Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance
Performance Discussion about performance modifications and issues.
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 05-06-2004, 09:58 PM   #1
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to xsmooth69x
the sleeper maxima to skyline engine swap

ok i pimped out my maxima but i have no proformece so its all show all go but i have the bread $ so i was thinking about swapen a skyline engin a rwd not awd into my fwd 97 maxima but i understand the the drive tran is going to be custom to acomadate the skyline engine. ill hopefully find some sponsers for this project since i have a couple of connections but this would be the sweetest sleeper but i just want the general opion of u all. sorry about the spelling
Old 05-06-2004, 10:05 PM   #2
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

Re: the sleeper maxima to skyline engine swap

all show no go*
Old 05-06-2004, 11:26 PM   #3
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

You don't need another motor. Just get a turbo kit for your VQ30DE. Look on Maxima.org for a member named 'Turbo97SE,' aka Nigel Cheung. He is also on Turbomaxima.com. Nigel has dynoed 267 fwhp @ 4 psi and 370 fwhp @ 11 psi using stock engine internals and transmission.

The VQ motor has iron cylinder liners as well, so it should stand up to even more boost, once the compression ratio is lowered(10:1 stock).
Old 05-07-2004, 05:42 AM   #4
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

hmm so u think dont even try the skyline engine just get a turbo but the think is my car is 100k+ miles and im thinking about swaping out the motor anyways so i thought skyline would be nice. i really want to do this so getting a new vq30de and getting a turbo would be the easy way out no affence and everyone turbos there stock engine i was wondering if i would possibly do something different and drop the skyline engine in. if so dose anyone know a good engine?

*vquick nice quote is that japanese? i think u spelled it wrong but it resembles "kakkoii" which means cool
Old 05-07-2004, 12:17 PM   #5
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: the sleeper maxima to skyline engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsmooth69x
hmm so u think dont even try the skyline engine just get a turbo but the think is my car is 100k+ miles and im thinking about swaping out the motor anyways so i thought skyline would be nice.
Wow, you really want to do this the hard way, don't you? If you're worried about having a high-mileage motor, get another VQ. YOU can either get a newer VQ30, or go for something else, like...

A VQ35DE block. I've heard of them going for as little as $400. Get one of those, and you can build the motor up. Lower the compression, destroke the motor(use your VQ30's crank to bring the motor to a revvier 3.2L), and add stronger rods if you can find them.

Then you can still add a turbo to the VQ35 once you get it installed. There are VQ35-powered Altimas making lots of power on mild boost and stock internals, and with a built motor, you'll be able to see at least 500hp, possibly at the wheels, too.

You may also be able to use the 6-speed from the 02-up Maxima, as well.

Using a VQ35DE will still be plenty different, and still cost a pretty good amount of money, since you seem so eager to spend it.hehe

The other problem with using an RB is that you'll run into emissions issues...that is, once you fit the motor into the engine bay.

Quote:
*vquick nice quote is that japanese? i think u spelled it wrong but it resembles "kakkoii" which means cool
The quote is from a racing story I've written. The word is "kouki," which roughly means "later" in Japanese, referring to the body style of a car. For example, your '97 Maxima and my '99 would be kouki 4th gen Maximas, since a refresh of the bodystyle was done in '97. The '95 and '96 Maximas would be called the "zenki," or "earlier," since they were the first version. For the few cars that have been around long enough, there is also the term "chuki," which means something like "middle"...I think.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:50 PM   #6
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

hmm 500hp sounds good i think i might take ur advise and do that but i was hopping to get sponser ships for the project and im not sure if i could since its not really a huge radical change but... hmm i donno do u know anything about sponsor ships? i want to hear what some one less thinks that not my good friends about the idea.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:52 PM   #7
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

ow ya vquick u think i can do this with like 6g i donno im just throwing out a # but how much do u think it will cost because it was a couple of nisomo guys who i was talking about with the skyline swap and i was just wondering how much off the top of ur head it would cost?
Old 05-07-2004, 11:13 PM   #8
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: the sleeper maxima to skyline engine swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by xsmooth69x
hmm 500hp sounds good i think i might take ur advise and do that but i was hopping to get sponser ships for the project and im not sure if i could since its not really a huge radical change but... hmm i donno do u know anything about sponsor ships? i want to hear what some one less thinks that not my good friends about the idea.
Tell your potential sponsors that you are putting in a 350Z motor, and turbocharging it. If you put it that way, they might go for it.

An engine swap and turbocharging are pretty radical changes.hehe

With 6 grand...you might be able to have a stock VQ35DE, and possibly have enough to turbocharge it, too. Depends on how much the turbo system will cost. There's a couple out there, and I'm not sure how much they cost. Supercharging is another option, as well. The supercharger is a bit over $3k, if I remember right. Unless you've got a serious hookup on labor + possibly parts, six grand would probably not be enough for you to add stronger internals, too.

I can tell you right away, a Skyline motor, especially the RB26 from the GT-R, will take up a big portion of that $6k. You'll have a motor, some money left over for a tranny, if you can find one that matches up, and little or no money at all left to figure out how to put the drivetrain into your Max. Even if you do get the swap done, the motor will still be stock. The VQ35, or even a VQ30 turbo would be making more power than the stock RB, and for less money.
Old 05-08-2004, 01:46 PM   #9
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

awsome awsome thanks alot vquick the 350z motor sounds like a way better deal ill definatly try and work things out and see if it all goes smoothly if anyone else would like to give there opion or idea this thread is still open for debat. the more ideas the better thanks everyone
Old 05-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #10
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

Oh, and just so you know, you'd be telling potential sponsors about getting a '350Z motor' just be cause it sounds good and different to them.

If you're talking about swapping an 'Altima motor' or a 'Maxima motor,' which is what you really should be getting(so you have a fwd tranny), it might not appeal to them as much.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #11
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

ya since the 350z engine is rear wheel i think it would apeal to them more than a front but wouldnt i run into the same problems switching out a skyline engine?
Old 05-10-2004, 05:18 PM   #12
VQuick
AF Enthusiast

I'm not saying that you actually put a 350Z motor in your Max.

Get the fwd VQ35DE, and tell them that it's the same type of engine as a 350Z. It really is, just in a slightly lower state of tune, that's all.
Old 06-10-2004, 04:02 PM   #13
xsmooth69x
AF Newbie

flylwsi i never said i did jackass i was just askin a very vague kinda out there question im sorry if i didnt comply to ur question asking needs and thanks for the advise adam

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Nissan > Skyline | Skyline GT-R | Stagea | Laurel > Performance