Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online!
Automotive Forums .com - the leading automotive community online! 
-
Latest | 0 Rplys
Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding
Register FAQ Community Arcade Calendar
Metal Shaping and Welding Discuss metal shaping and welding techniques. Share your projects or tips and tricks.
Reply Show Printable Version Show Printable Version | Email this Page Email this Page | Subscription Subscribe to this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 05:56 PM   #1
TheHuHu
AF Newbie

Re-attaching a car door.

I got in a car accident a week ago which resulted in the right-rear side of my car to be raped.

Is it possible to re-attach a car door by yourself? To fix the damages would be more expensive than the car itself; it's a POS 1995 Plymouth Neon.

There's this place in my town called Pick-N-Pull which is basically a junkyard with thousands of cars. You basically pick and pull parts you need off these cars and pay a small fee for it. I was looking to take a door off one of the many Neons there and re-attach it to my car.

I highly freakin' doubt it can be done without some sort of machine, but I'm out of ideas here.
TheHuHu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #2
wileypdf
AF Newbie

Re: Re-attaching a car door.

I can't imagine what would be so hard about put another door on? I know that I can do it with the use of my car jack, a 2x4 (to separate the door from the jack) and a wrench. four bolts hold the hinges on to the front part of the body, simply attach the new door (while in the open possition) with those bolts and leave them loose. Close your door gently and try to get everything to line up appropriately then tighten all the bolts (works best with the front fender off). If anything is off, loosen the bolts and adjust as needed then retighten and retest the door opening and closing. Works really well with an extra pair of hands.
wileypdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:37 PM   #3
midgetracing28
AF Regular

Send a message via MSN to midgetracing28 Send a message via Yahoo to midgetracing28

a door is held on with six bolts most of the time and swapping doors is easy as hell so long as u got a friend to hold it up while u start the bolts. the only hard part is the wiring so if u have power windows and locks it might be a lil more tricky im not sure if they have a disconnect or not but if u got crank windows and manual locks it takes about 30 minutes to swap doors.
midgetracing28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
wafrederick
Banned

Get the door painted too and the paint code is on the radatior support on a tag.Differant colored doors look like a "sore thumb" on the car
wafrederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 01:46 AM   #5
peter2008
Banned

A car door separating and attaching device includes a base, a jack mounted on the base, an angle adjusting base and a clamp frame mounted on the jack. The angle adjusting base adjusts the angle of the clamp frame to suit to the door of a car, and the jack lifts them to a height needed. Then the distance between two clamp rods of the clamp frame and then the distance between the two clamp rods and a lateral tube are adjusted according to the size of the door of a car to be separated or attached. Thus the door or tailgate of a car is securely clamped by the device, permitting only one worker perform separating or attaching work with easiness and convenience.
__________________________________________________ ________________
Advertising removed by Moderator.

Last edited by '97ventureowner; 10-16-2008 at 08:03 AM.
peter2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 AM   #6
'97ventureowner
AF Moderator

Please check the date of the last post in the thread and do not respond if that date is longer than 3 months from the current date.
From AF's Community Guidelines:
POSTING IN CLOSED OR OUTDATED THREADS:
If a thread has been closed, there is probably a logical reason for it. If you feel that the reason(s) for closure of the original thread are unjustified or wish further clarification feel free to contact any member of the moderating team. However, do not start a new thread about another closed thread.

Please avoid posting or voting in outdated threads. It merely clutters up the message board and makes it more difficult for fellow members to sort through the vast amount of information contained on the boards. If you have new and important information to add regarding a past discussion, feel free to start a new thread and if need be, add a link to the original thread.

The link to these guidelines can be found here:http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...uidelines.html

Closed.

If a prostitute here in America loses her job to a prostitute in India , is that considered "outwhoring"??-Jay Leno

" A Good Thing To Know"
'97ventureowner is offline   Reply With Quote

POST REPLY TO THIS THREAD

Go Back   Automotive Forums .com Car Chat > Fabrication & Tools > Metal Shaping and Welding