Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Honda > Accord/TSX/Accord Hybrid
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-01-2003, 04:25 PM   #1
geofstan
AF Newbie

Question Fast Idle 1988 Honda Accord LX

I am hoping someone can tell me how to adjust my fast idle (if this is possible) or what to check for faults.
geofstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 07:49 PM   #2
20HondAccord02
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to 20HondAccord02
What exactly is the car doing? Is is surging? Is it stalling?

2005 Acura RSX Type-S
1983 Honda Civic 1300FE 5 speed Hatchback
1970 Dodge Challenger 440 R/T convertible(under construction)
20HondAccord02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2003, 08:54 PM   #3
geofstan
AF Newbie

Re: Fast Idle 1988 Honda Accord LX

The car is running fine, its when i start the engine from cold the engine idles at around 1000 rev as if the fast idle isn't working properly or needs adjusting.As you can tell i am a beginner to all this.
Old 11-04-2003, 01:40 PM   #4
20HondAccord02
AF Newbie

Has the car always done this? How old is the car, how long have you had it and how many miles?

2005 Acura RSX Type-S
Old 11-04-2003, 02:11 PM   #5
geofstan
AF Newbie

It worked fine until i changed the pcv valve (which had nothing left inside it) and corrected the timing. it's an 1988 i've had it 2 months and 225,000 km
Old 11-04-2003, 03:14 PM   #6
wagsaccordsir
AF Enthusiast

Try unplugging the Battery for a few minutes then reconnect. Start your car (Do NOT press the gas pedal to rev the engine) Let your car naturally idle for about 5-7 minutes once you hear it idle down to around 500-700 RPM's turn it off and wait a few minutes and try it again.

If it stays at a constant 1000 RPMS you may want to adjust your idle and or your throttle cable. If it is just doing it when it starts up and then idles down, you may have a bad Cold Start Sensor (Located underneath the Throttle Body). You will also want to check your coolant levels to ensure that you have plenty of coolant. If it is staggering or surging up and down and up and down, you probabaly have a vaccum line undone (see the underside of your hood for directions).

Honestly most cars idle kinda high upon starting them, then when they warm up they idle down. If it goes up past 1000 RPMS then ideally you may have a potential problem..

Peace
~J

MY ACCORD ON CARDOMAIN

"CHEAP THRILLS"
I DON'T CARE HOW MANY SKY DIVES YOU'VE GOT. UNTIL YOU'VE STEPPED OUT INTO COMPLETE DARKNESS AT 850' WEARING 95LBS. OF EQUIPMENT AND 68LBS. OF PARACHUTE. YOU JUST HAVEN'T LIVED.
ARMY AIRBORNE!!!
wagsaccordsir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 11:14 AM   #7
20HondAccord02
AF Newbie

Is the car caurberated? I had an '88 Accord LX and it was. in that case, there is a fast idle valve on the carb. I dont remember if the cover is black plastic or brass but it is round with either 3 or for screws around itholdign it together. you should be abled to take that apart and there is a spring inside. I am not sure if youcan buy another one but you may cal a dealership to find out. I had this prob with mine and i had a parts car that i got the spring out of. Not sure if this will solve the prob but it helped me but my prob was actually the fact that the car didnt want to idle while in gear. From my knowledge, it will naturally reve to 900 rpm, maybe 1000 rpm for a minute before the car warms up. as long as the car idles steady at about 700 to 750 while in park or neutral and doesnt hesitate when you tap the gas pedal, it should be fine. My 02 accord idles up like that when it starts cold, as does my Integra with 220,000 miles.

2005 Acura RSX Type-S
Old 08-17-2017, 12:27 AM   #8
kris69fl
AF Newbie

For the 88 accord drivers out there. If your car is a fuel injection and the idle isn't raised up at cold the fast idle valve is not working needs to be cleaned or coolant isn't bleed out. The valve gets dirty and the orings dry up! If the car dies out on a stop almost every time the egr valve needs to be cleaned I use berryman carb cleaner just soak the bottom part not the diaphram!. also check if there is any codes the cpu in under driver seat in back do at night pull the tab and count the blinks. the at sensor is code 10. Fast idle valves are getting hard to find udjust by turning with screw driver on one side the idle. use lube so the screw driver doesn't wear the tabs, due to being dirty. these are the big key elements, besides keeping the valves adjusted. .010 to .012 on exhaust and .005- .007 intake.
kris69fl is offline   Reply With Quote