Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
WIP - Motorbikes Post topics for any "Works In Progress" motobikes projects in this sub-forum.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 08:51 PM   #1
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker
Tamiya Ducati 916

Looked at the modeling portion of this site on & off for awhile, but only just joined. I figured I would go ahead & share pictures of my latest project. Its definitely not a masterpiece like what Clay & some of the other guys put out, but so far Im happy w/ how its going. Have had quite a few problems airbrushing the Tamiya Metallics, but Im getting there.

Tamiya 1/12 Ducati 916.

Started out by taking a #77 (.018") bit in my pin vise to drill out the front & rear rotors.

Front Rotors

Rear Rotor

Frame & wheels painted, Tamiya Titanium Gold X-31

And a shot of it kinda "dry fitted" at the moment

Still have a fair bit to go. The next step is to get the engien finished up. Got quite a few parts to paint, and then I think I might try detailing the engine some.

Also trying to decide if I want to try staining the exhaust. Ive never done that, and not real sure how to go about doing it. Seen it done a few times, and seen how-to's once or twice, but dont remember right off hand how to do it.

Still trying to decide on a color for the body fairings. I dont know if I want to go w/ the standard red or not. Right now Im thinking about going w/ black, just for something different.
Adam Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:32 AM   #2
joelwideqvist
AF Enthusiast

Re: Tamiya Ducati 916

Great start and welcome to the bike section of AF.

If you are hesitating about the heat staining of the exhausts I can recommend Tamiyas' weathering boxes. They do the trick and is removable if you think you overdid it.

Best regards
Joel
Old 01-08-2008, 03:46 AM   #3
ketje
AF Enthusiast

Hello, welcome to the site.
The start looks good. Keep posting pictures.
Old 01-08-2008, 04:27 AM   #4
barhebraeus
AF Newbie

Nice start to a nice bike!
barhebraeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:21 PM   #5
Lathafummi
AF Newbie

Nice start
Old 01-20-2008, 09:45 AM   #6
Ole_L
AF Regular

Nice start... this is a great kit.
Ole_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:00 PM   #7
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Send a message via AIM to Adam Baker Send a message via MSN to Adam Baker Send a message via Yahoo to Adam Baker

Finally be able to get some progress made on this one. My schedule between school & work has been so insane that very little modeling has been done. But this week is spring break, so I only have to worry about work. Im hoping to have this one done by the end of next weekend, but we'll see.

Im painting the rotors right now, so the next step will be mounting the rear tire, and painting & assembling the front forks. Hopefully that'll be done in the next couple of days. Since the forks are 5 different colors, including the chrome portion that will be painted w/ Alclad, its gonna take awhile to get done.

Ive decided to paint the body panels black, and Im also planning on using Tamiya TS71 to tint the windscreen, and Im concidering lightly tinting the headlights as well, so that it blends into the body, but it wouldnt be as dark as the windscreen.

Ive also decided to not heat stain the exhaust on this particular bike. Ive noticed that most Ducati's have a gold tinted exhaust, and from what pictures Ive been able to find that show the exhaust, it doesnt seem to show much staining, so Im gonna leave that for the next bike that I plan on doing once this one is done.

On to the pics

Old 03-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #8
utzelu
AF Newbie

Really nice work so far. I'm currently building the same kit.

http://scalemodelsadventures.blogspot.com
utzelu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 11:25 AM   #9
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Pulling this one back up from way down in the list.

Its been about 2 1/2 years since Ive worked on this one, and Ive decided its time to get it finished. It had to get boxed up b/c of a couple of moves, and now I have a chance to get it back out.

Dont have many updates from where it was at in the last pictures I posted in 2008. Prior to packing it up for the last time, I did get the rear tire mounted permanently and a couple other bit done.

Here are a couple shots I took the other night, after pulling it out to see where I was at w/ the build. Unfortunately the pictures arent real great. I really need to get some kind of photobooth put back together, to get better pictures.

Ive spent hte last couple of days going through the parts that are left, cleaning any mold seams off, and then organizing them according ot what colors are left to be painted. I was surprised to find how few colors there are that have to be painted. I found that most parts only have to be painted either aluminum, or semi gloss black, w/ a couple pieces being other colors. Im hoping that this evening, now that the parts are sorted out and cleaned up, that I can get it all painted.

The ultimate goal is to have this one finished in the next couple of weeks.
Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 PM   #10
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Just wanted to make a small update.

This evening I got the exhaust cans covered in Scale Motorsports 1/24 carbon fiber decals.

First time ever using them, and it is definitely something that will take quite a bit of practice to get better on.

I had to double up all of hte decals, b/c the first layers on the large pieces, pulled themselves apart in a few places, as they dried. Once dry, I put a second layer down on each section, and that seemed to do the trick.

I used quite a bit of solvaset, and a hair dryer, to get the decals to snuggle down w/o any wrinkles.

Here's how it looked after the first layer started pulling apart.

And how they look now.

Tomorrow evening I will start putting down Future on them, to get a nice thick clear coat on them, typical of the carbon fiber exhaust cans that Ive seen.

Im thinking now that I need to get a couple Yoshimura decals, and the exhaust would be all set.
Old 08-01-2010, 04:31 PM   #11
Adam Baker
AF Regular

Time for an update.

Getting extremely close. Only a few bits left that need to be painted. Have to paint the front rotors, and finish painting the body fairings & the stand. Front rotors are currently on it, so that I could make sure that the front forks were aligned correctly when they were glued together.

This could possibly be the last update prior to finally completing this build.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Automotive Art > Car Modeling > WIP - Motorbikes