Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 02-25-2004, 06:41 AM   #1
mrhogwild
AF Newbie

Unhappy Toyota 4runner V6 problems

I would like to know more about the poor review by Consumer Reports. The V6 engine recieved the lowest rating that is given. Does anyone have any idea what is up?
mrhogwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:42 AM   #2
Brian R.
Resident Chemist

Send a message via Yahoo to Brian R.
Re: Toyota 4runner V6 problems

It was a short-term judgement that means very little. It is unclear what prompted this rating (early fuel pulse damper problem perhaps), but if you consider the lack of experience with this engine, it was very poorly thought out. I cannot remember Toyota ever marketing an unreliable engine design. There may be problems that remain undiscovered until the engine is in mass production (vs R&D production), but Toyota will spend alot of time and money on design and QA to ensure their engines are reliable. More so than almost any other car manufacturer at this price range.
Brian R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:51 AM   #3
racepauly
AF Newbie

Remember Guys, This 4.0 L V6 that was rated poor has an aluminum HEAD and BLOCK. The first for Toyota to make on an SUV. I bet that is what all the commotion is all about. Does anyone out there have proof of this yet. Maybe someone with a 2003 Model. My 2004 4runner Sport Edition is still too new, but if I notice anything I will keep ya posted.
racepauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2004, 05:00 PM   #4
racepauly
AF Newbie

Here's what ConsumerReports had to say: Japan: Best and worst. Honda, Nissan, Mazda, and Toyota were among the makes well represented in the top ranks of reliability. The Toyota Camry (redesigned for 2002) and Nissan Altima, which had sunk to average in our 2002 survey, have improved to above average.

Some Japanese nameplates had a mixed showing. Nissan and Subaru have generally good reliability, but the entry-level Nissan Sentra sedan dropped to below average, and the new-for-2003 Subaru Baja truck was much below average. The redesigned 2003 Toyota 4Runner was below average in its V6 version (it was subject to a recall for a fuel-system problem). The V8, however, was much better than average......
I have a relative that works for Lexus (toyota) and she was able to run a check on the 2003 and 2004 issue's, here's what I got. "I checked on the reliability issues and here's what I found.

In 2003's there were 2 issues.....
There was a belt noise in extremely cold temps--this has been corrected on the production line several months ago.

ALSO

There was a leak on the damper of the fuel system. There was a campaign created to complete a fix on all of these, and the change also has been done on the assembly line.

There are no current problems. You're in great shape"

So looks like the data that ConsumerReports printed out has already been resolved.

Good luck with your 4Runners.
racepauly is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Toyota > 4Runner/GX470