Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
View Poll Results: What increase did you see?
0-5% 9 28.13%
6-10% 3 9.38%
11-15% 2 6.25%
16-20% 1 3.13%
21-25% 2 6.25%
26-30% 1 3.13%
31-35% 6 18.75%
36-40% 1 3.13%
41-45% 1 3.13%
46-50% 0 0%
51-55% 1 3.13%
56-60% 0 0%
61-65% 1 3.13%
66% or higher 4 12.50%
Voters: 32. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 08-09-2005, 01:17 PM   #76
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bduff509
My '04 Blazer just went off of warranty so I thought I'd give it a shot. From new I'd been getting 19 highway & 15.8 average local driving. That's the sticker milage. I've never gotten actual advertised milage before. It's got 36,500 on it now & milage seems to be decreasing a bit. I thought I'd try a little experiment of my own before risking trashing my new car. I had read that the best mix was 3 oz./10 gal. so I tried to make a similar ratio mix on a small scale first. I only have a 50ml graduated cylinder to measure it with. Since 3oz/10gal is about 0.2% & works out to .12ml/50ml, I put about 2ml in the cyl. just to have a measurable amount. I figured if anything, having about 20 times the required amount would show damage to the pieces of old fuel line that I planned to soak in the acetone/gas mix. After a week the only change I saw was the hose was cleaner. I also soaked an o-ring in straight acetone for a week with no damage to the rubber. I don't know what type of rubber it was though. I filled the tank in the Blazer today with 169ml of acetone in 19gal of gas. I'll post my results. I don't expect to a big improvement with TBI like I would a carb but with prices like these, if I get 2-4 mpg I'll be happy. I paid $13 for the gal. of acetone. It's going to cost about $.58 per 19 gal tank. The trick is going to be keeping the right ratio in the tank to get an accurate fix on the actual gain.s
Sounds good hope it works. Everythings going good in my vehicle
Old 09-05-2005, 08:48 PM   #77
bduff509
AF Newbie

Talking

I finally got moderately accurate results. After running 3 tanks with the acetone I averaged 17.4 mpg. I let it run out for several tanks & checked it again & I only averaged 14.3 mpg. I live in the Lehigh Valley in Pa so it's hard to call it "rural" around here anymore. There's a lot of variation with the amounts of "city" as opposed to "highway" miles. Either way, a general 3 mpg increase is better than I expected. Especially now at $ 3.50/ gal. I had just convinced my son to try it in an old '79 chevy truck he's got & almost immediately it bent a couple of push rods. I don't think he believes me that it was going to happen anyway & the acetone had nothing to do with it.
Old 09-15-2005, 05:10 PM   #78
JRT
AF Newbie

You guys might want to reset the car's computer when you switch to the acetone additive so the car can adjust to the new fuel mixture. I believe this takes about 50 miles of driving or 5 on/off cycles (trips) of driving the car.

To reset the computer follow the instructions in your manual, which is usually turning the ignition key on and off by a specified pattern. Or, just disconnect the battery for 30 minutes.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:59 PM   #79
BlazerLT
AF -Advisor

Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Just got my results back.

Year: 1995
Make: Chevrolet
Model: S-10 Blazer
Engine: 4.3L CPI Vortec
Fuel: Fuel Injected 87 Octane
Driving type/style: city
Before average mileage: 13.7 MPG
After average mileage: 16.8MPG

People are flaming me hard about this in my thread I made about it and they are saying the 0.234% is going to destoy my fuel system here:

http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...d.php?t=460518

I know better though.
Old 09-28-2005, 02:05 AM   #80
tigeraid
Authorized Vendor

So I'm considering the acetone thing too... but I do like running on 87 octane. How many of you guys are doing this with 87 octane, and have you noticed problems with it?

Old 09-28-2005, 10:40 AM   #81
OverBoardProject
Banned

I'm 1 tiger, and I've never had any problems with it.

I started using it with a new motor, and a new fuel system
Old 10-02-2005, 04:23 PM   #82
mnred69
AF Newbie

I'm new to this forum but I've been using acetone in my 01 neon for about a week now and have noticed a power gain but not much of a mileage gain.

Year: 2001
Make: Plymouth
Model: Neon
Engine: 2.0 litre
Fuel: gas
Mods: none bone stock
Driving type/style:ALL FREEWAY MILES this car gets driven 200 miles a day 6 days a week.
Before average mileage: around 34
After average mileage:not sure since I had a bad spark plug wire that I just replaced. Will keep you posted.
Old 10-07-2005, 09:33 PM   #83
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

hey, welcome to the forum. I have been reading this thread for a while now and it seems pretty interesting. I've been trying to convince my dad to try it out (i don't have my own vehicle seeing as how im 17) but he's sceptical, plus he doesn't want to screw anything up because it could get expensive. anyways, this has been really useful and when i get my own car im gonna try it out.
Old 10-08-2005, 07:52 PM   #84
compliment29
AF Newbie

Re: Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen__AngeL
HAHAHA, this is so hilarious.. I love when people who think they know what they're talking about spew out their logical assumptions of things and believe that they hold the word of supremacy.. I hate it when someone uses their fancy shmancy jargon to try and sound superior in knowledge to others so that those who are listening just blindly take the information without thinking twice..

what people fail to realize is:

ACTUALIZED FIELD TESTS vs. CONCEPTUALLY-BASED HYPOTHESIS

essentially, chembrad has knowledge in chemistry and believes that off the top of his head he can determine the full relationship between acetone and petroleum which, obviously, IS NOT BASED ON EXPERIMENT, BUT RATHER HIS KNOWLEDGE OF THE TWO CHEMICALS.

on the other hand, we have all these people using acetone and when doing so it shows REAL WORLD responses (ie, PHYSICALLY APPARENT RESULTS) and somehow this guys WORD or actually THOUGHTS suddenly negate all the experimental, real-world results which have come about from numerous people??? HA!

when I put an additive in my fuel and it gives me better gas mileage, no matter what ANYONE says, I got better gas mileage and their thoughts are irrelevant to the FACTS OF REALITY.

Let us all remember that there is a distinct DIFFERENCE between someones THOUGHTS/ASSUMPTIONS and someones REAL-WORLD RESULTS..

I hate people who think they know it all.. pffft

I agree without reliable data your just another person with an opinion.
Old 11-08-2005, 11:05 AM   #85
iburnh2o
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to iburnh2o
acetone

I've been running acetone and other additives for years and have had NO problems. Recomended dose is too small to do any harm, yet it doesn't take much to make a noticeable difference. From what I've seen many of those not getting gains are simply adding too much.

The latest additive to cause a stir on the net is PIB... commonly found in 2 stroke oils.. It too can yield amazing results...

A growing thread on homebrew fuel additives can be found here:

http://fueleconomytips.com/component...viewforum/f,4/
Old 12-16-2005, 03:35 PM   #86
Wayne_MS
AF Newbie

Unhappy Re: Boost gas mileage 15-35%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chembrad
Folks, I hate to spoil the party but adding acetone cannot increase the engergy of your fuel.

Gasoline is made up of hundreds of different hydrocarbon compounds from butane all the way up to dimethyl naphthalenes.

Now those of you who were paying attention in CA when the phase 2 gasoline came in, the gas mileage on the cars experienced about a 10% decrease in fuel efficiency. Why? Because when CARB (California Air Resources Board) changed the rules on the refineries, the product that the refineries sold in CA was a shorter run distillate with decreased concentrations of the larger molecules (more energy).

So adding a low energy compound such as acetone to your tank cannot give your fuel more energy.

What it CAN do is help clean out the crud that accumulates in old engines. So perhaps what you are experiencing is acetone cleaning the engine intake ports and such which would give you better gas mileage. But a well tuned & clean engine will not see an increase in fuel economy with acetone added.
Hi, everyone!

I'm one of them scientist fellers, too. They put "physics" on that funny little piece of paper I got after running out of physics classes to take, and they kicked me out.

I just (as in "thirty minutes ago") discovered AF while looking for some information on my '05 Toyota Tundra. The increased gas mileage definitely sounds interesting, but, as always, you need to keep in the back of your mind TANSTAAFL -- "There ain't no such thing as a free lunch!" I'm with CHEMBRAD in being a little suspicious that something this simple would have any noticeable effect.

I've usually found after checking into claims like this that they really don't pan out. For example, all the oil additives that claim to save fuel, prevent you from getting any wear on your engine, etc. haven't stood up to formal scientific testing. If an additive was REALLY that good, the oil companies would be delighted to add it to their oil and charge a really big premium price for the service Similarly, if acetone had such a big effect on gas mileage, there would be an additional "Regular-Unleaded-WithSuperDuperAcetone" pump at every gas station. At $5 a gallon.

This said, the little I've read on this subject so far does sound interesting, and it's certainly possible that something is happening. I have an old friend who is a chemical engineer with Exxon whose primary job is trying to come up with new concoctions for improved gasoline. When I can dig out his email address, I'll definitely run this by him for comment.

(One of his pet peeves was how people who are horrified at the thought of getting any chemicals on their skin will cheerfully stick their hands into a pail of gasoline. There are dozens of really nasty compounds in gasoline that are much more dangerous to expose yourself to than a lot of common and/or exotic chemicals.)

One of the guidelines in science that helps us weed out the things that aren't worth pursuing is the saying "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." For example, if you tell me you saw two pigeons in your backyard, I would probably take your word for it. If you told me that you saw two elephants in your backyard, I would want some photos, other witness accounts, plaster casts of the elephants' footprints, a newspaper clipping about two elephants escaping from the town zoo, etc. I would want to examine the photos very closely, hopefully from the originals and their negatives, for any evidence of tampering and/or digital manipulation.

I hope no one mistakes cautiousness for aloofness and pretentiousness. Scientists have just seen so many claims that evaporated under proper scrutiny that they can't get too enthusiatic to expend their limited time and funds to investigate something that sounds like yet another wild goose chase.

If I can hear back from my chemical engineer friend, I'll post his comments here. I trust him to give me the truth no matter what position Exxon might have on the subject.

Wayne
Old 12-16-2005, 03:59 PM   #87
beef_bourito
AF Enthusiast

Welcome to AF. It's good that you scrutinise what you hear, me, I'm going to try acetone when i get a car, i think it's great that people are getting great increases but ill be convinced when i try it myself.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:20 PM   #88
OverBoardProject
Banned

Welcome to AF there Wayne.

I'd be very intrested in your friends research when he has the time to do it.

I would imagine theat the results would all be off the record

If his research proves what we've been finding it would be nice if the fuel companies would look into his findings and consider a formula change using the acetone.

But as always there is no simple formula to finding the perfect mixture. They tell us in their research that every car is different. 1 car might benifit the most from 1 ounce per 10 gallons, while the next car might benifit the most from 3 ounces per 10 gallons. According to this same research it looks to me like too much acetone in some cars can actually reduce the economy.

What's the solution? I don't know. Possibly them modifing the pumps with a little button to press with different ratio's.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 PM   #89
biglogonafrogbig
AF Enthusiast

Well I don't know what to say other than this is still working great for me.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:45 PM   #90
OverBoardProject
Banned

I forgot to report, I was sceptical about using it instead of gas line anitfreeze. But I still tried it in -10F weather and I never had any problems. I can't possibly know if my fuel lines would have frozen without it though.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Cars in General