Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 07-05-2004, 07:27 PM   #1
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

My exhaust got screwed up today!

So i was driving to work today and BAM! a new sound from my exhaust system comes out. Well just 10 minutes ago i put it up on ramps and found out that my downpipe has a exhaust leak or i'm pretty sure thats where its coming from. I had my friend help me out...i had him get in the car and i got under the car and i had him rev it up to 2k rpm then let on then back up and repeating that over for 1 minute. Well i tryed to feel where the more exhaust was coming out and where it was the loudest. And i found it at the downpipe right where on the end of longer flex pipe. If you dont know where i'm talking about its the flex pipe farest away from the engine (closer to the rear of the car) or right byfore the cat. Anyway, just because i feel alot of exhaust coming out there more the other places don't mean that where it is at does it? Any help would be great.

BTW...if it is the downpipe i'm thinking about getting the downpipe from 3sx.

Oh yea...its a base to...so its NA. But the NA's do have downpipe's just to let the newbie's know.

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Mods: K&N FIPK, HKS EVC IV, HKS boost gauge, testpipe, EGR by-passed.

Sound: Profile Chrome and Gold amplifier (200W) and (2) 10" Red Cone Sony Xplod Subs.

Coming soon: Stillen downpipe, DN rear pre-cat, Defi boost and EGT gauge's with control unit on A-pillar.

youngmanvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 11:40 PM   #2
Teazrsnow
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Teazrsnow Send a message via Yahoo to Teazrsnow
Re: My exhaust got screwed up today!

yeah that'll happen all you gotta do is get either a header set or just a stpck replacement downpipe

2nd Place Drag racing Fwd 3s National Gathering 03[
Teazrsnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:21 AM   #3
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

A header set? Never seen that. All i want is something that just fixs the problem. But i'm not coming across any stock downpipes so i'm just thinking about buying one from 3sxperformance.com and i get some more hp with it to.

Also...when i'm ordering from there i'm going to get some Denso Iridium spark plugs, Accel spark plug wires, K&N FIPK filter from Dynamicracing.com and i think my lifters are ticking...my dad on the otherhand does know if it really is the lifters. It does have 144k on it so i really think thats what it is. So i may need to buy some "3rd gen" lifters.

What do you guys think the sound is on my engine. It scares the crap out of my. And my dad wants to take it in to a shop and see what they think it is. But most shop and even some Mitsubishi shop's may not even know what it is and not even know a think about the 3000GT's.

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Sound: Profile Chrome and Gold amplifier (200W) and (2) 10" Red Cone Sony Xplod Subs.

Coming soon: Stillen downpipe, DN rear pre-cat, Defi boost and EGT gauge's with control unit on A-pillar.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:09 PM   #4
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

Its sucks...my dad did some callin around and found a place that will fix the exhaust leak in the flexpipe for 100 bucks. All he is going to do is just replace the flexpipe...and that sucks becuase i wanted to get a new 3SX downpipe and get somemore hp. What do you guys think about just replacing the flexpipe...good, bad or dumb?

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Old 07-06-2004, 07:59 PM   #5
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

Depends, I would just drop the money for the aftermarket dp, but that is just me. Exhaust leaks suck, I had 2 on my honda, but both were from the gaskets. So I'd check those to being that you are going to have it off already. They are really cheap and good to replace. If you do, get copper gaskets, as they are better at dealing with the heat and 'molding' right to prevent further leaks. Just what my mechanic told me. Hope that helps.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 08:26 PM   #6
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

I dont think that he is going to replace the gaskets or take the headers off i should say. So heres my deal. Its going to take 100 bucks to put the new flexpipe in. And i'm not going to pay half of the 100 to fix it becasue i was only going to get the downpipe or a new stock dp. So its only 50 more bucks for my dad to get a aftermarket one from 3SX for 300 bucks because i'll pay for half of that. So i dont really understand. That one problem with owning half of a car with your dad and also with a dad that doesn't understand aftermarket stuff and thinks its a waste of time and money. But i still love him.

94 vr-4 with 58k.

Old 07-06-2004, 10:28 PM   #7
racer6
AF Regular

samething happend to my car and im going to order my down pipe from 3sx does it change the sound of your car almost to a perr sound?

chris's bad azz 3000gt sl (''sucks gas & hauls ass'')
(chick magnet)
racer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 11:51 PM   #8
Igovert500
blue + red light magnet

racer6 - It will make the car a bit louder. Not perhaps a purring like an italian car or anything, it will be noticeably deeper and throaty.

dsm - the gaskets will come out with the downpipe. If you are changing/replacing the downpipe the gaskets will come out too. (They are the 1/8" thick metal things that sit between the connections(ie downpipe and exhaust manifold and downpipe/cat). So if the flex section is busted, the downpipe will need to come out and therefore the gaskets will be right there.( I think they're called gaskets, I'm drunk, but im 99% sure that I got the right word). Regardless, you may wish to change them, my mechanic suggested it in my honda when that happened. It is just better to prevent further exhaust leaks down the road, and since they are so cheap I did it. Good luck.
-Cusco front + rear strut bars
-Greddy type-s
-ATR downpipe
-no cats
-15Gs, 3sx aluminum pulley, FMIC, SAFC, walboro pump, EVO 560ccs, and Meth Injection Kit all waiting to go in shortly.

Your 1996 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4 is the 92nd out of the 315 that were made that year. Only 21 of which are exactly identical.
Igovert500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 10:59 PM   #9
youngmanvr4
AF Enthusiast

Oh...i got ya. See, i was thinking you meant the engine/head to exhaust manifold gasket. But i'm almost forsure he is going to replace the other to gaskets. The car should be done tomorrow sometime. I just got back from droping her on. I miss her already. Thanks for the info tho.

94 vr-4 with 58k.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mitsubishi > 3000GT/Stealth