Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical
Engineering/Technical Ask technical questions about cars. Do you know how a car engine works?
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 10:35 PM   #1
DRAFT
AF Newbie

Mpg

How Do I Get Better Mpg In My 2000 Dodge Ram 2500 W/360??????
DRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:37 PM   #2
UncleBob
AF -Advisor

Re: Mpg

is this a serious question?

Even if you could achieve 10% increase in mpg, a very impressive percentage, would you notice the difference?

The simplist answer is: buy something that gets better mileage

Three turbo'd motorcycles and counting.
UncleBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 12:54 AM   #3
curtis73
Professional Ninja Killer

You're using a honkin' V8 to push a brick through the air while spinning big heavy tires. Its the worst possible setup.

Narrower highway rib tires instead of those A/T or M/T mudders you see. 235mm width max. Keep the wheels stock size; no need for 18s or 20s, just keep stock steel 16" on there. Sometimes headers and exhaust will help, but stick with the normal tune up things; plugs, wires, cap, rotor.

Or, buy a Corolla.
Old 03-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #4
DRAFT
AF Newbie

Thanx Guys Im Just Lookin 2 Get At Least 14mpg In The City/right Now Im Getting About 10 So Wood It Be Dumb To Get Cold Air Induction W/k-n Air Filter ,headers?and I Heard If I Get A Spacer That Will Up My Mpg,if I Cut My Cat Off Will That Up My Mpg? I Dont Want To Get Rid Of My Truck! What About A Turbo Or Superchip?
DRAFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
KiwiBacon
AF Enthusiast

Despite what the marketing people tell you, a free flow filter does not help fuel economy. A cold air intake can make fuel economy worse.

Easiest ways to save fuel are to drive smoother, slower and use higher gears (if you can). Then you're into how you maintain and what you fit to your vehicle.
KiwiBacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
j cAT
AF Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRAFT
Thanx Guys Im Just Lookin 2 Get At Least 14mpg In The City/right Now Im Getting About 10 So Wood It Be Dumb To Get Cold Air Induction W/k-n Air Filter ,headers?and I Heard If I Get A Spacer That Will Up My Mpg,if I Cut My Cat Off Will That Up My Mpg? I Dont Want To Get Rid Of My Truck! What About A Turbo Or Superchip?

if you replace transmission fluid /engine oil to synthetic and remove truck tires to passenger tires and get k&n air filter you might get 2mpg more....exhaust/cat changes may decrease mileage.... lowering vehicle will help air drag.....these superchips provide more power not gas mileage...run higher air pressures in tires....clean MAF sensor with MAF cleaner....
j cAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:24 PM   #7
curtis73

Going from 10 to 14 is a 40% increase. That's really tough, and quite honestly unrealistic. Unless something is really out of whack right now like ignition, fuel system, or plugged cats, all the help in the world is probably not going to get you a 40% increase in mileage.

Skinny tires will help reduce rolling resistance. Their lighter weight will also help a tiny bit in town since you won't be using as much right foot to get the same acceleration.

A good tune up will get it back to its original glory or close to it.

Don't fall for gimmicks like tuning chips or fuel catalysts. One thing that might help is a higher temp thermostat. If you don't already have one, swap to a 195* stat. The engine will lose a little power, but it will also inject less fuel.

You might pick up an MPG or two when your area switches back to "summer" fuel if you live in a cooler climate. Winter blended fuels contain up to 15% ethanol which hurts mileage

Find out your rear axle ratio. Sometimes trucks (especially 3/4 ton and up) are geared to work/tow. You might pick up a little by switching from your 4.10s to 3.73s or similar. If you already have 3.73s I wouldn't neuter it with 3.42s or anything steeper.

Figure out your yearly fuel cost at your current mileage, add in all the modifications you would have to do to get a few more MPG, add the trade-in value of your current truck, then price out a same-year cummins. My guess is that they'll be similar in total investment, but the cummins truck will give you 20-25 mpg all the time. That's double what you're getting now, plus you'll double your torque, have much higher resale value, and an engine that is designed to go 300k miles and more without any major service. Basically what I'm saying is, you'll invest the same, but the higher mileage of the diesel will start paying you back compared to keeping your existing truck.

Just a thought.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:23 PM   #8
HeWhoKillz
AF Regular

I heard them chips aren't any help.
HeWhoKillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2008, 05:09 AM   #9
curtis73

It depends on the chip/tuning. Most factory programming keeps things a bit on the rich side. The drawback is a bit higher HC emissions, but the benefits are lower NOx emissions and less chance of detonation when John Q Idiot tries to tow too much weight or forgets to flush his radiator. Some power and fuel economy can be gained by leaning out the mixture on some vehicles, but its neglegible. I didn't gain any when I leaned out mine. I picked up 10 hp, but it didn't do anything at the pump. Some cars show a noticable increase, but its tiny.

Most generic performance "chips" also advance the timing which requires the use of premium fuel... which completely negates any money savings you might have gained from any increase in MPG.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Engineering/Technical