Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 10:21 AM   #1
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

VR-4 or 240sx?

Hey...i still cant decide if i want to get a 240sx on (more like 5 months) or get a VR-4 in a year when i'm 16? I know i'll get the VR-4 sometime and i know i'll get the 240sx sometime. I just dont know what one i want to get first. If i get the 240 in 5 months then i wont have the money to buy the VR-4 for like...about 2 years from now. Or when i'm 17. What should i do.

BTW...if i get the 240 i'm going to get the SR20DET engine swap and S15 headlight conversion.

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Mods: K&N FIPK, HKS EVC IV, HKS boost gauge, testpipe, EGR by-passed.

Sound: Profile Chrome and Gold amplifier (200W) and (2) 10" Red Cone Sony Xplod Subs.

Coming soon: Stillen downpipe, DN rear pre-cat, Defi boost and EGT gauge's with control unit on A-pillar.

youngmanvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 12:10 PM   #2
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Man, I hope you dont take this the wrong way but you are deffenetly thinking like a 16 year old. I can tell you honestly anyone will recomend the VR-4 here. I you ask the 240 people it'll be a different story. but If you invest into a SR20DET and then all the extra mods to the 240 you will not come up with the money for a VR-4 any time soon! think of how much of a money pit a car is. I know you wont just stop there, you will want more power and more bling so all your income will go into the 240. and do the comparrison. 200hp vs 320hp, RWD vs. AWD, four cylinder vs. six. single turbo vs. twin turbo. 2000cc vs. 3000cc. I just think you are buying into the whole "Drift" scene cause your young and impressionable. I dont mean to sound like a prick, I wish someone would of knocked some sense into me when I was 16!
Musashi3000GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
HKmitsubishiman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to HKmitsubishiman Send a message via AIM to HKmitsubishiman
Re: VR-4 or 240sx?

When I was 16, I really liked the 240sx with SR20 swap. But now, nah ah, 3000gt fo sho. Just think about it on the streets, you drive a drift car, that doesnt have a lot of hp, and all you can do with the car is drifting, when it comes to speed, there's many other cars got more hp. But dude, on the street, how can you drift? 1. You will burn your tires, and you will have to change them 3 times a week? 2. You don't want to get caught doing wreckless driving (drifting), they can arrest you. 3. Drifting won't help with the speed when you turn, it's much slower than turning with full grip. So man, I prefer you get a VR4, and rock the streets. You can drive fast and beat anyone anytime you want.
HKmitsubishiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #4
YogsVR4
Funding the welfare state

Send a message via AIM to YogsVR4
I've always been of the opinion that 16 year olds shouldn't drive high powered sports cars off the bat. Get a few years of experience first and get a feel for how much whatever car you are driving costs to opperate. Then double or tripple it for a sports car.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 PM   #5
Stratocaster5292
AF Enthusiast

I say go for the 3000gt because Im 17 and have friends who want a 240sx and swap in the sr20det. I have a friend who bought a 240sx for his first car with the full intention of getting the engine swap, but what happened was that little things would break on it, or he would want new rims or a short shift kit, and before you know it hes run out of money and doesnt have the car he intended to have. With the 3000gt your getting a very powerful and capable car right from the start and you cant fall into that pitfall my friend did. This is especially true because your young like me and my friends.
Stratocaster5292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 11:29 PM   #6
azn3000GTRacer
AF Regular

lol no kidding, my first car was a 1991 cavalier RS the v-6 blew up so my dad replaced it with a 2.2 carbuerated 4 cylinder lol......Then my dad got a new truck and i upgraded to a 95 rodeo.....Then Finally after 3 years of saving in high school at the end of my junior year my dad let me buy a black VR4 hell yea it's worth if if you wait. Plus if u get it now all ur parents will be doin is bitching and complaining about insurance lol that's what mine do all the time.
Old 07-09-2004, 12:29 AM   #7
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

Well if i got the 240 i wouldn't get the VR-4 for like i dont know....3 or so years later.

If you go to the 240sx forum you will see i started a thread just like this one. If you read it (my 2nd post on 2nd page) you will find out i was planing on getting the VR-4 when i'm 16 anyways but i just wanted to make sure that the VR-4 is what i wanted first. Something that high hp'ed if you all know what i'm sayin. I just didn't want to make a mistake on it. Witch i dont think i can with getting a VR-4.

Right now (as you can tell by my sig) i have a 95 3000GT base with the 6G72 engine (DOHC) and we have one Ford 350 and one 450 that i drive for farm work alot plus my sister has a 96 Boneville SSEI (supercharged) and i have driven that my share of times. So i think i can take the VR-4 as long as i have good self control (witch i happen to have because i'm so scared of cops and making my insurance go up because of speeding but that doesn't mean i dont sometimes). So i'm FORSURE i'm going to get the VR-4 in a year when i'm 16. I talk to my dad about it for 2 hours tonight and just talking to him about it i'm like i said before FORSURE i'm going to get the VR-4. Keep on with the input anybit helps.

I'm going up to SD for 3 days so i may dont reply for sometime just to let you know. Thanks guy.

BTW...you guys are so much nicer and understanding then thos 240 people. Thanks again!

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Sound: Profile Chrome and Gold amplifier (200W) and (2) 10" Red Cone Sony Xplod Subs.

Coming soon: Stillen downpipe, DN rear pre-cat, Defi boost and EGT gauge's with control unit on A-pillar.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:36 AM   #8
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

Well the thing we are trying to tell you is that the 240 will suck up all your money for as long as you own it. So if you plan on having it for 3 years or so and then getting the VR-4, we dont think it will work cause for those three years you will have to run maintanance and mods and all sort of expenses and then three years later the money will not be as much as you think it will be. In any case I think a car should make you happy. Never drive something you dont like and never feel ashamed of what you drive. So get which ever car will make you the happiest! and we wont treat you bad for not getting a VR-4 right away! you'll always be cool with us bro.
Old 07-09-2004, 10:40 AM   #9
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

Awesome! well i do have VR-4 and this morning i was thinking about it again and i know i wont get the 240 first...it will be a waste of time and money. Maybe after i get the VR-4 then i may. But i may just get an SL then i like supercharge it or something fun like that. That would be awesome tho...have a base (mine but going to be my dads when i'm 16) a SL and a VR-4 all in our drive-way. That sounds pretty sweet to me. Thanks again everyone..you guys rock...you are so nice and awesome i can have friends like that.

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Old 07-09-2004, 12:45 PM   #10
HKmitsubishiman
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to HKmitsubishiman Send a message via AIM to HKmitsubishiman

Hey sup yall, I just thought about something improtant. Just like wut yogs said. For your first car, it's not a good idea to get a fast one. So if this is gonna be your first car, I prefer you to just get a 240sx, and don't do SR20 swap for like a year or 2. It's kinda danger to drive those cars as your first car, it's not because you're a bad driver, it's because those cars need a lot of experience to drive them fast. I've been driving for a long long time already, I still spinned out with my 3000gt and hit the wall, haha. And I just bought it few days b4 I crashed.
HKmitsubishiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:03 PM   #11
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

I'd say keep the base for 2 more years, and keep saving the whole time. Once you have the experience of driving (on public roads with other drivers and different conditions) then get the vr4. By then you will have the money to get a really nice one, or mod the hell out of one, and you'll be soo much happier. I wanted a vr4 since I was 15, and I didn't get it till 20, and I am glad I did, because it is fast as hell, and I definantly had a few close calls and without the proper experience and a good bit of luck, I could have ruined the car and my life. Just my .02
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
Musashi3000GT
AF Enthusiast

We are not underestimating you. we just worry cause we are few already and like to take care of our own! Personally guys I was 16 when I bought my first GSX and it was hella fast. I dumped like 5 grand into it before I turnned 17 and It was mad powerfull but I always respected it and drove it like hell on the track and like a gentleman on the street. I think if you like the VR-4 go for it but respect it and give yourself time to learn it, If you descide to save up a little longer then good for you too. I personally dont have the money to afford a VR-4 right now but I am supercharging my 94, if your interested I can let you know how it all turns out.
Old 07-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #13
sLADe781
AF Enthusiast

I definitely agree with Igovert500. If you have the money for a VR4, you're pretty much there already. Just work and save a couple more while gaining more experience. And by the time you get your VR4, damn...that's gonna be one happy day for you.
sLADe781 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 11:14 AM   #14
PearlGT
AF Enthusiast

if your not even 16 yet and are planning for a vr-4 then damn you, i wish i was you. But just remember once you turn 16 your flying solo, i remember the first day of driving i felt liberated and slightly terrified at the same time because there was noone judging my every move hahaha. the vr-4 is an awesome car so just dont go insane and crash the thing the next day, i've heard too many stories of kids like us getting nice, fast cars only to total them a few weeks later. I know going fast may be one of the only things on your mind and believe me i do not blame you because i am constantly saving up for a tt conversion on mine but no matter what car you have, try to make wise decisions
PearlGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2004, 09:37 PM   #15
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

I understand what you are all saying and i think you are right on with saying it would be better for me to wait till i'm like 17, 18 to get the VR-4. But i also know me strong points and my weak points. I love to speed i mean who doesn't? But i have good self control. I know that because i have driven my 3000GT i have now for about 100 miles with no one in the car but me. I was legal because i was picking up some paint from a paint store and they were the only ones who had the paint that we need. Anyways, it was for one of our buildings that needed painting. One of our farm buildings and so because it was farm work/for a farm i could drive because i have my farm permit. I didn't speed and remember...this is on flat kansas road where you car see farms from 15 miles away. Also where you can drive for 100 miles and only see 20 cars on the road. But i didn't speed. So i hope you understand where i'm coming from on here. I mean i know myself and i know my dad wouldn't let me get a VR-4 if he didn't trust me. But i agree with Igovert500 too. But i do know myself.

I'm not saying just because my dad did it means i can do it but my dads first car was a 77 trans am in 78 and he was 14 and 7 months old, he drove that for a year then sold it and got a 79 smoke'y the banet edition trans am he got that right before he turned 16. Like i said, my dad did it and that doesn't mean that i should but he trusts me alot. And i wont let him down. Plus its a VR-4 its not like i'm going to go do something dumb with it...15,000 dollars just cant be found everyday if ya know what i mean

By the time i turn 16 i should have $15,000 but with the way things are going i should have close to $22,000 and i'm thinking about buying a $15,000 dollar VR-4. That 7,000 left...but i wont spend all of it. I want to keep alot of it so that why i have insurance money, gas money and repair money (just in case).

94 vr-4 with 58k.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth