Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Car Rumors & Concepts
Car Rumors & Concepts Post pictures and discuss the upcoming cars, rumors and spy photos.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 03-12-2001, 02:04 PM   #1
enzo@af
Old Mod

Send a message via ICQ to enzo@af Send a message via AIM to enzo@af
Okay, so here we are with quite an insurgence of European supercars about to be released (i.e. Porsche Carrera GT, VW W-12....) and Road and Track gives a sneak peak at them all in this month's issue. But, while reading I got kind of confused. They have the new Lambo, still called the L-147 (it's not the canto you may have seen previously...that's done with), and they also have the W-12 which is set for debut in 2003.

What is VW doing? I mean, why are they introducing two very similar cars at the same time? Both have 12 cylinders, both have quite edgy, angular styling, and both are mid-engined. Why? Why are they saturating ONE section of the market? Sure, one's a roadster and one's a coupe...but they will both soon have variants. Are they just getting interest in each section (roadster enthusiasts here, coupe enthusiasts there) and then hoping to diversify the market later?

Personally, I think the powers that be should have taken the W-12 platform and made it into an "entry-level" Lamborghini. I mean, nothing against VW....but they're not a supercar manufacturer. That's like Chevrolet introducing a "GeoVette" or a saturn supercar (yeah, I know). It's just a contradiction. VW should leave the supercars to Lambo, Porsche, and even Audi. As for the entry-level opinion...why not? Every great supercar maker has a less expensive, less powerful model.
Ferrari: 550 and 360 (or, 512 and 355/348)
Lotus: Esprit V8 and Elise or M250
Porsche: Carrera GT/ 996 turbo and 911/ boxster
Even Honda: NSX and S2000
That's why I was so excited with the Cala concept...a less extravagant, smaller, entry level lambo...but it didn't make it.

Personally, I don't think VW is making a good move. I think it would be wiser to at least redesign the W-12 into a lamborghini, thus letting Lambo compete in the supercar (355, S2000) and ultra-supercar (550, carrera GT) markets.

Just my two cents. Any opinions? I have plenty more, but I don't want to keep typing.
Old 03-12-2001, 06:30 PM   #2
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

You're right. VW isn't known for there exotics. Lambo should take the platform and build an entry level model. Something better than an S2000, more like a 70-90k model. Porsche has a good idea with the Carrera GT, it finally lets them better keep up with Ferrari, Lamborghini, Bugatti and The Mercedes SLR when it becomes a production model.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2001, 08:38 PM   #3
enzo@af
Old Mod

S2000: Yeah, it's not a supercar but I was just trying to show the entry-level relationship. But, I'd love to have one.

Carrera GT: I think they're keeping up with the other big boys in style now...they always had the performance. This is the first Porsche that has ever made my jaw drop from styling...I take that back....917 did, and the 962 kind of did. But, you get the point.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:16 AM   #4
Innotech
AF Regular

Send a message via ICQ to Innotech
MM.....I think you have fallen behind a bit.,..there WILL BE a entry level V10 engined Lamborghini! Project P140 has been ongoing for about a decade now. As for the Volkswagen, I think it is cancelled to make room for the bugatti EB16/4 Veyron, which with the now rated 1200 BHP, and 920 ft/ pounds torque, will be its TOP MODEL. Also, the Bentley car is under consideration but looks unlikely to reach the market.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:34 AM   #5
enzo@af
Old Mod

P140 is going into production? Oh, great....what poetic justice. My "dream" is finally becoming reality and it's that ugly thing.

The "Baby Diablo" looks like a cheap replicar that's based on a Diablo. I was hoping they would toss that idea.
Old 03-13-2001, 09:38 AM   #6
enzo@af
Old Mod

And so the VW won't be produced? Road and Track said that it will be a 2003 model. Well, that solves the "split-ticket" dilemma.
Old 03-13-2001, 02:10 PM   #7
Porsche
Pretty much amazing

Send a message via MSN to Porsche

Who will be designing the baby-lambo powerplant? Or is it already made? A 1200 hp Bugatti! I'm sorry, that's too much, 800 is well enough for me.

ec437 on grammar;
Quote:
Originally Posted by ec437
I'd've
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2strokebloke
Any car built by "Dr. Technology" is probably not worth $5000
Porsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2001, 01:36 AM   #8
TheMan5952
Volvo Guy

Send a message via AIM to TheMan5952
Nice, I hope VW makes a V12 Car. They need something up there, it seems that all the Germans over there have a Supercar. I think it's about time VAG(Volkswagen Audi Group) gets into the game. I hope they pull through and make the car.

Sold!1993 volvo 850
Intake, Exhaust, Springs, Shock, I.C.E.
TheMan5952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2001, 02:11 PM   #9
blatch
AF Enthusiast

Send a message via ICQ to blatch Send a message via AIM to blatch
vw is known for their exotics.

one word for you:

Bugatti.

blatch likes caffeine.
blatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2001, 11:31 AM   #10
Hudson
Old Mod

I'm pretty sure the argument was being made that Volkswagen BRAND is not known for exotics. Just because Volkswagen AG (the company) has recently purchased Automobili Lamborghini and the Bugatti brand name doesn't mean that even the company is "known" for exotics. That's like GM buying Lotus and being "known" for building high-end sports cars.
Hudson is offline   Reply With Quote