Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 09-07-2005, 06:01 PM   #1
billsgal
AF Newbie

fuel gauge, temperature and oil pressure gauges

1988 190e: when I step on the brake OR drive in reverse, the fuel gauge and others in its cluster drop to zero, reversing once I go off brake, OR shift back to park, neutral or drive. Anybody ever heard of this before, or have any idea what could cause it? Thanks, Bill
billsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
billsgal
AF Newbie

Cool

ok, I found it myself, I hope! (the reason I say I hope is that it sounds downright illogical).
I sanded the fuse connections and reinserted the fuse. Everything is now working normally, and I hope it lasts(?)

By the way, the air conditioner would sometimes work on the way to a store, then not on the way back, etc. I did the same fuse connection sanding and finally got a two way cool trip...hope it lasts.. if so, I may have discovered a miracle cure for a lot of things. :-) Bill
billsgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2005, 05:39 PM   #3
maheath
AF Newbie

You should proactively replace the fuses every two to five years. It only costs about $10 to replace the fuses and their connections can cause strange problems if left in service too long.
maheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
SUMOBOY
AF Regular

I'm glad you fixed the problem. With that being said, there are a few other things to watch with mid 80s cars. If you start having intermittent gauge problems again, check the fuse behind the instrument cluster, and check the overvoltage protection relay. You may want to keep mas suggestio in mind as to replacing the fuses and/or cleaning contacts again. Steel wool, or a teflon safe potscrubber, or even a pink eraser will take the patina off the contacts, as well as nail polish remover rubbed on them.

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Mercedes-Benz > General Discussion