Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues
General Issues General legal automotive problem discussions
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
alexmurphy
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to alexmurphy
Would i need car insurance in this situation?

Well, what i want to do in the near future is to buy a used Nissan 240sx and fix it up. I dont want to get one that's ready to drive on the streets, I want one that needs work before it can be driven. And since I don't really have a steady income in my life, it might be 4 or 5 months between me getting different parts to get the car to work. this means the car may very well be in my garage or in storage at my dads work (he co-owns a construction company, with plenty of storage space) for 2 years before it is so much as driven on the road.

I am 17, and insurance for a car like this, I would assume, isn't the cheapest thing. Now, I do own another car right now (1999 audi a4, runs good, no problems, etc). That means 1) im not planning on even using it as my daily driver when it is fixed and 2) i believe my insurance company has a multi-car discount. that also means that if something goes wrong with the audi, its first in line to have money thrown at it. My point is, last thing i would need is to pay another 5 or 600 bucks every 6 months just to have another car. i would think that if im not actually driving it on the roads, i dont need insurance on it.

I live in missouri, around St louis if it makes a difference.

so, do i need insurance?
alexmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 12:50 PM   #2
Herk_FE
AF Newbie

Re: Would i need car insurance in this situation?

Legally until the car is registered or driven you are not required to have insurance. If you plan to operate the vehicle even if driving it around the block you are required to have insurance on it.

Basically your only risk is that if stolen you are out whatever you invested.
Old 08-26-2010, 12:55 PM   #3
alexmurphy
AF Newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to alexmurphy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk_FE View Post
Legally until the car is registered or driven you are not required to have insurance. If you plan to operate the vehicle even if driving it around the block you are required to have insurance on it.

Basically your only risk is that if stolen you are out whatever you invested.
im not worried about it being stolen, i dont live in a bad area or anything....and anyone who wants to steal it will most likely have to tow it away, past both of my parents cars parked on the driveway (well, suburbans).

what do you mean if the car is registered? you mean if i have the title for it and everything?
alexmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #4
Herk_FE
AF Newbie

When you go to register the vehicle at the DMV like get the plates most states require proof of insurance.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:38 AM   #5
Jsaw
AF Newbie

It really comes down to only needing insurance when you drive on the road. If the car is parked/stored it does not require insurance. If it was a car you were making payments on, that's a different story. Any car you do not legally own requires a minimum amount of insurance. If its yours and you are not worried about theft or natural disaster/fire. Then you don't have to pay insurance (providing you are not driving it on the road).

-J
Jsaw is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General > Legal Issues > General Issues