Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
F Series Forum covers questions and discussions regarding Ford F-150, Ford F-250, Ford F-350, Ford F-450, Ford F-550, Ford F-650, and Ford F-750.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 08:54 PM   #1
ken_man_1
AF Regular

Unhappy Oil Pan Gasket?

I did some research on this forum and for some reason I can't find anything on the oil pan removal or gasket replacement. So, I'll ask and see if anyone here has done it.

I've got a 2003 F250, 5.4L, Auto 4x4.

Oil leak initially looked like it was coming from something that was run over (from the ground like a bottle of oil was run over). Oil was on the front axle and all along the passenger side. I looked further and it looked like the oil was coming from the inside of the bell housing - but once I removed the inspection plate, the whole inside was clean. So I know for sure it isn't the rear main seal.

So, now I'm looking to drop the pan and replace the gasket. I am wondering if the pan is able to be dropped without pulling the engine or dropping the transmission. I looked at Autozone's repair site, and it's pretty unclear. I might/might not have to drop the trans.

If anyone has done this, could you please let me know? I've done a few Chevy 5.7's, and you could unbolt the motor mounts and just jack up the engine - but I'm not sure if it can be done here.
ken_man_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
ken_man_1
AF Regular

Unhappy Re: Oil Pan Gasket?

Upon even further review, I've been looking at the block itself. The oil seems to trail all the way up the block to the back side of the head. There is a significant amount of rust and corrosion on the block itself. Is it possible that there is a pinhole in the block that is letting oil out somewhere? I'm personally saying no, but I've chipped off a huge amount of rust "scales" - layers upon layers. Otherside, it's possible that a head gasket is leaking only oil externally? Some days there is no oil whatsoever and other it's quite a bit. No rhyme or reason for the significant amounts.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
fordtrucksonly
AF Regular

Re: Oil Pan Gasket?

I can't remember on the 5.4L but there maybe a plug on the backside of the head (should be T30 torx head plug with a o-ring.) Like i said I don't know if the 5.4 has it or not.. Maybe something to look into. I would say no on the pin hole theory but I'm not gonna swear on it just because I've seen motors do crazy things. Can you take a picture of it?
'95 Ford F-150
Ford Racing Pride
General Motors who?
2004-2008 Ford Master Certified Technician
fordtrucksonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 07:56 AM   #4
ken_man_1
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtrucksonly View Post
I can't remember on the 5.4L but there maybe a plug on the backside of the head (should be T30 torx head plug with a o-ring.) Like i said I don't know if the 5.4 has it or not.. Maybe something to look into. I would say no on the pin hole theory but I'm not gonna swear on it just because I've seen motors do crazy things. Can you take a picture of it?
Wish I could take a picture of where I'm looking specifically. Very tight quarters in there. I've scraped away the rust for the most part. That plug is on the 5.4, and it's sealed real good - nothing coming from that at all. When I removed the fender liner, I could wiggle up in there to see that plug.

What reall got me looking was the oil was really bad - then nothing at all. Coming off of the starter and all down the bell housing, too. Very strange.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
dfordski
AF Regular

I had a leak a while back that ended up coming down from the back edge of a valve cover. upon closer inspection I found that the top rear corner bolt was hand tight . thightened all the bolts to spec and that was the end of it.
Old 12-17-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
ken_man_1
AF Regular

That was the first thing I checked. I was hoping and praying that would do it, but they were tight. I've just gone through and thoroughly cleaned all oil and residue from infected area, and now I'm trying to get it to leak again. It was down 1 3/4 quarts of oil. Possibly coing to change pcv valve - maybe it was due to too much pressure cause the pcv valve was stuck??
Old 12-17-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
dfordski
AF Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_man_1 View Post
That was the first thing I checked. I was hoping and praying that would do it, but they were tight. I've just gone through and thoroughly cleaned all oil and residue from infected area, and now I'm trying to get it to leak again. It was down 1 3/4 quarts of oil. Possibly coing to change pcv valve - maybe it was due to too much pressure cause the pcv valve was stuck??
Well we can hope! It is possible.
Old 12-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #8
way2old
TOKEN HILLBILLY

Look really close at the rear of the head. Ford modular engines are known to leak oil out from under the head.

The sooner you fall behind the more time you'll have to catch up.
HEY Y'ALL--READ THIS
Here are some of our old vehicles for sale.

way2old is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 07:30 AM   #9
ken_man_1
AF Regular

Thumbs up Re: Oil Pan Gasket?

Quote:
Originally Posted by way2old View Post
Look really close at the rear of the head. Ford modular engines are known to leak oil out from under the head.
Just as a recap on this problem - I fixed it, as it was absolutely leaking from out of the back side of the passenger side head. New head gaskets fixed that issue. Sorry for waiting so long to post.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Tags
gasket , oil*pan , oilpan
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Ford > F Series