Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:18 PM   #1
MR HORSEPOWER
AF Newbie

Question some kind of air leak?????

according to a vacuum gauge and some engine knock-pinging, i have an air leak at the manifold or to one of the gaskets, once the manifold is off, how much work is it to correctly idenify and fix the problem?
Old 11-09-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
UROTRSH
AF Newbie

Re: some kind of air leak?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR HORSEPOWER
according to a vacuum gauge and some engine knock-pinging, i have an air leak at the manifold or to one of the gaskets, once the manifold is off, how much work is it to correctly idenify and fix the problem?
If its the intake manifold (depending on EGR) and carb application, this is a really easy fix. Even for someone that is new to the work that is to be performed, new intake gaskets can be done in a matter of hours, (if you have no idea what you're doing), but with some experience, it can be done in about an hour.
UROTRSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 04:04 PM   #3
UROTRSH
AF Newbie

Quote:
Also- I have experience a high speed lean burn miss, due to a misfire in the distributor, and it WILL make your car pop, and ping and knock. There was a pinhole in the vacuum advance canister on the side of distributor.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:47 AM   #4
MR HORSEPOWER
AF Newbie

so what you are telling me is that it should not take a mechanic 3-4 hrs of labor to remove a manifold? if thats the case then i got some issues with my guy, who still has the car by the way. not good.

thanks
Old 11-12-2007, 10:47 AM   #5
UROTRSH
AF Newbie

Quote:
so what you are telling me is that it should not take a mechanic 3-4 hrs of labor to remove a manifold? if thats the case then i got some issues with my guy, who still has the car by the way. not good.

thanks
Dude, he's a mechanic, that's what they do... And not to mention he's going to charge you the time it took him to diagnose the problem in the vehicle... So, there is no possible way that it would EVER take a really good and experienced mechanic 3-4 hours to remove an intake manifold off of a small block chevy out of a 1973 Nova... It would take me 2 hours to remove the whole motor from that car...
Old 11-13-2007, 11:54 AM   #6
MR HORSEPOWER
AF Newbie

looks like its an internal problem, cam and lifters? looks like its gonna sit for a while since i lack the proper knowledge and $ to fix this problem. I contacted the guy i got the car from to see if i could get some info on the what he put in the motor. all the guy found from the manifold was 2 gaskets, then on freebe time he checkec the valve timing and that was all good. any tips would be nice for now my baby has to sit in the garage.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical