Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Chevrolet > Corvette
Corvette
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
smithd4200
AF Newbie

Send a message via AIM to smithd4200
Value of a 71 Stingray?

My father recently left me his 1971 stingray which i would like to sell now. The problem is I honestly have no idea of the value and no little about older cars in general. I'm hoping to get some honest info here instead of the mechanics and collectors I talk to that are obviously trying to screw me since I made the mistake of admitting I know nothing. The car is in perfect condition inside and out. Black interior/exterior with a black convertible top. It has the original 350 with 135k miles on it and runs very well. The transmission is the 3spd auto. NADA shows the value ranging from low retail 15k, avg retail 26k, high retail 45k. I realize I'm not going to get anywhere near the high range from looking at cars.com and ebay, but the 2 guys I spoke to locally both said 5k. Any advice on what I should expect or try to get, or the best way to go about selling it would be great.

Thanks

Last edited by smithd4200; 02-21-2006 at 09:06 PM.
smithd4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2006, 04:06 PM   #2
red70vet
AF Newbie

Re: Value of a 71 Stingray?

There is no real answer to your question based on the information that you give.

That certainly looks like a fine car. The guys who offered you $5K are probably trying to rip you off. It is very difficult to put a value on a car based upon 2 photos. You really can only put a range in prices. The paint looks good in a picture taken from 15' away but other than that who knows?

Is it an original drivetrain(engine& trans)?
Is it a numbers matching car? Dated components have correct date and part numbers.
How original is it?
How does it run?
Do all the equipment components work?
Has the engine been modified?
What equipment does it have(PW,PB,delux interior,370hp)?
Is the paint original? Repaint-Lacquer? Urethane? Base/clear?
What is the condition of the frame and Birdcage? If rusted take the $5K and run.

That car could range in price from $10,000 to $25,000 based on the answers to these questions and the condition and originality of the components. Forget about the $45K number that is for highly desired and equipt big block cars.
Original cars are always more desireable as they attract the collector or the person who feels that the car might be an investment.
Customized cars usually only appeal to the owner because it is customized to his specs.
Cars with non original motors and transmissions(NOM) are considered driver quality and fall in the lower range based on condition and quality of the components and the installation.
red70vet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 08:12 AM   #3
Not_ Me
AF Newbie

Run as far and as you can from those two clowns. The car is in the 15k plus range easy. Hold out would be 25-28 k and not hard to get. Very nice car in the pictures and this is what I base my amount on. I may well be worth more. Good luck . OH,I'll give you 10k cash right now.
Not_ Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 09:01 AM   #4
Not_ Me
AF Newbie

I did a little reasearch on the Vett. There were only 7121 roadsters made in 71 and black was not a color option. There were no black Vetts from 70 -77. This takes away much of the value for 2 reasons. One it is not the orignial paint and could have damage under the paint work. Second it is not the orignial color nor even a color that was an option. This still looks as if it is a nice Vett but now there is doubt as to the true condition. It is still worth more than 5k unless the frame is a bucket of rust. Good luck.
Not_ Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:07 PM   #5
tom3
AF Enthusiast

Does the car have AC? Bolt on hardtop? With the high mileage and repaint the value is not what it could be with lower mileage and documentation. I'd guess no more than $10,000 to actually sell the car. You can ask any amount but to move it the price has to be realistic.
tom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:02 PM   #6
awfairey
AF Newbie

The "Old Car Price Guide" Krause Publications (800) 258-0929, gives a price of $6400 for what they call a #4 "Good" unit. This is a car that has not been restored, but is a usable driver with most of the components still on the car. Moving up to their #3 "Very Good" unit, the price jumps to $14,400 These are units with a good amateur restoration, or very complete orginial condition with all systems operational. So you can see the price on the collector market is very wide on this car. Like others have said, the car is worth more than the $5K mentioned, but certainly not the $26-45K value. If the buyer feels like they paid too much and you feel like you didn't get enough, then it is most likely a fair deal! Good luck!
awfairey is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD