Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
eippermx
AF Regular

Question 1990 Amigo 2.3ltr will not stay running

I've got a 1990 Amigo, 2.3ltr, manual transmission that will not stay running.
It's a Cali-Amigo. I replaced the engine with a yard motor after it miserably failed smog. The rings were shot in it.
It sat for a few years in my yard and now am trying to resurrect the little guy. Here is what's been so far:
1. The fuel pump was replaced. When it turns over it shoots out plenty of fuel.
2. Inspected all the fuses. - Good
3. Got it to fire up this morning by priming through the carb it ran for a few minutes then ran on it's own for a bit. I observed the choke plate open up as it warmed up. Saw the coolant gauge react as it warmed up. Funny though, the fuel level indicator shows no fuel in the tank although I put 5 gallons of gas with a can of Berryman's Chemtool in it yesterday.
It stopped by itself. After that it would only barely start for a few secs with the carb flooded.
4. Made sure the knock sensor, MAP, carb and the rest of the sensor electrical connections were made.
5. Has a new battery in it. Connections are tight.
6. Disconnected the exhaust pipe to the manifold to check if I had a plugged cat. No Go..Still has the same symptom. Re-connected the pipe.

Notes:
a) This dude does NOT have an electric fuel pump.
b) No water in the oil; white or black or blue smoke coming out the tailpipe when it ran this morning
c) Don't buy the Chilton's manual for this vehicle. It's Tango Uniform. Not even remotely helpful to logically troubleshoot a problem.
d) All fluids are topped off.
e) Top of the cylinder head cover is grounded to the firewall, the firewall has a ground to the engine block.

Well, there you go....Any ideas or a direction to troubleshoot towards?

Love my Pontiacs!

'04 GP GT1
'02 Bonneville
'98 GTP - 2 dr
'98 GTP - 4 dr
'99 GP "Flaming Tomato" GT
eippermx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
eippermx
AF Regular

Smile Re: 1990 Amigo 2.3ltr will not stay running

Solved it on my own. It was the carbuetor. Easy carb to work on with out having to remove it. First, removed the bracket in front of it. Then removed the 3 screws that holds the "frame" on the front plate of the carb. Used a knife edge to gently pop off the bowl plate. I found sludge in the float bowl and jets. Used carb cleaner in a can to clean the gunk out, and stuck the nozzle in the jets and orfices to clean them out. Put it back together and Voil'a! The truck is running like a champ.

Love my Pontiacs!

'04 GP GT1
'02 Bonneville
'98 GTP - 2 dr
'98 GTP - 4 dr
'99 GP "Flaming Tomato" GT

Last edited by eippermx; 05-03-2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: Crappy grammar
eippermx is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Isuzu > Amigo