Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 10:40 AM   #1
nik_istinov
AF Newbie

No electrical equipment working except headlight, cannot start the car

Car started fine i the morning then shut off in a couple seconds and white smoke came out from under the hood, passenger side. Now there is no electrical equipment working except headlights and chime. There is nothing heppens when you turn the egnition key. Battery is charged and there is no blown fuses in the box on the side of the dashboard. Any sujections on what to troubleshoot?
nik_istinov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2004, 11:59 AM   #2
MrPbody
AF -Advisor

Re: No electrical equipment working except headlight, cannot start the car

Look at the connection on the back of the alternator (a fairly heavy wire). As you haven't said what model or year the car is, that's the best I can do. There may be a "fusable link" inline to that connection, that can also go away. It may be prudent to get a book on your car.
MrPbody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2005, 02:48 AM   #3
KTJNMD
AF Newbie

I would be interested in what you found out. I am having the same problem with mine, except for the white smoke. No electrical from anything that turns on with the key.I replaced the ignition switch and still no go. Let me know what you find out.
KTJNMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 08:35 PM   #4
nik_istinov
AF Newbie

how to fix it

Get a voltmeter and a long automobile wire and test all wires that come from starter to different parts of car. Also check all fuses and fusible links. On some cars there is a second box with fuses under the hood close to battery normally. There are bunch of fusible links right next to starter and two near battery compartment. Find how your egnition wire runs on electrical scheme and test it all the way to egnition switch. Also you can try to simply disconnect battery for about 5 minutes, it will reset your computer. Other than that it is a pain on the neck to fix it. Also it will be very usefull to go to dealership, electical shops, walk in through the back and discribe the problem directly to mechanics. (think of a good excuse for them to help you before you go)
nik_istinov is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Pontiac > General Discussion