylines for much longer.....and then other companies will jump in prices go down etc.
Unfortunately, you don't realise how LITTLE profit Motorex actually makes on each car, the volume of cars the emissions lab can handle, or the actual demand of the car itself.

Importing GTR's is a SIDE business for Motorex....it isn't their main source of revenue.......
Old 08-13-2003, 05:22 PM   #8
CivicLeader
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to CivicLeader Send a message via Yahoo to CivicLeader
What's up guys....
I don't know much about importing SL's but I've been talking with omegasky and found out that he used to work for a company in Cali. importing Skylines...Not sure if it was Motorex or not but he might be able to shed some light on this topic...shoot him a PM!
CL
CivicLeader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 12:00 PM   #9
RazorGTR
Skyline Man

Omega worked for Omega Skylines, which was and so far is one of the dodgiest companies I have ever read about!
Never confuse kindess with weakness.
AF user guidelines, Please remember to abide by them
RazorGTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2003, 03:28 PM   #10
omegasky
AF Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by RazorGTR
which was and so far is one of the dodgiest companies I have ever read about!
well you're entitled to your opinion aren't you, i told everyone to ask me about omega(i think) but so far no one has aked me about it, i quit from omega so you know the rest, you can PM me if you wanna know what omega is really about but i don't know what car's they might hae in stock LOL, not affitialiated with them anymore, sorry .
omegasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 02:43 PM   #11
r32gtrnus
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegasky
well you're entitled to your opinion aren't you, i told everyone to ask me about omega(i think) but so far no one has aked me about it, i quit from omega so you know the rest, you can PM me if you wanna know what omega is really about but i don't know what car's they might hae in stock LOL, not affitialiated with them anymore, sorry .
please tell me about what omega is about, i really want to know the difference between omega and mtoorex and rb motoring, so please tell me!!!
r32gtrnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:31 PM   #12
DC5R76
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to DC5R76
I dont like omega, the website looks fake. the guy didn't even put time into it.
DC5R76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2003, 03:57 PM   #13
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA
r32gtrnus,

Do not listen to that guy(omega), he is an idiot. Plain and simple. To tell you the truth I doubt he even worked for them. Everyone in this forum will back me up on what I am saying.(The part that he is an idiot )

Point blank, OmegaSkylines will rip you off. If you want a legal GTR you have to go through MotoRex. If you want more info, read the post in this forum, please.

Its a real pain to say the same thing over and over again. Read the posts that are here.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2003, 03:26 AM   #14
scourge2u
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtr2.7L
Unfortunately, you don't realise how LITTLE profit Motorex actually makes on each car, the volume of cars the emissions lab can handle, or the actual demand of the car itself.
If that were actually true, then why did Morris do so much to get MotoRex approved and now is working on getting RB Motoring approved for the Skyline and Lancer EVOs? From what I understand about MotoRex and Hiro, they are not very efficient or businesslike - something that even customers have reported. A more acute businessman can make a go of this...that or Morris is completely stupid. I vote for he former.
scourge2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 02:06 PM   #15
Gtr2.7L
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: licensing and unlicensed skyline

Quote:
Originally Posted by scourge2u
If that were actually true, then why did Morris do so much to get MotoRex approved and now is working on getting RB Motoring approved for the Skyline and Lancer EVOs? From what I understand about MotoRex and Hiro, they are not very efficient or businesslike - something that even customers have reported. A more acute businessman can make a go of this...that or Morris is completely stupid. I vote for he former.

That goes to prove my point. Motorex doesn't make ridiculous profit like so many on this site seem to believe.

I know Sean and I know Hiro....and I've spent time with both discussing this particular issue.

The point is, don't think if the RBmotoring deal go through that you'll see GTR's coming in for 5k a pop.