Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > SVX
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Closed Thread Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 07:11 AM   #1
fearless_simian
AF Enthusiast

Any other SVXs out there?

I was just wondering who my fellow SVX owners are. It feels like between the outrageous claims of ownership and the rarity of SVXs that this car is claimed to be ownedd by fewer then almost any other car on the board.

(Of course I believe all those people who claim to own Diablos, murcialegos, and mclarens)
Old 07-01-2003, 03:13 PM   #2
NSX
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to NSX Send a message via AIM to NSX Send a message via MSN to NSX Send a message via Yahoo to NSX
There's a few in Toronto, although I don't have one. How is the SVX? Consumer Reports says it's not as reliable as say, an Impreza, & its accessibility wasn't as great as well.

HOwever, I think the SVX looks amazing! hehe WHat do you think of the SVX?

Old 07-01-2003, 04:54 PM   #3
fearless_simian
AF Enthusiast

I love it!

The reliability things are a true point. There are three main failings.

The brake rotors occasionally can get warped due to the fact that the car weighs 3500+ lbs and the rotors were not quite large enough. The stopping power is very nice though. Its just advisable to not stomp the brake if you can avoid it.

The second is the rear wheel bearings which will go sometimes. This was compounded by the fact that replacements are shipped in packing grease that is not meant for being used, so if a mechanic who doesn't know this and does not repack them with a good synthetic grease like they are supposed to th car will go through bearings often. If this is fixed correctly then no major problems should reoccur.

The last problem was the transmission. Its a 4eat trasnmission if I remember and it is the same as the one on a MPV (weird) It just wasn't quite strong enough for a car with this much power with all wheel drive. also it had bad heat displacement issues. installation of a sepperate transmission filter(which later became standard) greatly helps this problem. and addition of an aftermarket transmission cooler will also ensure safety.

other then these problems the car is very well built and can expect very good life.
This car is so much fun to drive. with 230 hp and 228 tq it can move... and very nicely. It was compaired with porsche 911's at the time it was made. It is not quite the equal but not terribly far off. It also is one of th eonly other cars besides the 911 that has a flat 6 for an engine. This all aluminum block is fantastic. It runs amazingly smooth. you can start the car pop the hood and put a hand on the block and you can barely feel it vibrate.
The handling on this car is flat out amazing. It hugs turns. I get freaked out at how hard I can corner long before the car minds. I took a offramp at 60 recently to see how it would do and it was really thrilling. The car had no problem although I was feeling the push.

sure there are better performing cars out there but this car is very underappreciated. It came along at a odd time and was too exspensive to sell under the subaru brand at the time so it fell into obscurity. As a result you can now find these cars at a steal. Often times the people who owned them previously were major enthusiasts and babied the cars as well so they are often in nice condition.
Mine currently I am bringing back up to snuff as it sat in a driveway for most of a year and the paint needs some touchup work which I am doing. There were some other goofy issues mine had from the previous driver. I think they really nailed a pothole so one of th esupports on th estrut was inverted and I replaced both the front struts. which now are very happy indeed.

overall just a great car. almost all the revues of it are glowing.
hmmmm I think I'll go find a windy road now and have some more fun.

p.s. the weird half windows are fun! very distinctive and a major benifit is they can be all the way down at highway speeds and create very little noise in the car.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:48 AM   #4
Dr. Love
AF Newbie

I had never even heard of this car until I found this section of the forums and then I went and looked the car up on the internet. It looks pretty cool. But it is very rare, I have never seen one in real life. The car must turn heads everywhere you go, and people asking you what it is.
Old 07-04-2003, 01:12 PM   #5
fearless_simian
AF Enthusiast

yeah its a bit of a head turner.
Now that I own one I spot them more often. But to date I have still only seen 4 others then my own. and all but one were pearl white.
Old 07-08-2003, 09:05 PM   #6
tirminyl
AF Newbie

I love these cars. Again I never knew what they were until I saw one pull infront of me one night. I saw SVX on the back and liked its looks and then searched on the net. I want to try to find more forums to see more pics
Old 09-25-2003, 10:45 PM   #7
tha_new_guy
AF Enthusiast

Cant go wrong with an SVX.....

"Please try to refrain from smoking crack while typing. The literate community appreciates your restraint."

AF User Guidelines
Old 11-24-2003, 06:07 PM   #8
klohiq
AF Enthusiast

I don't own one, but I see a lot around me. I live in maine and see a lot in both maine and new hampshire. They are great looking cars...and although a little rare I do see them on a fairly regular basis. I'm a stockman for walmart so I'm out in the parking lot all day so I see a lot of semi-rare cars. Saw a third-gen rx7 a few weeks ago and I've seen 3 2nd-gen supras in the 3 months I've been working there.

Anyway, I plan to get either an SVX or a Legacy 2.5GT for a winter car/people hauler and a 240sx, mr2, or 300zx for my daily driver/modified street car.

Is the power enough to motivate such a hefty vehicle? I want something that isn't boring to drive, but won't spin all four wheels when the road gets a little less than dry.
Old 11-26-2003, 09:51 PM   #9
Dianna33
AF Newbie

Wink

Oh my god, Klohiq you're so hot! teehee!

<3
Old 03-01-2004, 11:17 AM   #10
svx-ff
AF Newbie

Send a message via Yahoo to svx-ff
There is a massive SVX web site that has hundreds of members and all the info that you can ask for.
www.subaru-svx.net
I have had one for about 6 months. Tranny went and I am now replacing the tranny.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:58 AM   #11
keokikenisi
AF Newbie

Re: Any other SVXs out there?

I used to own one but I sold it to my brother. He proceeded to roll it. I know, how the hell do you roll an SVX. It inolves him traveling too fast on a dirt road with a steep dirt bank, a tight corner and bald tires. You can ask himself if you like. I think he posted pictures at www.chrisdenise.com. Anyways, I think he owns three right now. One red one with a 6spd manual, one pearl with the original auto and the black one (my old SVX) which is the rolled one. He has done all sorts of things to them so if you have any questions about whether or not it works, email him from his sight. I think he actually bought a forth gutted one to strip the body panels to repair the one he rolled.

I have seen a number of them out here in Hawaii. On Maui, and island of just 120k people or so, I have identified at least 4. Here in Honolulu I have seen at least a dozen more. There is even a few modified ones out here in Honolulu, seeing as how the rice rocket craze is out of control here. With the auto tranny these cars are fast. They kind of move slowly off the line for the first 15-20mph but as soon as the high rpms kick in they rocket. There isnt more then about a second between about 20 and 40. Same thing once it hits about 55. The upper rpms of 2nd gear is just amazing there. If you are trying to beat someone off the line, you need a turbo and a 6spd manual, but if you are looking for upper end numbers, these things are good. I personally hit 140 in mine and it felt like about 90 or 100.
Old 12-01-2004, 02:50 PM   #12
Subster
AF Newbie

I know this is an old thread but Hi I have an SVX. I'm from MN. Mods: Slotted/cryo'd rotors, perrin foam panel air filter, ss brake lines, subs, amp, deck, and some Tenzo R 17's. It's Polo green and has 137,000 miles on it. I have lots of plans for her. I have been on the circuit with it and it handles alright, I passed a few cars and the only guy that could catch me last time was a new GTO, and that was only on the straights. Good car, very solid. If I had a second car, I would strip this one down to lose some weight.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:46 PM   #13
HellzX
AF Newbie

Send a message via MSN to HellzX

Edmonton, AB, CANADA
My sister owns one. In my city of about 1mil people, I have seen 3 others.
Old 02-06-2005, 05:02 PM   #14
Sybaris
AF Newbie

I have one
Old 05-08-2005, 03:36 PM   #15
turk66460
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to turk66460 Send a message via Yahoo to turk66460

Ahh i got a new SVX check out the pics.

Last edited by turk66460; 09-22-2005 at 03:11 PM.

Closed Thread

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Subaru > SVX