Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:48 PM   #1
GTRkid
AF Newbie

Nissan Skylines True Specs

Hi, I am a new member, and I am a true Skyline Lover, anyway,
I just wanted to clear things up on the Nissan Skyline R34 GTR,
many say the Skyline only has 276hp, BUT thats not true, the nissan skyline is required in japan to have that spec, thats why nissan put a governor and a restrictor plate on the gtr, the governor restricts the to speed from 183mph to just 155mph, if you dont believe this look at any japanese supercar, any one that goes over 155 mph legaly in japan has to have a governor, and the restrictor plate reduces air flow which lowers hp from 328hp to, you guesed it 276hp, and it increases the acceleration from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds to 5.07 seconds, also many people say 276 hp is too low for twin turbos, but the twin turbos are adjustable, the stock is just 5PSI for the skyline R34 but is adjustable up to 25PSI, now I dont know how many people know this, but I have a friend with a skyline, and actually you can get 600hp by just adjusting the stock parts, and with some, okay alot of money the stock skyline engine can be upgraded to a max of 1600hp, know thats amazing, now the skyline was built to be modified, two more things, most people think the skyline is a sport compact, but the size and weight(3676lbs) make it legaly a sedan, the last thing is I read something on this site (skyline Vs Supra) and they said the supra had better stock specs but the supra stock specs, with the governor and restrictor plate removed is 310hp, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and a top speed of 178mph and its TWIN thats right not a single turbo as someone else said can only be adjusted up to 20PSI, so thankyou for reading I hope you enjoyed the truth.
GTRkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:39 AM   #2
HellBent
AF Regular

Re: Nissan Skylines True Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRkid
many say the Skyline only has 276hp, BUT thats not true, the nissan skyline is required in japan to have that spec, thats why nissan put a governor and a restrictor plate on the gtr, the governor restricts the to speed from 183mph to just 155mph, if you dont believe this look at any japanese supercar, any one that goes over 155 mph legaly in japan has to have a governor, and the restrictor plate reduces air flow which lowers hp from 328hp to, you guesed it 276hp, and it increases the acceleration from 0-60 in 4.6 seconds to 5.07 seconds, also many people say 276 hp is too low for twin turbos, but the twin turbos are adjustable, the stock is just 5PSI for the skyline R34 but is adjustable up to 25PSI, now I dont know how many people know this, but I have a friend with a skyline, and actually you can get 600hp by just adjusting the stock parts, and with some, okay alot of money the stock skyline engine can be upgraded to a max of 1600hp, know thats amazing, now the skyline was built to be modified, two more things, most people think the skyline is a sport compact, but the size and weight(3676lbs) make it legaly a sedan, the last thing is I read something on this site (skyline Vs Supra) and they said the supra had better stock specs but the supra stock specs, with the governor and restrictor plate removed is 310hp, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, and a top speed of 178mph and its TWIN thats right not a single turbo as someone else said can only be adjusted up to 20PSI, so thankyou for reading I hope you enjoyed the truth.
Take a deep breath and step back from the keyboard kid.

First there is no govenor or restrictor plate on the GTR. The top speed is actually electronically limited to 200 kph (120 mph). Second, the GTR pulls about 300 hp from the factory (depending on who you believe), which is actually pretty impressive for a factory twin turbo 2.6 Liter engine designed in the late 1980s. (With all the emissions restrictions we are barely doing better than that today.) Third, you have been seriously misled if you think 600 hp can be made by merely adjusting stock parts.

The skyline GTR is a great car, but it is just one of many...

-AL
Old 10-01-2006, 07:38 PM   #3
GTRkid
AF Newbie

lol, you really need to get smarter, a Skyline does have a restrictor plate, and the governor does bring the top speed down to 155mph, its top speed is 183, and you do know I am talking about an 02 right, anyway, the skyline on 2 Fast 2 Furious was left completly stock when drove it in the movie, except, they removed the governor, and removed the for wheel drive and steering system which increased the 0-60 time, and lowered the top speed, and they still got the 02 Skyline up to 167mph you idiot.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
my99cavy
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to my99cavy Send a message via MSN to my99cavy

I was looking at this and was wondering where you were getting your information from??

Because I know that '99 GTR R34

Engine - Inline-6, TT
Power - 276bhp @ 6800
Torque - 216 @ 4400
156 cu in

Weight - 3672
0-62mph - 5.2
Top speed - 155

*EDIT* after further internet surfing I found this

Quote:
Similar to earlier versions, the RB26DETT drives the GT-R forward with an official 280hp at 6800rpm (restricted by the Japanese government). But as the UK GT-R Club found out, 328hp at 6,400rpm seem to be the real output. Modified camshafts for improved valve timing and a new stainless steel exhaust system with reduced back pressure make the engine more flexible thanks to a better torque curve and higher peak-output of 400Nm (289lb-ft) at 4400rpm. These changes have also made this RB26DETT smoother and quieter in comparison to earlier versions.
Additionally, turbo spool-up time is enhanced by the new smaller twin ceramic turbochargers which feature variable boost timing, work with a maximum pressure of 0.4bar and use twin ball-bearings to minimize friction. Even though, as known from most turbo engines, there is quite some lag until the blowers really start going about their job at about 3500rpm. But since the redline is still at an impressive 8000rpm, there remain plenty of revs to work with.
http://www.jbskyline.net/R34/GTR/index2.php
my99cavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 04:44 PM   #5
HellBent
AF Regular

Quote:
lol, you really need to get smarter, a Skyline does have a restrictor plate, and the governor does bring the top speed down to 155mph, its top speed is 183, and you do know I am talking about an 02 right, anyway, the skyline on 2 Fast 2 Furious was left completly stock when drove it in the movie, except, they removed the governor, and removed the for wheel drive and steering system which increased the 0-60 time, and lowered the top speed, and they still got the 02 Skyline up to 167mph you idiot.
I'll stand by the fact that there is no restrictor plate and no govenor. Restrictor plates are for race cars and the engine computer (ECU) electronically limits the speed.

Since you are smarter feel free to pull up a copy of the service manual in question and show me the restrictor plate and govenor. I presume you are basing your assumptions on reading the service manual or actually working on an RB26DETT?

-AL
Old 10-12-2006, 09:56 PM   #6
GTRkid
AF Newbie

Sorry for the lake of responses for the last week and a half, and yes I have worked on a skyline, anyway, I will get back to you on the website tommorow
morning since its getting late I cant remember and cant find it,
Old 10-15-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
Real GTR
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Real GTR

Quote:

You are so missinformed:

First of Stock 34 turbos will on hit around at most 1.5 bar ish at most but they won't last long which would put you in the 400 range. Stock turbo aren't capable of making 600hp.

Second there is quite a bit of modification need to get above the 400~450 mark.
Just to educate you a little the stock injectors are 444cc which will get you 400hp to the ground. If that dosent get you the stock MAF's limit you to around 450 to the wheels.

Third the stock oil pump can't support that much hp.

Last the stock clutch wouldn't hold that much.

P.S. you'd also need cams too stock ones cant make 600

Sorry but this is the truth and the facts.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:17 AM   #8
cubes
AF Newbie

GTRKid,

Stop taking the piss out of everyone. :P
cubes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:50 AM   #9
naztech
AF Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real GTR

You are so missinformed:

First of Stock 34 turbos will on hit around at most 1.5 bar ish at most but they won't last long which would put you in the 400 range. Stock turbo aren't capable of making 600hp.

Second there is quite a bit of modification need to get above the 400~450 mark.
Just to educate you a little the stock injectors are 444cc which will get you 400hp to the ground. If that dosent get you the stock MAF's limit you to around 450 to the wheels.

Third the stock oil pump can't support that much hp.

Last the stock clutch wouldn't hold that much.

P.S. you'd also need cams too stock ones cant make 600

Sorry but this is the truth and the facts.

Hi,

you r right , the the stock turbo will not put the gtr in 600hp even in the flywheel.
but, i do belive it can do 1.5 bar but not for long time.
i have gtr34 v-spec and befor switching to single t04z, i was doing 1.5 bar on the stock twins,and the A/R ratio was 11.4 and was no knocking at all.
and the injector d/c was in 65%

i used water injection, wide band o2,700cc injector,264cams on that leve of boost.

it depends on the tuner.
naztech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 09:32 AM   #10
MetalHeadZaid
AF Enthusiast

i hate the skyline section. ever soo much.

S13
Silvia Q's - R.I.P.
R32 GTST Type M Sedan - Sold
R32 GTST Type M Coupe - Sold
S14 Silvia K's - daily
R32 GTS4 - BETTER BE READY!!!
MetalHeadZaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:51 PM   #11
reme786
AF Newbie

Hi all
just intoduce myself as im new to this forum, you will normally find me on www.gtr.co.uk
just to help and pass comment from experience on GTR`s.
Ok GTRkid, please take note dont believe everything what you read and hear in the school yard.
The standard jap spec car is limited to 112mph, but you can delimit them.
The only GTR that was limited to 155mph was the uk spec R33 and R34. this was done by Nissan Middlehurst along with other upgrades. Such as engine oil cooler. transfer box cooler,gearbox oil cooler and diff oil cooler.
All GTR models produced over the 280bhp with R34 producing most at a approx 330bhp ish at the flywheel. Standard boost is 0.8bar. Owners dont normally go above 1bar as the cermaic exhaust blades are only bonded on and they fall off and normally get eated by the engine. Causing alot of internal damage, if you are lucky it just get shot out of the exhaust. Even with uprated steel internal the turbos are to small to get anything over 450bhp. You can get them run more boost but you have machine the housing ie make them bigger.
Also would have disagree with the AFM they are good to upto 500bhp as the old man has a Uk spec R33 GTR with the Nissan Uk approved Middlehurst 480bhp conversion kit fitted. Spec goes like this
HKS 680cc injectors
HKS GTSS turbos
HKS 1.2mm headgasket
Apexi airfilters
HKS 264 cams
HKS vernier cam wheels
HKS downpipes
Sports cat
HKS silent high power
middlehurst 480 ECU
Standard AFM
Nismo uprated clutch and pressure plate

this is producing a safe 480bhp. To create a safe 600bhp you would have go damn sight further.
Here are a couple of pics of my car and my father on my wedding day
http://www.gtr.co.uk/forum/upload/56...-pictures.html
reme786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 02:04 PM   #12
reme786
AF Newbie

PS dont shoot me down in flames, Im not the worlds expert but do know a bit about GTR`s. Also remember everyone has a opinion even if its the wrong one LOL
reme786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2006, 10:58 PM   #13
GTRkid
AF Newbie

ok, sorry for the long wait, I fried my computer but have finnaly got a new one, and also sorry for shooting you down. ok I said you could get 600 hp in a GTR with stock parts, it does require modification of the stock parts.
Also just to make it clear, I mean stock performance parts, but may require stronger parts so it doesn't blow your engine, and last but not least, I am pretty sure that the info is from a article in Modified Mag, and I know skylines have Restirictor plates becuase I know someone who took the restrictor plate out of their GTR not too long ago. Oh also I saw that article with the Nissan Skyline having 328hp also.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #14
HellBent
AF Regular

Quote:
ok I said you could get 600 hp in a GTR with stock parts, it does require modification of the stock parts.

Also just to make it clear, I mean stock performance parts, but may require stronger parts so it doesn't blow your engine....
Kind of like a "genuine" fake Rolex...????

Quote:
, and last but not least, I am pretty sure that the info is from a article in Modified Mag, and I know skylines have Restirictor plates becuase I know someone who took the restrictor plate out of their GTR not too long ago. Oh also I saw that article with the Nissan Skyline having 328hp also.
Evidently you are saying that everything you know about Skylines you read in a magazine or heard from a friend of a friend. That's not a bad start, but you should refrain from posting about technical aspects of the Skyline until after you have wrenched on one or at least read the service manual.

-AL

R.I.F. (reading is fundemental)
Old 12-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #15
SkylineUSA
AF Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to SkylineUSA

No Restirictor plates on any of the GTRs, or GTSts I have worked on.

R32 GTR w/351w .020 forged, 8.9:1, PTK T76, Turbosmart 40 BC & 45 WG, Tial 40 BV, AFR 205s 310/245, 228/228 550/550 114 Hydro, 1.7rr, Isky RLs, 4" HKS exhaust, ARC 30x16x4 IC, 8 point cage, C2 gauges, 2 step, C4 3200 stall w/ R Manual & Hurst Ratchet shifter, 17" Panasport G7s, CSU 750 & bonnet, Vic Jr intake, 3.63 gears, Corbeau Carrera seats, Custom wide body, Bomex side skirts and rear 1/4 caps, Tommy Kaira bumper.
SkylineUSA is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance